I am just on edge for some reason

StressedM0mma

I just can't put my finger on it. Just that feeling you get when you think something bad might happen. I am not sure what is from though. I am getting concerned about difficult child again. She doesn't mention many friends anymore. I am getting worried that she has really alienated herself. And, she just seems to be off. I just do not know the right word for it. She was talking about getting her horse, and she seemed happy and interested, but other than that, she seems to shut me out. I am running out of things to talk to her about. She doesn't go to the movies, or to school activities, or hang with friends. What else can we talk about besides horses? Seriously I think I need some topics of conversation that will not spark arguments.

B

Bunny

I have had that feeling many times. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.

Does she like to do anything that you like to do? For example, my difficult child likes to cook. So, I try to get him involved with me in the kitchen while I'm making dinner or if I'm baking something (we have plans this coming weekend to try a new brownie recipe!). You would be amazed at the things that come out of him while his defenses are down and he's happily helping me. difficult child always tells the therapist that he feels like no one loves him, but when I take the time to spend time with him doing something that he likes, he feels loved and is more willing to open up about things.

StressedM0mma

I try to find things that we like to do together. Right now, with IOP there is little free time. We do like to bake together. She has a cupcake book that makes cute themed cupcakes. We have made the penguin ones. Maybe we can make a different one this weekend. I have been "bribing" her each day that she gets to school on time, and stays all day. Today was a steak and shake strawberry shake. (happy hour only $1.50). I know she really wants to go to the tack shop to look for more horse stuff. I figured I would use that for Friday after school if she goes all week. She also LOVES makeup. So, I have been letting her do my makeup, and I come up and talk to her while she is doing hers. I thought if she gets some work caught up this week, and goes everyday, I would take her to this makeup outlet that is near the tack shop. It is just hard. I am just not really into make up, and there is only so much I can talk about horses.
She WILL NOT talk to me about boys or friends really. That is why I am starting to wonder if she has lost most of her school friends. I know she is not the easiest person to deal with, but she seems to get a friend, and then push them away. It is almost like she does not want anyone to get too close.
husband is on his way to pick difficult child up from IOP. I asked him to try to talk to her. So, we will see.