I am now the owner of two teenage rear ends until the end of this year.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I get out, what, one, maybe two nights a month to visit with friends. And tonight was the annual Xmas party/gift exchange with my dinner group but easy child had her orchestra concert performance and since it was also husband's company holiday party and he wouldn't be home until later, I would be taking her and video taping the event, then going to my party later.

Well it seems that shortly after I dropped her off at home around 9pm and headed back out to see my friends, difficult child 1 and difficult child 2 got into a big fight -- I still don't know what it was about because they were both in bed when I got home.

But the kicker -- and I mean this literally -- is the foot-long HOLE IN MY HALLWAY WALL from difficult child 2's FOOT when he got really mad at difficult child 1 and kicked the wall!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

Whew, okay I feel a smidgen better.

There is going to be some SERIOUS amends AND mending to be made around here by those two boys. :devil:

JJJ

Sounds like Santa will be bringing them a wall repair kit.

At least they didn't hurt easy child and they settled down and went to bed.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
They sell wall repair kits???

We made Jett fix it the old-fashioned way... This was a few years ago, and it was a butt-shaped imprint in the wall from playing on something he shouldn've have been and falling. Wall spanked him, then he had to fix it...

I think someone needs to, after he fixes the wall, come up with 25 constructive things to do instead of kicking the wall. Then he can post them on the fridge...

TerryJ2

Oh, dear.
I am so sorry.
I would plan a luncheon with-your friends to just have some fun. You barely got a slice of Christmas pie last night.
So sorry about the hole in the wall. I agree, Santa is bringing a wall repair kit. Yes, they make them. But they're small, usually under 8".

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 2 feels really bad about it and started texting and calling me immediately after it happened. difficult child 1 I have yet to see or hear from (it's still early-ish here), but he is in as much if not worse trouble because he was tormenting difficult child 2. husband said he'll help them fix it. THAT'S what really scares me! :rofl:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Just spoke with difficult child 1. He had no idea about the hole. His side of the story is that he yelled at difficult child 2 to get his homework done, after which he claims difficult child 2 "attacked" him, which must be when difficult child 2 hit him back... I'm guessing. There won't be time to sort this all out until after school today. And seeing as their winter break starts then, they're gonna have two full weeks to 'splain themselves and try to appease their mom! :devil:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's way too big for any of them to attempt repairing it. None of them knows a lick about drywall. We'll have to hire someone. And I suppose that means it's time to repair some of the cracks and gouges husband's pre-medicated temper caused about 10 years ago just weeks after we'd finished painting. :-/ We've also got some ceiling cracks where we had a roof leak a few years ago, so that can all be fixed, too. May as well do it all at once. Just wasn't planning on spending the money (which we really don't have) now. :2dissapointed:

Mom2oddson

Only one hole? You got off easy. I have 3 walls with holes and two doors with holes. Ahhh....the lovely memories around my house.

InsaneCdn

For what it costs do get repairs done (*), you send the boys to the nearest tech school for evening DIY classes on drywall. Probably won't cost you any more, and at least they can continue to do fixes.

(*) that is, IF you can even get repairs done... around here, they MUCH prefer to just "board over" and re-tape... but it shrinks the room, affects flooring, etc..... So, ya, we do it ourselves.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
M2O -- it's just another rude reminder of the reality of my life. Things had been going too well for too long, apparently. I actually was starting to feel like things could be normal around here! HA! :rofl:

At any rate, it certainly blends in with the duct tape husband recently used to "fix" our decaying kitchen drawers. And if I don't hire a professional to fix all these spots, duct tape will likely be the material of choice for him to deal with this new issue.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...Sweetie...

Onyxx's room? Has holes. We're leaving them till she moves out.

(Then we're ripping out drywall, insulating the $%^&* room, and remodeling it.)

tiredmommy

I think you should be sitting at the dining room table when each boy gets home. Have that "I'm so angry that I'm calm" look on your face. Tell them to go to their room (with a low emotional effect) and not to come out until you say so. When they argue (and they will) tell them you don't give a rat's **** why or what happened anymore because they are too old to be behaving like this anymore. They act like babies? They get sent to there room like babies. They don't like it? Then they need to stop "punishing" you every time you get out of the house by fighting with each other. When the first one asks what's going to happen to the other? Say "Your brother is not your concern, I will deal with him.".

But you have to remain calm and detached... it'll throw them off and maybe even scare them just a little bit.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If this were in either of their rooms, I wouldn't do a thing about fixing it either, Step. But it's in my front entrance hallway.

It's just one more example of how no one around here takes any responsibility for themselves or thinks beyond their nose. Whether it's leaving dirty dishes lying around, or food or wrappers and containers, or laundry, or dirt from their shoes/cleats, or school items, or sports equipment, or towels, or toys/games, or... And it's not just the boys, it's husband to and easy child. I'm tired of being the ONLY one who cares about my home. I LIKE it when things are clean. I LIKE it when things are put away. It makes me feel STRESSED when I'm the only one that picks up stuff or cleans! I did NOT sign on as a maid or a domestic slave. I have lowered my expectations and my standards for over two decades and I just feel like I'm DONE.

The next two weeks, the boys are going to see just how dependent on me they've been and how much work I do for them because they are going to be doing it for themselves. ALL of it. Maybe then they'll show some consideration and think of how what they do affects others.

As for Christmas? I'm hitting my mom up on her offer to host it again this year. I'm feeling pretty bah-humbug right now.

Mom2oddson

TM -- Shut your mouth! May day is going to be AWESOME because it will end with my annual WINE (Women In Need of Entertainment) group's holiday party tonight!

See....This was all YOUR fault! You tempted fate by saying that your day was going to be AWESOME! After all this time on the Board you should know better than to EVER say anything positive like that! Fate has a way of always getting the last laugh on us.

And the reason I still have all the holes in the walls/doors is because I won't let husband fix them (duct tape is his favorite repair tool also)

InsaneCdn

Stressed... your biggest problem is husband. If HE thinks you're a maid? the kids follow husband. If HE decides you're not the maid anymore? THEN, the two of you can have impact on kids.

husband backs me. But he's the tidy one... when he complained about the mess, we decided to find more "visible" ways for him to help - so the kids SEE him pulling his weight... now, the kids are doing more (not enough, just more)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yep, M2O, you're probably right about that!

Oh, I KNOW husband is a big problem in this. But realistically, I can only work on training my kids better.

My consolation prize? I channeled my anger this morning and bit the bullet for scheduling a trip to Mardi Gras that I've been wanting to do for a while. I don't care if it takes me a year to pay off, I'm taking husband and we are GOING. I reserved the rooms last March and the only thing left to bag was airfare, so I did it today. I told husband I am sick of putting my life on hold because of other people's stupidity. I'm feeling very selfish today.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Insulating? as in, maybe turning it into a padded room?

Errr... No.

When she knocked the first hole in the (gasp!) SHEETROCK, and yes, that took some doing, we discovered that the reason the room was always cold when WE were in it was... There's NO INSULATION. We tapped a hole in Jett's, too - NONE. (House built in the 50s... Guess they didn't have cold weather in Ohio then...)

KTMom91

There are still holes in Miss KT's bedroom walls, too. And my kitchen counter has a huge chunk of tile missing.