I apologize for being a bit MIA lately ...

Ephchap

I've been dealing with quite a few medical issues with my mom. A month ago, she fell and suffered more compression fractures in her spine (she has severe osteoporosis). After an ER visit and then a few regular doctor visits, we got her a wheeled walker to use to keep her a little more steady on her feet.

Unfortunately, Monday morning she fell in her apartment (she lives in an independent senior apartment facility) and broke her hip. She had surgery yesterday afternoon, complete with a rod inserted in there to hold it together.

I've been pretty stressed and running pretty ragged with all this going on, so just wanted to apologize for not answering or posting as much. Please know that I'm reading when I can, and am thinking of everyone.

Hugs to all,
Deb

everywoman

It is so difficult to watch our parents, often the people who have been our support, lose their strenghth and vitality. When the roles reverse, and they turn to us for their support, it can be very stressful. Make sure you take time to care for yourself.

DammitJanet

Oh Deb...Im so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she does ok with all the surgery and gets back on her feet soon. Im sure you are worried sick. My thoughts and prayers are going out to you and her.

Ephchap

Thank you Kitty, EW and Janet for the good thoughts. Yes, it's going to be a long struggle for mom. She was pretty down the other day because she's still unable to even stand on her leg. She's so tiny and fragile and her arms aren't strong enough to pull herself up and hold onto the walker yet. They are building up her arm strength in the hopes that will help with the hip recovery as well.

Again, thanks, and I'll keep you posted.

Deb

Star*

call 911........call 911
SISSY!!!!!

I am so sorry that your Mom had a fall. I can not imagine how frustrating that must be for her. You get used to going, going, going in your long life and then you get older and things break and it takes longer to heal and you get depressed - it's hard to pull out of it. So I'm sending extra prayers for her.

Sorry you are run so ragged. My hugs & Love to flipper -
Hope all is better in the Eph Chap house soon.

Star

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
prayers for your Mom and for you <<<HUGS>>>

I am an only child so my Mom already knows I am it, although I keep telling her byt the time difficult child's are threw with me there will be nothing left.

Ephchap

Starbie, thanks for the good thoughts. Yes, mom is bored to death sitting in the wheelchair and the bed and actually loves going to physical therapy. It's definitely going to be a long process though. Progress is verrrrry slow.

Grace, LOL, I hear 'ya. I sometimes feel that way - that I'm so tired from raising a difficult child (which never ends, I hate to tell you) that I don't have a lot left in me.

I do go there at least 5 days a week to see her, even if it's only for a little while. I know she's bored, so she seems to perk up with even a short visit.

Again, thanks for the good thoughts.

Deb