husband is home

crazymama30

So I picked husband up on Saturday. I have decided that in the current health care system that it does not matter what type of hospital you are in, they all discharge just a bit before pt is ready to go home.

husband was told on Thursday that he would be staying another week, and then Friday morning he was told he has to leave that day. He told them no way could he go right then, he lives 200miles from psychiatric hospital and I was at work. They kept him untill Saturday.

They did not d/c him with a scrip for ambien which they had been giving him to sleep. He did fine on Saturday, but did not sleep untill about 5am this morning, and he has a 8:30am appointment. The tardive is back from the risperdal they put him on, did not start untill yesterday and by last night his whole jaw was moving.

He is going to start out pt for substance abuse rehab, and he had better follow through with it.

pepperidge

Hope he sticks with it. Must be kind of scary for you. I am sure it would have been nice to have had him in the safety of the hospital a while longer. Maybe that was why difficult child lost it this morning?

Will his local psychiatrist be able to give you the medications? Is there something else he can take than the Risperdal or was that just a temporary thing?

You are a woman of courage and clear boundaries!

DDD

Hoping for the best. You're doing an outstanding job in difficult circumstances. Hugs. DDD

crazymama30

pepper, it could have been having husband home threw difficult child off. However, after he really did not have to go to school and after his medications kicked in? difficult child was an angel.

husband and I got alot done today, went to court (long story), checked out one outpt place and decided to go with the place he already has an appointment on friday with. He has an appointment with pain doctor tommorrow, and calls into psychiatrist and therapist. Plus I found out he is not eligible for SSDI, but we do qualify for SSI so we got an appointment for that.

Steely

I have not been able to keep up with the whole story, so I do not have much to offer. However, I do want you to know you are in my thoughts.

I know that I went off of Ambien and I literally did not sleep for 3 days straight. This is not a medication that he should go off of cold turkey.

I also think that the Risperdal should be d/c if he is having the tdk symptoms. I have a friend that has permanent akasthsia from ignoring the tdk signs. I know this is not what anyone wants to hear, because the APs are what the bi-polar patients need most often.

It is a hard and slippery slope - many hugs.

crazymama30

Pepper, field trip went fine, and if he is afraid of his dad he is not acting like it at all. they made cream puffs yesterday, and difficult child has been going up and giving husband hugs.

Sometimes it just does not pay to try to figure a difficult child out, it is not worth the time or energy.

That goes for husband too.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
WTH would they put him back on Risperdal when he's got the history of tardive on it?! Sheesh! Can he take Seroquel? It's supposed to be better for NOT causing movement disorders and the whole reason we have difficult child 2 on it after he developed dystonia to all the other APs.

DammitJanet

Ugh on the ambien situation. I simply cannot sleep without something. I thought my ambien was becoming less effective so I asked to try restoril but honestly I dont think it is working very well at all. I am up till all hours of the night regularly. I think I am going to have to ask to change back or to something else. I can get to sleep sometimes for an hour but I wake up after that hour and am up for at least 3 or 4 hours and then I have a heck of a time attempting to get back to sleep.

I also have a dickens of a time with AP's.

crazymama30

Well, I made him re start the risperdal last night. His thinking was all messed up, and he needed something. He has tried Seroquel, and developed akinesthia while on it. It may be worth revisiting that just to see as since other things are different, maybe it won't happen again.

I don't know what they are going to do with his medications. He has a call into psychiatrist and therapist, and I don't remember if therapist called back but I don't know if he has talked to psychiatrist yet. He has an appointment with psychiatrist on next monday. I think he has an appointment with therapist also.

I am having him use his day planner and trying to put him more in charge of his own stuff. We will see if it works or if it backfires. Who knows

gcvmom

Here we go again!
There are also a few new AP's recently on the market if I'm remember right. Perhaps one of those will be the magic formulation for him that doesn't cause these movement problems.

You are smart to make him take control and be accountable for his own life, but if he's been accustomed to you doing it, I think I'd still hover until it's clear he's got it down. I've been doing that with the difficult children and my husband as well -- they have planners and husband has a smart phone so they have the tools.

One day at a time!