I actually like ISS but wonder if repeat offenses will be a problem?

TerryJ2

difficult child got ISS last wk for tussling with-another kid. I typed this somewhere--I think on the WC smooshed into a long rant of mine--but the kids are still friends. Boys, hmpf. Anyway, he also stuck a easy child of gum in his mouth just after the teacher said NO GUM because some kid put a chewed easy child on the chair the teacher wrecked his new Dockers. So difficult child is walking out the door to another class and thinks it's okay to stick a easy child in his mouth. He doesn't get that walking out the door still gives the teacher the impression that the kid is ignoring him. difficult child said he was in the doorway. Always splitting hairs!

But he got all his homework done!!! I love it. He complained that he had to work all day and had to eat at the desk and only got bathroom breaks. I was so tempted to say, "Hey, welcome to the world of grownups!" but held my tongue.

So, if difficult child gets ISS, say, every month, does that add up to some kind of out of school suspension? If it doesn't, I say go for it!

He also stays after on Tue and Thur to do homework with-teacher supervision.

I like it!!!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
ISS is, in my opinion, better that out of school. Out of school is a reward!

(And, yes, welcome to the real world... Onyxx was complaining about having to spend SIX hours a day in school... I gently pointed out that she's in a hurry to grow up where she can spend NINE hours at work!)

P

PatriotsGirl

My son enjoys having what they call "silent lunch". He likes the quiet and he says it is much easier to concentrate on his work and get it done. It's supposed to be a punishment but he doesn't see it that way. This should be a HUGE flag to the teachers. We have his IEP meeting coming up and I am going to bring this up...

TerryJ2

Yes, a huge flag. But if it works, point out that you'd like it to continue but not as a punishment.
Trial and error, this is ...

P

PatriotsGirl

Well, the thing is he excels in smaller groups. Once they integrated him into the regular classes he started going downhill. He is just too easily distracted.

KTMom91

Miss KT spent quite a bit of time in the "Responsibility Room," which is our district's version of ISS. She was always bored to death, because she would finish her work early, and then the teacher would tell her to read. She hates reading. One day she deliberately didn't bring anything to work on, and the teacher handed her a volume of Tolstoy, or something like that, and told her to get started, and they would discuss the book later.

She learned...:bravo:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:rofl:

I love it!

Of course, I have been known to choose books by size, rather than author or subject matter... (5,500 pages? WHEE!!!!!)

DammitJanet

Ohhh...the memories of ISS! I remember my few days in there...lol. Very very boring. I actually think it is the preferred punishment over out of school suspension. Why send a kid home to cable tv when you can make them do homework or read Tolstoy!

P

PatriotsGirl

Janet - I have always shared the same opinion. ISS was FAR worse than out of school suspension!!!

trinityroyal

My difficult child used to love ISS. He had one-on-one attention from the supervisor, and sometimes he would wander out of the office and chat with the Guidance counsellor and school admin staff. Eventually the school caught on that difficult child was misbehaving deliberately so that he could get taken out of class and sent to ISS. Terry, given how similar your son and mine are, you might want to keep an eye out for this. That said, if your difficult child is finding it easier to get his work done in ISS and it won't tarnish his school record overall, then whatever works...

TerryJ2

Tolstoy--LOL!

No, difficult child isn't deliberately getting ISS at this point, but he's been bucking the rules and it will eventually catch up with him. They have cut him so much slack!

JJJ

Our school uses ISS for Tigger. It is actually called CIBS (crisis intervention behavioral support) and it is presented to the kids as a day to calm yourself down and remember to be safe. They push extra social work into the room depending on what the kids did to get sent there. Once Tigger got sent for pushing another kid out of his chair. The social worker spoke with Tigger about why he did it, what could he have done differently, how he could make it better. Then the brought the other boy in and did conflict resolution which resulted in Tigger apologizing and the two boys agreeing that the green chair at the table would be Tigger's and the blue chair would be the other boys. Tigger asked the teacher if he could choose to go to CIBS if he got mad. The teacher has a 'chill zone' in her room but came up with a plan that if Tigger can't calm down using the chill zone that he can ask for 10 minutes in the CIBS room if no one else is in there. That worked and we haven't had any intentional tries for CIBS but several times after an outburst, he's looked at the teacher and said "I know -- back to CIBS."

DDD

I think the policy varies depending on where you live. You'll have to check out the rules for your area. Like others I firmly think ISS is much preferred to OSS. Locally, sigh, the SB seems to prefer OSS.

Back in the day, lol, we had Detention after school. That really got your attention when you couldn't leave with the other kids. Some SB's have Saturay detention which I imagine is a huge wakeup call. We got Detention for things like chewing gum. DDD

trinityroyal

Back in the day, lol, we had Detention after school. That really got your attention when you couldn't leave with the other kids. Some SB's have Saturay detention which I imagine is a huge wakeup call. We got Detention for things like chewing gum. DDD

We used to have Detention, and Saturday detention as well. We got after-school detention for things such as non-standard school uniform, chewing gum, being late for morning assembly, etc. Saturday detentions were reserved for "really bad" infractions (letting someone copy your homework, insubordination...). A whole different world.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Detention now? Is like a social gathering. Onyxx has detention just about every Tuesday and Thursday. She thinks it's funny.

I only had Saturday School once - it was my freshman year, we had a "lock-out" and I didn't make it to class on time. First, last and only time. But... It ended up being the Saturday I was scheduled to have my tonsils out. Vice Principal laughed and decided that was enough punishment.

Detention? I don't remember ever getting detention. I remember waiting on friends that were IN detention, but only rarely.

Wow... I am starting to feel like I have no idea!