I am one not happy camper today...derm doctor visit!

DammitJanet

I saw my dermatologist today and I really do love this lady. I am not upset with her in the least, what I am upset about is my lab results! She did a fairly good blood panel on me in June and I got the results today. We had both expected my thyroid to come back low and it didnt so we are going to recheck it in 3 months. We both think there is something odd about it not coming back low because that would be the most logical explanation for dry hair and skin and having hair that is falling out.

But...I had some other somewhat alarming results on this bloodwork. My whole CBC panel was fine, its on the metabolic panel that stuffed cropped up on. My Glucose level was slightly elevated and I hadnt eaten before I got to that appointment. My serum Creatinine was high. My eGFR was low. My serum Chloride is high and my Carbon dioxide is low.

Some of these things, heck most of them, are pointing to I have now developed problems with my kidneys. Probably from all of the medications I am on.

I have a doctor visit with my primary tomorrow. Will see what he says. Sigh. This I so did not need!

Mattsmom277

Janet, this might not be the case but just wanted to share. My grandmother had EVERY symptom of low thyroid, it made her desperatly ill and she sat like that for over a decade. She lost so much weight she was bones and became bedridden (she was in her 70's so doctor chalked it to aging but it was never believed by us and we were to be eventually proven right). FINALLY they realized that her thyroid was not only low, it was basically GONE. In spite of that, her levels on labs were coming back in the safe and acceptable range. It was a weird thing, but turns out not exactly uncommon either.
They finally treated her for low thyroid anyhow, and sure enough, her health improved in leaps and bounds.
Just wanted to mention it in case the doctor hasn't considered it.
Same thing happens to me. My B12 level is always normal but I am very depleted and have to supplement. Also, to test for pregnancy, my HcG levels don't do what most womens do. So even 3 months pregnant both urine and blood samples showed me not pregnant. WRONG said the ultrasounds showing me 3 months along!! Labs are not perfect, and some of us have naturally strange levels which can and do affect lab results.

DammitJanet

I have done nothing but study these test results and all I can come up with is I have some sort of kidney impairment. Someone is gonna give me some answers tomorrow or I am taking my balls and going to another doctor. I refuse to believe this came out of nowhere just in the last few months. I dont drink, I dont do recreational drugs. Someone with a MD behind their name should have been watching my labs because they make the money to do that sort of thing when they agree to take me on as a patient and write out scripts for me. I pay them to take at least a cursory amount of attention to my health. If they have left me in the position to potentially end up on dialysis I am going to sue someone.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Janet. Some forms of meningitis can cause very rapid kidney involvement. It might be possible that IF you do have renal issues, they were caused by the meningitis.

DammitJanet

Well...Im asking to see my lab work from the past year to see what the lab work shows. I have had plenty of blood work done. I may even go request all the lab reports from my stay in the hospital. They certainly should have done a metabolic panel during that time!

N

Nomad

I agree with- what the others have said.

There is much controversy about thryoid test results. And some say that autoimmune type issues can mess the lab results and certain tests need to be run to see if that is the case.

Additionally, many doctors feel people over 50 need to take additional B Vitamins, particulary B12. A lack of B12 can cause all sorts of difficult symptoms. Also, those taking many medications or medications for stomach problems might have great difficulty absorbing Vitamin B (particularly B12).

Thinking positive that this doctor will figure it all out for you. If you are not taking B vitamins, particularly B12, please ask her if this would be okay for you to try in addition to whatever she might prescribe.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have NO idea what you just said - BUT

If you're not feeling well - then I'm sending the LOVE FAIRY to make you smile.....(this is not her ;))

Neither is this---->:laugh:

or this========>:confused:

naught ah...................>:alien: (looks like that bloody Cricuit huh?)

:cupid:yup -------that's her. (say it with me like Barry WHite....Luvvvvvv Fairy) uh huh ......LUVVVVVVV fairy.

hey you want perfection - you call back between 9-9:01 PST on Leapyear....when there is a Blue Moon, over Kentucky...:tongue:

DammitJanet

Well I am completely teed off with my GP. I think I am going to have to look for a new one. I have been with this practice for going on 8 years now but I started there because of one particular doctor who I really liked. He is now there so infrequently and his partner is almost always there and I really dont like him much. The doctor I really like (Dr L.) mostly works at the hospital and a day or two at the office here and there. I think he is about to retire. Odd though that he never saw me at the hospital because no one even told him I was there!

Dr L's daughter, Dr. S, works at another office they have in another town. I have seen her a time or two when she worked in my current office. I think she is going to continue working at this other office...maybe. I may switch to this other office.

This partner who I dont like (Dr C) has continued to just keep me on the medications that I have been on for all these years and has just patted my head and told me basically that nothing else can be done for me. I cant do anything else for my fibro or my arthritis conditions except treat the pain. It doesnt matter that I would rather try to get at the cause of the pain rather than just throw narcotics at it. Gee....in this time of abuse and dependence and addiction, wouldnt you think that having a patient who wanted to talk about not wanting to have more pain medication be something of a novel experience?

I consistently beg for more advice to help me. Can we check for low Vitamin D levels? Nope. OK...how about my testosterone levels...Nope.

The real kicker for me was today. When he looked at the tests I brought in he basically sneered at them and made a smart alecky remark about the Dr who did them and then said that the whole panel really shouldnt have been run together because when you do a whole bunch of tests at once you get a lot of stuff back that can show more information so you see more things then you might get more high's and lows than you really need to see. HUH? So you might actually learn something that could possibly help you diagnose a problem! No Sh!T (sorry censors)

I thought you would want all the information you could get to diagnose something. Not handpick tests to leave out certain ones so you wouldnt get back certain information....that makes no sense.

I have no faith in him anymore.

I have had two tests now in two months that have come back with my glucose levels over 110. I am now showing in the glucose intolerance level. Did he mention metformin? Nope. I tried. Got nowhere. Only script I walked out with was Lorcet. Wont do anything else but give me narcotics. Yeah...a drug dealer!

Mattsmom277

(((hugs))) Sounds like you might be better to politely switch to other office and see if its a better fit for you.

How frustrating for sure!

N

Nomad

I'm so sorry.

Listen, lots of docs are clueless when it comes to vitamins.

The latest out there in the vitamin world is taking Vitamin D3 and extra vitamin B is a gooood thing, especially for those over 40. As long as you don't overdo it, chances are, it will HELP you, not hurt you.

I heard Dr. Oz say that 60% of the population is low in vitamin D. It might be even higher for those living in colder climates.

He said it wouldn't hurt a thing to take 1000 mgs of Vitamin D daily, even if your levels were normal.

And, that it is very bad if they are below normal. He said it was perfectly safe to take one tablet a day...everyone is safe to take this.

You can get these BOGO often at different drugstores. I saw it cheap at Walmart the other day.

Also, you can take a B50 tablet and get all the B's ... perhaps look for a low dose B12 to add to that as well for a little extra insurance. You can not overdose on the B12...however, same thing...if you are not getting enough...it will drag you down.

Listen...if these docs are going to be weird about it...it probably wont hurt you to take moderate/safe amounts of these vitamins on your own. They might help your overall health. Due to your other issues...you should probably monitor your mood states...which you probably can do on your own...just be aware. They are not likely to bother you there anywya.

I say very weird that this guy is quick to give you narcotics and slow to help you when you ask about vitamins and other things.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay NOW I understand a little -

With a glucose level of 110 - you won't get Metformin. They will suggest a sugar reduced/sugar free diet with exercise. I know this for a FACT because DF had the exact same level. I was told levels of 200 or more warrant Metformin. At least with my NP. (Nurse Practitioner) Because that is borderline Diabetes. However had I not shown her in a months time that I would ALSO do the diet and exercise - I doubt she would have written a refill. Maybe so....maybe not. Her opionion for my personal case was there was NO sense in her prescribing medicne to help if I wasn't going to do my part. Since I did try - and my levels did go down and it showed in my blood work? She gave me a refill.

Janet - I think without a doubt you need to find a new GP. Maybe even a new NP. Most everyone I have talked to over 40 tells me the same thing. A female NP is more likely to schedule an appointment for more than 15 minutes, listen more carefully, be less judgemental and actually talk to you not at you. I would sit down and do like I did. I'd write out a list of every health concern I had from the Fibro to the Glucose, fatigue, joint pain - EVERYTHING....and then at the bottom I would type that if they are NOT interested in helping you solve the problems you have listed, and that you ARE committed to a better way of life for yourself....then PLEASE don't waste your time. You're tired of being run through the mill with 10 minute doctor appointments....

ALSO - list the tests YOU want - and WHY - then ask to discuss them.

That's what I did. I talked "shop" with some nurses here - and also with some on line people about "how do I say".....and put in in my condensed notes and went in with FIRE....I'm feeling better. Not perfect but better.

I want that for you. You deserve it.

TerryJ2

Aw, Janet, I'm sorry.

I agree, get a new GP. I understand what he was saying, more or less, that you know just enough to be dangerous, aka, you are going to worry over every little thing, BUT he needed to explain, test by test, what the #s meant. It wouldn't have taken more than 3 min. Bah, humbug.

I agree with-others here, that tests are not always accurate. They are not the end-all and be-all. It may take you months b4 you figure out exaclty what you've got. But in the meantime, you need a dr you can trust and who will inform you and treat you like you've got a brain.

Best of luck!

Keep us posted. Literally.

DammitJanet

I do take two forms of mega vitamins. One is rx which is cerefolinNAC and the other is Biotin Forte. Not sure what is in those but they are supposed to be good for me. I may try the D3. I dont get much sun except in the car.

I am ticked about the tests. He was being a jerk about the tests because he didnt like the other doctor who owns the practice I went to for my dermatologist. Evidently this other doctor turned in some other doctor's to someone because of excessive over performance or something of testing...but I saw a female doctor who works under that doctor. Not the main name doctor. Not my fault or her fault the main doctor did that at some point. She felt these tests were warranted on me because of my symptoms and I agree with her! My symptoms could well be either thyroid, diabetes or kidney related. She ordered a CBC and complete metabolic panel. That was warranted. He felt it wasnt. Lets not look at kidneys until I complain about kidneys. Well..by then I would have been in worse shape!

He swears none of my medications could be making my kidneys worse. Hmmm. Why dont I believe him?

flutterby

Fly away!
Janet, I can't tell you how many times I've had a CBC and complete metabolic panel done. Anytime they draw blood for anything with me, they run those, too.

New GP. Yesterday.

M

ML

I'm sorry to hear this Janet. I understand. I too recently had some bloodwork come back concerning. Also, I have every low thyroid symptom yet it came back fine. We were both surprised. I'm thinking about sending away for a saliva test as I heard they were more accurate. I had the d dimer retaken as well as a chest xray and referral to derm as well because I have a new mole (black) that is concerning. Hopefully we'll get some answers and on the right track back to health. Hugs, ML