husband & M had lunch today

witzend

I just got a call from husband regarding their lunch, so this is a brief synopsis. I'll get more details at dinner. Apparently, M has been seeing the counselor at school, and understands and agrees that medication could be an aid to helping him in making progress in life. M can see that his position in life hasn't changed much since he left our home, other than that he is now in school. He realizes that he doesn't like himself and that makes it difficult for anyone else to like him. He says that he sees that thinking negatively keeps you from making positive decisions. Around about this time, husband said something along the lines of "You never know what people are really taking in..."

M says (and I take it with a grain of salt) that he will see his counselor next week and ask for a referral for someone to prescribe an anti-depressant. husband told him that we would pay for his prescriptions (one way to make sure he's taking them or at least pretending to take them) if he will make the effort to get them.

It sounds hopeful. The biggest step to solving a problem is admitting that there is a problem. I'll talk more to husband this evening, and let you know. Thanks for all of your good thoughts!

everywoman

That is great news. For the first time, M is admitting that maybe the problem might be with him. What a BIG step.

DammitJanet

Good news! Crossing fingers this comes to pass and is not just being said as something he knows the 'rents want to hear.

witzend

Thanks, all. Word at dinner wasn't that much different than what I got from the phone call. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice if he would follow through. husband made it pretty clear that we weren't going to offer assistance if he weren't getting help for himself. Of course, the more help he gets for himself, the less he should need from us.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds like he may be honestly ready for a change. I hope he is able to follow through. Keeping fingers crossed.

trinityroyal

It sounds like M is gaining insight into his situation and how he contributes to it. I hope that he will follow through, but even just recognizing the issue is a big step.
Fingers crossed that M will continue moving in a positive direction.

Trinity