Wiped Out

Staff member
took difficult child's medications by mistake this morning!!!! I had just finished getting both our medications ready and got myself a bottle of water. Had his medications in my hands and then in my mouth when I happened to look down to see my medications in a container right next to them-yikes!!

Thankfully I hadn't swallowed and was able to get rid of them! Would have been a very interesting day!

buddy

Many years ago I DID that! We both had medications, and somehow after putting them in my hand it was like a reflex and I just popped them in my mouth and swallowed. Thank God it was when he was little so I didn't get the huge dose he is on now! Nothing happened, and it was short acting Ritalin so after 4-5 hours it was gone, but I felt so dumb. Two of my friends/fellow teachers said they had done things like that too. It happened so fast.

Chaosuncontained

I have caught myself doing this several times, but I have never actually swallowed them or put them in my mouth. It kinda scared me every time.

I actually moved taking my medications to the evening (he gets his in the AM) to try to keep it from happening. But I guess holding a few pills in my hand, it's almost a reflex to try to take them.

InsaneCdn

Had to move to separate, different-colored pill sorter boxes... to avoid THREE of us with mixups.
Two advantages...
1) all the counting and sorting happens once per week - so, pills are never "in hand" at pill-taking time
2) really easy to tell if taken or not taken (assuming compliance, of course - which we have)

These cases are REALLY cheap - I think I paid a couple bucks each.

DammitJanet

I use those weekly pill boxes too. In fact I just bought a new one after I retired the one I had for the last ten years...lol. I bought my old one back when I actually took my medications morning, noon and night so it was this large rectangular box. Over the years I stopped taking medications in the morning unless it was an antibiotic or something so I just used the bedtime row. Box got really old....lol.

Now I do take 2 medications in the morning but I keep those on my bedside table and its not problem for me to just take them. Habit now.

donna723

I know a lady who accidentally took her dogs' heartworm/flea/tick preventative pill instead of her own vitamin! She had them both sitting on her kitchen counter and she was late for work and in a hurry. She swallowed what she thought was her vitamin, then noticed it still sitting there on the counter! It didn't hurt her but for a long time they called her"Flea-free Jennifer"!

shellyd67

I took difficult child's Strattera once. I made myself throw it up !! Oh geeze, I was so out of it with stress at the time ...

Steely

Haha - I have done the same thing. Thank god I didn't swallow because they were Matt's night medications at the time. 2 mood stabs and an AP - I would have been out cold for a week. I had my medication and vitamins in one hand, and his medications in another, and I just didn't think.....I walked down the hall to Matts bedroom with a glass of water, spacing, and oops.

H

HaoZi

I've come close to oopsing and taking hers instead of mine. So far I haven't totally spaced and done it, though she now takes the same vitamins I do.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Nice to know I'm not alone. I have no idea how difficult child's medications would have affected me. The clozapine is some heavy duty stuff! Guess I need to look into the medication boxes.