I am torn. Input?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have spoken recently of getting involved in mounted shooting the past couple of months. I am truly enjoying it. I had to miss practice last weekend and I HATED missing it; absolutely hated it.
I have only been involved a couple of months, but I've been looking for a "niche" to be involved in with my horse besides trail riding for some time - something that will give me that push to get out there and enjoy the horse besides just the trail; something that's scheduled, so I have reason to plan to go; something that involves other people, so I can take breaks from difficult child and get out in the adult world, around people with common interests (that's not always an easy task...) And I truly think this may be it.
husband, with all his faults, is encouraging me to pursue it. I really want to, and have been.
Getting involved isn't exactly cheap. The guns are real, and the cheapest, least expensive model you can buy is still almost $300. For competition, I will need 2. I can make the rest of what I need (1800's-era clothing, chaps, and holsters). But I have been researching the guns.
I have stumbled into a man near us who is a dealer and can purchase a pair of 2008 model, very nice guns for slightly over factory cost, well below retail. He is legit. I can buy 2 single revolvers for $650 for the pair, or, for $200 more, I can buy a matched set that will be markedly more valuable if I ever chose to sell them. husband is encouraging me to do it. I want to, but I have such a hang-up on "wasting" money on something like this. I cut all these corners so that I CAN attempt to enjoy something, but when it comes down to it, I just keep thinking about all these other "more important" things that money would buy.
For a couple bucks a day for a year, I can have a reason to get out of the house, with my horse, with my friends, almost every weekend of the year, and often thru the week. Part of me says this is a bargain. The "down to earth" part of me says "what a waste - husband wants a truck, you're going to need tires on your truck, heck - for that amount of money, we could upgrade the trailer...."
You guys know what this life is like...Input?

trinityroyal

Do it, do it, DO IT!

You can find the money. husband is encouraging you. You REALLY enjoy it and you're good at it. You're being offered the deal of the century on the equipment you need that you can't make yourself.

Several hints are being thrown in your direction (as listed above)...you just need to reach up your hands and catch them. You deserve to have something that's just for you! I really think you should do it.

Trinity

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's not a waste. It may be unnecessary but it's not a waste.

I think I could die tomorrow. Why have regrets that you didn't do everything in your power to use your abilities and strengths?
Do you really want to contemplate a life with nothing to look forward to but work? That is servitude. You do it because you feel it's important but having pleasure is important too.

If you weren't paying the electric bill or groceries I would say that you may have to postpone until you are in a more stable place financially but if you are responsible then go for it.

PS: I envy your horse riding freedom. I learned too late in life to be any good or a natural but I love trail rides just the same. In my fantasy world, I would be able to ride daily. Instead I trail walk with the puppies.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think you will be better off at least trying it. If you find it's too much of an expense or takes up more time than you imagined or whatever, you can always stop and sell what you've made and bought.

Like Fran said, anything could happen tomorrow and we have no way of knowing...better to have at least done something that brings you absolute joy and pleasure and is good for your soul. And if H is supporting this, then all the more reason! Best of luck - I think you should do it if there is anyway possible to stretch the dollars and buy those new tires, truck, etc.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dear Annie Oakley,

I'm sorry you never became a Wild West Icon because you thought too long and too hard into the 20th century about buying those pearl handled pistols...oh wait - SHE DID buy them......

Have you looked at centerfire for the guns? They have a web site - and someone local would have a license to buy for you.

I think we get in a habit of DOING for others so much or doing without "because something may happen" so much that it becomes habit and then it physically becomes painful to do for ourselves. I'm in the same sort of process now trying to tell myself IT's OKAY to spend a little bit (a very little bit) on myself. When I master things like - See it, want it, buy it....I'll be better not only TO myself but FOR myself. I dont' have to go crazy but if it's something I want I need to STOP weighing it out so thoroughly - yes weigh it - but not to the degree most of us here do.

GO FOR IT - If I were there I'd go with you - I'm envious of the horse let alone the mounted blowing things up with a rifle.

And you said yourself - if you invest in the weapons - you CAN make your money back. Figure it out and go for it.

Hugs

Andy

Hobbies are an important part of life. They are our stress relievers. They keep us healthy. They are our time outs when life gets tough.

When I had easy child, I promised myself that my needs were not going to be shelved until my last child left home. I would make sure that I enjoyed life. Life shouldn't stop once you become a parent. It is important that our kids see that we enjoy something.

Hobbies are expensive.

It is so great that your husband is encouraging you. Not all spouse encourage their partners to do something outside the home.

I think this is important for you. Do it!

My parents had friends who use to say, "Don't wait until you are retired to do things you want to do. You never know what your health will be like when you retire."

nvts

Shari! Come on...you know you want to do it...

Think of it this way. You've invested time, money and hours off your life for kids and family. When's the last time you just did something for you?

Not for nothing, you're truly enjoying this...it's not like you woke up this morning and said "wow, I want to learn how to play the trumpet" and never had music lessons and couldn't carry a tune in a box - this is something that you've been wanting to do for a long time.

Go rent that old movie "Red Dawn" and instead of the bad guys being communist infiltrators, imagine it's the brooms - you need this instruction to save your family!

THIS IS NOT A LUXURY...IT'S A NECESSITY!!!

Plus, as we've all been seeing, we've all got the crankies and crabby's going on around here lately - there have been entire threads devoted to that fact. You'll save a FORTUNE on co-pays of antidepressants, hair color and chocolate!!! PLUS, you'll be exercising the horse and you!

Do it, come on...let me live vicariously through you! ;)

Beth

Abbey

Spork Queen
You know, if you have a great stress reliever in life the other crud doesn't seem so bad. GO FOR IT. All I ask for are some photos. :)

Abbey