I can SMILE again.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Cuz I have teeth! :rofl:

OMG it's been a long haul. Sept until today. Very long time. But in my opinion worth it as they fit great and look real.

Only it's funny because now it feels weird. Not too horrible, just strange. And dentist.......whom I'd recommend to anyone.......is very upfront with info so you know what to expect. Wore them for 2 hrs today and was told to chat it up like mad, but no trying to eat with them. Tomorrow goes to 4 hrs, still no eating. Next day 6 hrs......when I get to about 10 hrs then I can start learning to eat soft foods and progress from there.

First few mins was really strange. First hr talking with them was really strange. Brandon kept staring at me and grinning.......and staring and grinning. lol But was not too bad by the time it was time to take them out for the day.

Dentist said to clean them with the brush and dish soap! Now I've cleaned more people's dentures than I could ever begin to count. Never have I heard this. Most use the tablet things......and I'm supposed to use those too. And some use toothpaste.......but never dishsoap. But he said nothing beats it for removing stains. So........okkkkk. Guess it's dishsoap. lol

So now the joy of learning to talk, eat, and drink again. :bigsmile:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:bigsmile:
SHOW OFF THOSE TEETH GIRLY!!!

...Are they ceramic? If so... I could do the same with my teeth... Like a coffee cup...

DammitJanet

LOL...dish soap?

Lisa...I have a question. What have you been eating all this time? And how?

I just got another tooth out on thursday and I go back on the 7th for probably another one. Soon Im not gonna have any and its time for me to send Tony down to get his done too but he is really balking at the thought of not having any teeth and how he is going to eat. I am having a real problem figuring out how to eat now that I have hardly any in the back and now Im getting less in the front.

How have you been eating with none? Do tell!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Actually, it's not as hard as you'd think, eating with no teeth and/or temporaries and/or a mess in your mouth.

You do, however, learn what can and cannot be done. Biting apples? Nope. Baked apples? Yup! Cold soda? Not a chance. Room temp soda? Yippee! Corn on the cob? HAHAHAHAHA... but cut off the cob, no problem.

Lothlorien

Congrats!
Why not drink cold soda? I would think since there are no nerves in the teeth, you can now eat ice cream and drink cold drinks all you want! I can't eat ice cream anymore. I will take a small amount, but can't even let it come near the right side of my mouth! Very sensitive.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The teeth are resin I believe but probably would work for ceramic too.

As for eating without...........

First week or so was mostly creamed soups and soft stuff that really doesn't require much chewing per se like puddings, apple sauce, mashed potatoes, meatloaf (dentist told me about that one lol). As the gums healed.........and as I lost weight and got tired of watching everyone around me eating........it progressed with me trying new things including meat. Ground beef was first cuz it's not much different than meatloaf, then crockpot cooked meats of all types you just cut the bites smaller and the crock pot makes it tender and easier to chew. I can manage ritz crackers if I'm careful about it, even did oreos the other night.....and again have to let them soften a bit. Fresh fruits / veggies no, but cooked is all pretty managable. Fast food........until recently has been pretty much a no go. Last 2 months though I can do it now. Noodles are hard though. Don't ask me why but they drive me nuts. lol Chips ect no too. husband can do it but it hurts if I try it.

Last week I even managed a porterhouse steak.....cooked carefully by me to keep it tender. lmao Does make the gums sore sometimes depending on what you're eating. I broke down and had the steak because I just couldn't stand it anymore, store had a sale and I just had to give it a shot. :rofl:

It's a process though and as the gums heal you work your way up to a broader variety of foods.

Went to Golden Corral with the kids on sunday.........ate fried chicken (skin removed), mashed potatoes/gravy, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, popcorn shrimp. hush puppies, dinner roll, crab salad, steak, green beans.......and yup I stuffed myself silly as thankfully that is a very rare treat and the food was good. lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yup. Cut it small enough, and it's no big deal.

Actually - just because the teeth I have, have no nerves in them? Means nothing. The tooth, though, goes down into the bone... So if it touches there, it goes through to the closest nerve. And the top front 4 are a bridge of sorts, with a steel backing. That goes UP into my sinuses...

Cold is not so bad now, but during the construction period? The worst pain, EVER.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I can't do really cold stuff..............well ok, I can, I just have to be really careful about it.

Nerves may be in your teeth..............but they're also in the gums. And at times mine still tend to ache, nothing like with the bad teeth, but yeah they do ache. And ice cream not eating carefully can make me scream. Way worse than the cold sensitive teeth thing.....which I had bad. Cuz you tend to use the roof of your mouth and brain freeze is almost instant. omg So you do have to be careful.

As for the pop...........pop is really really hard on tooth enamel to begin with. But I dunno about cold pop.........I only drink mine when I have it at room temp.

H

HaoZi

So glad to hear you got them finally and are really liking them!

I'm minus a number of teeth, have extensive dental work, and two metal crowns in the upper - yes, that cold does go right through to the sinuses! Even the wind on that side of my face in fall and winter hurts really bad. Both of my bio-parents were in full dentures in their 40s.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am reading all of this with fascination and awe. My teeth are becoming spiky spindles in my mouth due to the no vit D/low calcium in my body. So in the next couple of years i will be right there with no teeth or false teeth. I am NOT looking forward to it. My orthodontist from high school still has my molds because my teeth moved perfectly to show what he wanted them to do. Since I hated him (had the personality of a Mr Potatohead with zero features on it and was a jerk) I won't be showing him how they work now, but they don't feel good. Not too much pain and orajel is helping a lot so far. But i am filing all this away for when mine are gone.

I am so happy you got your teeth! You must feel like a whole new woman!! I am glad you let your mom help you out with these. You deserve them! Now send us a picture of that pretty smile!!

DammitJanet

I actually now only have my two front teeth on the left side and then one back molar on the top. Sigh. On the right side, I have three front and one molar. On the bottoms I have the fronts to the canines which is the threes in each direction and then two molars on the left and one on the right. Unfortunately on the right my my teeth dont match up in the back so chewing is problematic. I can only grind on my left side and now with the gaping whole on my left side that is pretty much history and I think he is going to take out one of the molars on the 7th anyway. Fun fun.

I need to just ask him about planning to remove them all and get set up for the works. I also need to have Tony call and get himself set up for the works. We might as well be miserable together. We could stand to lose weight anyway...lol.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Susie, Janet... Been there... It hoovered BAD... But it's worth having the work done if you can afford it.