husband Update

H

HaoZi

Skip the sea salt and pick up the Morton Salt Substitute. That's what my mom had to use, but make sure with doctor he can have the potassium.

crazymama30

instead of lunchmeat or cheese, what about cooking a turkey breast and making turkey sandwiches? Does he like salad (I am almost afraid to ask)? We do a lot of leftovers for lunch, maybe if you are making dinner can you make a bit more and have it for lunch? Or freeze the leftovers and use like a tv dinner? We used to do that with my grandfather and it was very handy.

I hope he is willing to change his lifestyle the way he needs to. It would be much easier that way for both of you.

InsaneCdn

Spices - look into some of the combo spices out there, like Mrs. Dash - bottle tells you what kinds of foods it goes with. Gets your taste buds used to the "herbs and spices" flavors. You can figure out your own combos later.

Garlic powder, multi-pepper (fresh ground), oregano, cayenne (in very small quantities, it isn't hot), onion powder (for when you run out of onions)... onions, leeks, garlic cloves, chives... there's no end of herbs and spices.

For example: "fried" eggs... use a non-stick pan, and you hardly need butter/oil, then use: black pepper and garlic powder, for some zip on the top.

Lunches - plan for it as part of what you're cooking, or make soup/chili/light stew/chowder. Its possible to get unsalted PB - and PB isn't unhealthy otherwise (not saturated fat, for example). Or switch to wraps - chopped meat and fresh chopped/grated veggies and a wee scrape of cheese, in a flour tortilla. (husband will take wraps "8 days out of 7").

Or don't do lunch at all! Instead, have a (healthy) snack at 11 and another at 2.

Marguerite

Sea salt is pretty much the same, you would end up using the same amount. You could try celery salt - you end up using about half what you would otherwise use. Wonderful on tomatoes.

A recipe I cooked yesterday - it's supposed to be a lamb casserole but I substitute gravy beef, cut into chunks. It's the cheapest cut and the way I treat it, it's the best for this.
First cop up and fry onions (1 large or 2 small) in a little oil. If you want, chop up carrot and/or celery too. Fry them too until soft and beginning to colour. Add in some chopped fresh ginger and chopped fresh garlic. I tend to add it a little later so it doesn't overcook. Next toss in the spices - 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I'd cut that back to about 1 heaped tsp); 2 teaspoons ground coriander; 2 teaspoons ground cumin. Always when you can, fry the ground spices in at this stage, don't just throw them in the liquid. It gives a much richer flavour to toast the spices.
Next throw in the meat - for this amount I'd cook 2-3 pounds of 2" cubed gravy beef. Stir to coat the meet and brown it a little. Add in maybe some tomato paste or a tin of tomatoes. A spoonful of honey or brown sugar. I put in a quarter of a Moroccan lemon (optional), then added any extra salt to taste. No other liquid needed if you then slow cook it. Any liquid comes out of the meal and if you slow simmer this (with the liquid barely moving) for about 4 hours until you can cut the meat with a fork, then it's perfect. If you want, throw in some dried apricots and prunes. I also added chunks of potato and chunks of kumara (orange sweet potato). Half an hour before serving I threw in half a bag of frozen peas. It's the sort of meal you can throw stuff in as you think of it, but let it simmer as long as possible for the most tender meat with maximum flavour.

Moroccan lemons - get a clean jar with a non-metal lid. I use old coffee jars. Get lemons, preferably from someone's tree. I actually left mine to sit for a week or more so they were a little soft. Make up a spicy salt mix - bruise/lightly crush peppercorns, allspice berries, cardamom pods (if you want) and anything else. I have fresh bay leaves handy to slide into the jar at various stages and also sometimes I break up a cinnamon stick and toss it in. Mix all this with half cup of salt or more. Now cut the lemons in four pieces but not all the way through - you want the lemon to open up a bit like a four-petalled flower. Open it up a bit, pack salt into the cuts then close the lemon back up (it won't close all the way. Cram the lemons into the jar, squishing then in as firmly as you can. Let the juice squeeze out into the jar. Pour more salt over the lemons then pack in more salted lemons. A lot of juice should come out but you might need to squeeze a couple of lemons and top up the jar until they're all covered. The really vast amount of salt preserves the lemons and should stop them going "off". The lemon juice also helps pickle the lemons and all the flavours seep into the lemons. You leave the jar in a dark cupboard and don't use them for at least six weeks. To use them - remove a piece of lemon from the jar then put the jar back in the cupboard. When they're ready, the skin looks a bit translucent and feels a bit rubbery. Now slice the flesh out of the lemon and throw it away. chop the rind finely and use that. It tastes awful if you lick your fingers, but the effect in the casserole is sheer magic. For the quantities I cooked, I used two pieces (about half a lemon) but it was a bit stronger than I needed. You should begin with a quarter of a lemon and do make sure you cook it in at the simmer stage for a few hours. Those flavours will not cook out, they are marvellous.

Moroccan preserved lemons cost a fortune in the shops (gourmet shops, generally) but as you can see, they're really cheap to make. I use them in a number of different recipes. I haven't tried it, but I suspect a piece of Moroccan lemon rind inside a chicken before roasting, would be fabulous.

Curry - similar to the casserole, again you fry the spices after the onion. It's all in your choice of spices. Try the following:
tablespoon ground coriander
half tablespoon ground cumin
quarter teaspoon each of ground fennel, cinnamon, cardamom.
Add any chilli as you choose. I don't add any.

To make the curry - I brown onion, fresh ginger, fresh garlic. Toss in the spices and toast them too. Toss in a teaspoonful of whole mustard seeds (yellow are milder). Dry fry until it looks black and tarry and you can hear the mustard seeds start to pop like popcorn. Then toss in a little salt and a big splash of malt vinegar. Throw in the meat (again, about 2-3 pounds of gravy beef is good) and brown it a little as you coat it with the mix. Toss in a tin of tomatoes then leave it to simmer very low for a few hours. Thicken any liquid (I use cornstarch and water paste and make sure the stew simmers long enough to cook the cornstarch).
The flavour of this one is just glorious. I serve it with brown rice (I cook the rice in te microwave, it's really easy) and I also microwave poppadoms (no oil).

He can't complain about those!

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa - skip the sea salt. Expensive, and rarely worth it in my opinion.

I've found - I use a LOT of garlic and onion powder. Both kids and husband used to pour on the salt - now? If I tell them I cooked it with salt, they don't even try. (Pepper's another thing, but it's not quite as bad for you).

The Nu-Salt - potassium chloride - has a funny bitter aftertaste. Yech.

Peanut butter can be had with reduced sodium/fat at the same price, at Kroger. However - peanut butter is a LOT better for him than fried eggs!

I have not bought Crisco in ages, and use vegetable oil sparingly. I do use olive oil. It's a bit more expensive, but since I don't use a LOT, one of those gallon cans will last me 2 years. The olive oil margarine, to me, tastes better than regular oleo - and there are TONS of coupons for it.

My husband has high cholesterol and a family history of high blood pressure, so I watch that stuff.

FWIW? Turkey bacon is horrid in my opinion. Get the normal stuff, cook, drain well, pull off fat, and then give him half of what's left... Or you can use a little bit as flavoring. Turkey pepperoni is actually not bad. Not nearly as greasy, either.

I make homemade pizza every so often, and everyone loves it. I calculated out the calories, and it's less than half of delivery/frozen...

P

PatriotsGirl

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I had NO idea!!!! I have been so busy with work I have not had any time to really spend any time over on the board, much less this section. I am SOOO sorry!!!! :(

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Those sound good Marg. And I'm glad you explained it well as I'm not sophisticated in my cooking. I do american country cooking, poor american country cooking at that. I've just modified it for my renal diet. lol So I need it spelled out more than most people. One of the issues I have with the cookbooks is they assume you know things, drives me crazy. I was hunting for shallots for months before a nice lady at the store explained to me that all they are is spring onions. lol

I knew I should've picked up that gallon jug of Olive oil at Sams. darn it. I'll switch him without him realizing it.......a lot with him is a don't tell and he doesn't always notice. I stopped using it due to expense and my cholesterol went way down and it just wasn't necessary for me to use it. I'll have to look for the olive oil margarine and the cpns for it........I don't recall seeing it. hmm

I'll be baking my own bread soon. husband loathes wheat bread unless it's toast. So.....I figure I'll get some whole wheat flour and do a sort of half and half thing with the bread. Not quite as good as completely whole wheat but better than plain white bread. Actually though, I think whole wheat home baked bread is wonderful.....and better than store bought.

He threw a major hissy fit this morning it seems. I happened to sleep in due to the cool weather.........and had 7 missed calls on the cell phone. He's the only one who calls that phone. So I called him and he's in a tizzy. Cardiologist told him there is no way he's coming home today and he doesn't know when he'll be ready. Well, husband has been working hard to come home and well, he didn't take that news well. doctor didn't tell him why, just mumbled a few things such as their changing up medications and mumbled something about an arrhythmia they're watching......and walked out. Well, husband is 63 yrs old and he's pretty much fed up with being treated like a child. Any information he gets is spotty at best and often contradicts. The docs tend to ignore him and they're in and out within just a few mins. At first I thought he might be exaggerating because he was on some heavy duty pain medications and well, they can mess with your perception of things and your memory. But after going to see him.....and being there when one of his docs came in.....well, yeah, I believe him. I don't blame him for getting mad.

So he refused his breathing treatment this morning until the doctor came and actually talked to him. Ok, not so bright, I admit. But I can't say much as I've fired docs for less. lol I don't put up with crud from docs I don't care how "excellent" they're supposed to be. I'm paying them to treat me, and by darn that includes talking to me and keeping me informed. So.......the real *ss doctor came in and talked with him, this is the one with the bedside manner of a shoe. He's not going home before tomorrow at the earliest. No way no how. They're adjusting medications. Ok. And I just realized (not sure if husband just left it out or if he doesn't realize the guy still didn't tell him squat) that the guy didn't really tell him anything. You know, like why are they adjusting medications? And he was getting another echocardiogram and had to get off the phone. doctor failed to mention he ordered another one of those. And he's still getting the daily chest xrays. doctor didn't explain why he's getting those either. Nor would the doctor say whether or not husband has an arrhythmia.....or whether they're just watching to see if he develops one. ugh!

Yeah. been there done that myself and I don't blame husband at all. Docs wouldn't even tell him his dxes or the condition the heart attack left his heart in. And they wonder why he's less than cooperative. Really? He's not been on pain medications for more than a day, he's perfectly lucid and they can explain things to him. It's just not that difficult, nor does it take that much time. Wouldn't it make sense to keep your patient informed so that they understand what you're doing and not doing instead of having them in a state of constant agitation? geez!

easy child says this is "normal" that all the docs do it. I told her bullsh*t. If that is the case then the nurses shouldn't put up with having to be the heavy and put it back on the docs. Like I said, I've fired docs who won't keep me informed and take the time to listen and talk to me when I have questions. This isn't a freaking broken leg, this is life or death.

So...........now I'm wondering if while watching him they've seen new things they don't like, such as that arrhythmia. I don't know what his triponin levels are today, I dont' know what they were yesterday. And Nichole asked if maybe they weren't letting him leave because those levels are creeping back up.

I hate being this far away. Nichole was going to try to go visit him today, she's not sure if she can due to the babies.......and going alone is a bit intimidating as the hospital is enormous and the parking confusing as heck.....but her husband would have to watch the kids. easy child is not wanting to visit again, just wanting to go pick him up when he's discharged. She can't take the 2 babies along......and Darrin is in school which limits us time wise. And I'm sitting on empty in the gas tank......and while I could get myself to MVH with no problem (if I had the gas) that trying to park thing......well, I'd get lost.

easy child is not close to her dad in any sense of the word. She tolerates him. This is husband's doing, of course. Autism or not, if you don't make an effort at relationships there isn't going to be relationships. I don't blame easy child for how she feels. 90 percent of the time her dad is a grouch (especially off the trazadone) and another 5 percent sort of off in his own world. But this is also my husband, and me she does care about, and I'd like to know what the heck is going on........and that is next to impossible when you're more than an hour away and trying to do it via phone. I know money is tight for her too, but yeah. I mean relationship or not, this IS her Dad, you'd think she'd show a tad more concern. I understand, I'm just frustrated.:sigh:

The only thing I know for certain is that I'll be giving him heparin shots when he comes home. Doesn't worry me, I've done it tons of times. Does worry me that he'll be on heparin though. And worries me because we still don't know if he's been accepted by medicaid or not and it's not wise to just stop the heparin because you can't buy it.

So it seems husband's hissy fit didn't get him very far information wise.

InsaneCdn

Seems like Docs only like to tell you how it really is, when the news is good...
Doesn't mean the news now is bad... just that there's probably more that the don't know, and so they don't want to really say anything until they "know".

Doesn't make it any less frustrating, either!

Lisa, Can't you call there and tell the nurse that you want the dr to call you directly because you're so far away? Also have the nurses write down the questions you want to ask the dr. This way he'll be prepared, and know that you aren't one of those people that he has to take an hour to explain things to. He may be more apt to call you if he knows the conversation will be brief.

Here is a good and easy thing he may like to eat. Spray Pam and saute a couple garlic cloves, chop up a green pepper, yellow pepper, red pepper, orange pepper, a green squash, loads of broccoli, half an onion- cook 4 minutes until crisp tender add (if you want) some seasonings- YUM! Put a grilled chicken breast on top, brown rice...I just eat those veggies plain with hot sauce. Healthy, filling and so easy.

DammitJanet

I love sea salt and it isnt but about 20 cents more a carton than regular salt here. I wont even eat regular salt anymore but then I didnt like salt much. I have no problems with blood pressure though. Is he gonna come home on cholesterol medications? Im on lipitor and it has worked major wonders for me. The seroquel sent mine through the roof - and of course all the greasy foods Tony loves to cook and eat dont help - but mine were up around 375 at the highest and just the other day the doctor called to tell me that my levels had dropped to around 200. Im tickled pink. Im staying on the medication of course. Tony isnt changing his cooking habits...lol.

Will husband eat avocado? yummy. maybe dont tell him what he is eating. It is good for him. I love the stuff. I can mush the stuff up and not use mayo on a chicken or turkey sandwich. Even my kids love it...including Keyana but I have no idea about Hailie and Mikey. Probably they would if I had them for long.

I also know how to make a delish honey mustard from scratch if you want it. And if you can get sister in law to go deer hunting, that is the leanest meat you can eat. That and fish. Tilapia fish is really cheap in the freezer section. You can even oven fry it to make fish sticks for him. I know you know how to make salmon patties. Salmon is good.

There are things you can give him that will make him think he is getting a treat that arent actually bad for him. Freeze banana's on Popsicle sticks and if you want to give him a real treat, I think they have a sugar free chocolate sauce. Coat them in that. Tastes just like ice cream. I dont like sugar free ice cream but he may.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Well, I guess its good that he can throw a hissy fit, huh? he must be feeling better, at least.

Your "wake up" is my concern with my husband. What am I missing because I am so danged frustrated with him right now? I really feel like if he left today, I would make no attempt to stop him, but am I missing something? Would I regret that down the road?

Still praying. Glad things are looking up.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It took me about 20 or so mins, but I finally got his nurse. Not that it was much help. She had a patient that was highly agitated yet didn't think it might be a good idea to be there while the doctor talked to him? Oh, brother. I do try to be understanding, she has other patients that need her too......but yeah. She should've been in that room with the doctor to explain in depth so husband could understand. husband is deaf and without his hearing aides. (he didn't want them due to background noise) He's autistic and doesn't do social well at all.

So about all I got was he does have an arrhythmia, which is the current concern. They want to make sure it's safe for him to come home. He wasn't getting an echo when he needed to get off the phone, it was an ECG (EKG) the echo will be in the morning with the chest xray. He's on some b/p medication I don't recognize.....but she might be using either a brand name or generic name I'm not familiar with. The heparin won't be continued at home, he'll switch to aspirin. Which is fine by me.

So I explained it to him about the arrhythmia and docs don't want to release him until they think it's safe and that he won't be right back with another heart attack. I explained that the chest xrays, while annoying at 5am, are to keep checking on the whited out lower lobes of his lungs to see if the breathing treatments are helping to break it up. The echo is, this time around, to check for valve defects ect.

He's having major anxiety issues which are understandable. Cardiologist refuse to script anything for anxiety. He doesn't have a family doctor who could do it. They won't call in a hospitalist (basically a fam doctor that works for the hospital instead of family practice) who can script him something for the anxiety because in their opinion that is not a priority. Hmm.......not sure I like that. I mean having a heart patient with high anxiety to the point where it's keeping him in an agitated state doesn't seem very wise to me. ugh I'm sure not having insurance has a bit to do with that as well.

I did tell husband to ask for a pen and paper and to write down questions as he thinks of them. Then when one of the docs come in, pin them down for answers, if he doesn't feel like he understands, don't let them leave until he does. Will he do it? Eh, who knows. If he wants his questions answered and things explained to him he better do it.

My Mom is trying to come over. Her heart is in the right place and she's being sweet. But she's the LAST thing I need right now, good intentions or not. I don't need "company" while dealing with this. Know what I mean?? And while she's my mom, she's still company, still will want to visit while she's here.....she still has not seen Connor or Oliver......and well that alone is stressful trying to organize for one of her visits I don't need it on top of this with husband. So I told her that I'm fine and she doesn't need to come over, that we can find a way to get her here later. Will she listen and not come? Who knows. She is a difficult child afterall. :sigh:

I'll call husband's nurse again tonight and early in the morning. By then they ought to know something more solid. If not, I may be having a discussion with the head nurse or the director of nursing. Or find a way to talk to this doctor myself, which would probably be difficult at best.

I did inform the nurse that husband is deaf. I'm not sure anyone bothered to tell them. I know I didn't think of it, and I don't know if husband thought to tell them. He never wears his hearing aides. I also informed his nurse that he is autistic and has some issues socially and interacting with people. And I confirmed that his anxiety is through the roof, especially when trying to go to sleep. Will it make a difference? Dunno. But it might, I hope.

I'm going to grab my recipe cards and start jotting these recipes / ideas down before I forget to.

InsaneCdn

Lisa -
Way to go! You're almost sounding like a Warrior Mom, but dealing with/for/on-behalf-of husband.

Yes, in the immediate crisis, little things don't get said. The RARE nurse will pick up on stuff (my husband was one of those... ). So, you're filling in gaps now. Should help make things go better.

When Mom had her stroke, they wouldn't even give us a timeframe for her coming home - they would give us 48 hrs notice, but until they felt she was stable, she was going nowhere. 1 week. 2 weeks.... ended up being almost 4 weeks. And she's mostly deaf and (legally) blind and uses a walker (BEFORE the stroke), and of course, it took us a week to notice that she hadn't said anything either... mostly because Dad wouldn't let us up to see her for that long. First trip up... husband had all three things solved or worked on... !

Steely

Lisa - wow this sounds grueling!!!!
You know when my dad was in ICU after being first diagnosis with a glioma blastoma about 4 years ago - my mom decided to just stay with him. They brought her a cot, and she slept there. The upside of this was that she befriended the ICU nurse Rosie. Well, Rosie was amazing. Funny as funny gets, and she became the liason, confident, and translator for all medical issues. Not only were the doctors pretty useless, but my Dad didn't understand what they were saying anyway (and he WAS a Dr - but he WAS very sick - like your husband).

Although I hate to suggest that you sacrifice so much - perhaps an overnight with him so that you can be there bugging them with a thousand questions might be in order? It truly is a trick to get the medical system to REALLY work for you.

So sorry - again - I am praying for you and husband.

DammitJanet

Yeah maybe you should go and camp out. Someone was pretty much with me most of the time in the beginning and then towards the end I wanted Tony there even more. It was the middle of the time when I didnt need everyone with me constantly because I didnt understand anything.

H

HaoZi

Dang it Lisa, take Step up on the offer to stay closer. You'll not only be closer, you'll have a good reason to tell Mom to stay put!

Kiddo loves bacon and corndogs, but she can't have them anymore. Switched her to the Morningstar veggie version. It's not exactly the same, but it doesn't take long to get used to it, either. The sausage is rather ehhhhh though.

DammitJanet

Oh....and I do like the turkey bacon, turkey smoked sausage and turkey hotdogs. Especially if you do the turkey bacon in the microwave oven, I doubt he will even notice. I do it that way and Tony doesnt even notice. They have some really good hot dogs out by Butterball now. They also have some absolutely yummy chicken sausages that have these apples and something else in them but dont have the spicy taste of a sausage. I am not a fan of spicy sausage so these chicken sausages are really good. They arent already smoked so you actually have to cook them. I think there are only 4 or 5 in the package though so it is just a meal for the two of you. I have also found those steamed veggies you can microwave pretty good. You can catch them on sale for a buck a piece sometimes and there is enough for two portions.