husband survived his first day at new job!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Poor guy is exhausted, though. He left our house at 6:15am and got to the office by 8:00am.

Coming home took a little longer. I gave him some freeway traffic updates from an online monitoring site... but he really needs to just learn some alternate surface street routes in the event the freeways are just a complete mess. (He's getting a GPS thingy for the car from Santa, so maybe he'll feel brave enough to venture beyond his usual route).

Despite that aspect, he does seem excited about the potential here. Looks like he's going to get his own group of people to manage and there's lots of work for him to do that he's enthusiastic about. I'm trying to help him stay focused on the positive, which is not always easy for him. Right now he's a little overwhelmed with all the paperwork that a new job entails.

He's going to try working from 7am to 4pm tomorrow to see if the commute is any shorter. So he'll be leaving at 5:30am :ashamed:

As for me, it was very quiet around here... I got a TON of laundry done, swept up a bunch of leaves outside, got the dishes done, did some website work, and sorted some clothes for Goodwill before it was time to pick kids up from school. :D I missed him being here, but I felt good about actually accomplishing some things today. He monopolized my time a lot the last 6 months. Sometimes it was good, and sometimes it was downright annoying because I was constantly interrupted to help him do this or that, go here or there.

And so begins the next chapter in our lives!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Whew, another chapter of your life starts. It is a killer commute. (one of the reasons we would pass on moving to Calif) but we do what we have to.
husband drove 55min each way for 2 yrs. He could work from the car and a lot of times we chatted when he was getting bored. Fortunately, they moved the office to less than 30 min. It was a grueling drive when you have had an exhausting day.
Maybe books on cd or his favorite comedy routine/music will help him break up his drive. I always pack myself(I have done a fair amount of distance driving these last few years) bottles of cold water and something with caffeine in case I'm getting worn out.

Anyhow, I'm sure you feel like you have a huge worry off your shoulders. Enjoy the productive day.

maril

Best of luck to your husband on his new journey! Such good news to share.

You are one busy lady. Having the sense of accomplishment really gives a boost. As things have settled in my little nest, we've been able to move on and get more things accomplished (and I like the feeling).

Wishing you all a great day today.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yeah for you! Oh and for husband. LOl

I hope this works out for all of you. It will help his self esteem so much and possibly help the whole family dynamics as well as yours and his.

I hope the drive gets better.

bby31288

I'm glad he survived! That is half the battle. As far as the commute, yes it stinks. But we have to do whatever for a job. husband leaves my house at 4:00 am to travel into New York and gets home about 7:00 pm. It is what it is! I'm glad you had a good day and got alot done. husband will adapt!

KTMom91

I definitely understand the commute issues. Right after Miss KT was born, I was transferred from a store that was 20 min from home on Bay Area freeways, to one that was only 30 miles away, but that required a 90 min drive one way. I changed my schedule to start work at 6 am, and even that didn't always help. That was the deciding factor in moving back here, since I was seeing my newborn baby only about 15-20 hours a week. husband has my sympathy.

M

ML

I'm glad to hear husband feels good about things. That is a very long commute. I hope the earlier shift is better. He'll be going to bed before sundown in the summertime :)

I commute the better part of an hour each way and even that gets to me. I remember living in S. Cal and the traffic was awful. Denver is bad but not quite that bad.

Good luck to husband with the new job. Try to enjoy your freedom!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well he left at 5:30am today and it took about 75 minutes to get there. Not too bad. But coming home, he left at 3:38pm and didn't get back to our area (not even home, mind you -- he met me at easy child's allstar practice field) until 5:45pm. Yuck.

But his attitude is pretty good so far -- and hopefully his medications will help him cope with this better than he would have a few years ago. Or at least long enough until something better comes along!

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm glad the job is looking so good!

When I lived in Atlanta, I commuted 2 hours to work, but, I was much younger. No way would I want to do it now. husband has my sympathies.

witzend

He should ask his co-workers about alternate routes. I have lived in this city for 48 years and only found out last week how to bypass one of the worst bottlenecks in town from a co-worker.

I'm glad he's enjoying himself! It must feel good to be back at work. :)

Fran

Former desparate mom
If there is someway he could ride share with someone. Maybe meet somewhere half way and then they can take turns driving the rest. At least he could snooze or read the paper. I know some places have a shuttle service with vans to try to ease the commuting time and traffic.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm so glad husband is back working ~ I hate long commutes. Is there any mass transit. When I lived in the Pac. NW I loved taking the bus - I could sleep or read the paper on the way to work & not worry about the drive.

I used to get a lot of work done coming & going so when I got home it was home time.

Just a thought.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks all for the commute suggestions. So far, he hasn't met anyone who lives near us or even on his way. But time may change that.

If he were to take public transportation, it would take FOUR hours each way. So not an option.

He's getting a GPS for Xmas, so hopefully he will feel brave enough to try alternate routes. I tried talking him through that on Monday and he refused to try. He's directionally challenged. :p