I am going to be rich! The BOA says so!

DammitJanet

àéFROM MR.FROM MR. OMAR HASSAN
BILL AND EXCHANGE MANAGER
BANK OF AFRICA (B.O.A)
OUAGADOUGOU BURKINA FASO

Dear Friend,
I AM THE BILL AND EXCHANGE MANAGER OF BOA BANK OF AFRICA
I Hoped that you will not expose or betray this trust. I need your urgent assistance in transfering the sum of ($18.4 million) immediately to your account.I will send you full details on how the business will be executed and i want you to flourish me with this datas:

(1)NAME..............
(2)AGE:................
(3)SEX:....................
(4)PHONE NUMBER:.................
(5)OCCUPATION :....................
(6)YOUR COUNTRY:....................

BEST REGARD MR. OMAR HASSAN

DDD

Congrats! Personally I'm always afraid to open emails like that...what a woose I am, lol. Maybe I could retire if I were more trusting. ;) DDD

mstang67chic

Going Green
If he sent you the email, shouldn't he already know your name and country??? LOL

Congrats Janet! You'll be buying us that tropical villa, right?

DammitJanet

LOL...I know...I figure that my name being at least partially being in my email and it sounding at least somewhat female would give a clue to the name and sex...and I would think that since he was wanting to do me this huge favor, he would certainly know where I was located...right? LOL

donna723

Well, gee! If you can't trust Mr. Omar Hassan from the Bank of Africa, who can you trust! Sounds good to me!

:D I just hope that when your millions come rolling in that you will still remember all of us 'little people'!

Trouble is, they probably send out thousands of these and if even one or two people respond, they've still come out way ahead.

DammitJanet

Sadly, last week on Intervention, there was this middle aged man who had become extremely addicted to pain pills. He also became addicted to internet scams like these as his mental status became more and more confused. Over a year or two he lost over $600,000 and bankrupted his family. He was convinced these people were his friends and if he just sent them his disability check each month he was going to get these lotteries they promised.

It was really sad.

Eventually after they got him into rehab it turned out that not only was he on the painkillers but he was also abusing meth and cocaine plus he was bipolar. He ended up staying in rehab for almost a year because he needed help for both the mental health portion plus because of his real pain needs they had to find a way to help him deal with those without abusing pain medications. Last updates he was doing well.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
A bank I worked at in the 80's was one of the first in the country to be victimized by the Nigerian network of bank thieves. The Internet wasn't around then- now they come into our homes and some people still fall for it. Scary.

Suz

jal

Wow...Can you believe the odds of 2 of us getting this great, life changing news in the same week?
I got the same notification from Mr. Hassan a few days ago.

I immediatley furnished him with my full legal name, address, DOB, SS# and Checking & Savings account numbers. I also gave him my CC number, license number and my balance in my 401K. As a back up I also provided him with the same information for husband and difficult child. That way he assured me the transaction would be smooth.

It's been a few days and the money has yet to arrive into our accounts. I noticed a couple of withdrawls that were not made by me. I e-mailed Mr. Hassan and he assured me that this was only for administrative fees and the money would be forth coming. He seemed like such a considerate and honest man (from what I could tell from his e-mails) he even apologized for the fake check his brother in law sent to me when I tried to sell my memory foam twin bed on craigslist a few years ago. At least that one didn't get by me!

I can't wait for this to go through. I've already purchased a new car for husband and myself and I am ordering our boat today. I've got the vacation booked and I'm shopping like crazy on the internet. Soon, I'll give my notice and spend my time traveling without a care in the world. Oh...did I mention the HUGE diamond I bought...Life IS good.

DammitJanet

Oh Jal...you would know how honest he was if you had given him your PHONE number! He would have called you, collect of course!

klmno

Oh I got one of those too!! Maybe we'll bump into each other traveling around the world or something!

I like that, WMM!!

busywend

Just in case there is a lurker that does not get the humor in this post - DO NOT reply or even open these emails - they are a total scam.

There, now I can rest easy. Phew/whew!

DammitJanet

True BW. Didnt think about that. I cannot believe how many folks I see on the judge shows every day who fall for these things.

Do people really believe someone is going to just mail them a check for something they never did? HUH? And my great, great, great Uncle Alfred is the King of Panicinstan and he just left me $5,000,000 in rubles but only if I send them $5,000 and my first born child. LOL.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
These things have been around since before the internet. I can remember getting them by snail mail or on office fax machines.

The problem is that they are sent out by 'bots which are computers taken over by spyware of a specific type.

There are thousands and thousands of 'bot herds' out there and the owners of the hijacked computers aren't even aware they are being used for this.

Another warning, do NOT click on ads for antivirus software, "cleanup software" or anti-spyware software. This is a great way to pick up various unwanted malware on your computer.

Go with a reputable company like AVG. That will help prevent your computer from being taken over.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Well, *I* won the Australian Lottery. All I have to do is contact their Nigerian agent to collect my money. But, it was only $500,000, so it's totally not worth the hassle.