I Can't Stand 7 yr old girls!

nvts

AAAAGGGGHHH! difficult child 3 is making me nuts! It's amazing - she'll try and lie so that the boys will get busted for something, she's on and on about clothes, she talks non-stop, wants to use the phone (and lies about using it when I say "no") and is so obsessed with herself that it's like no one else exists! Ick! She's like a typical teen, but she's only SEVEN!!!

When I was 7, I was a tomboy. Remember "smoking the toes" of your sneakers by flying down the street on your bike and dragging the sneaker toes so the rubber burned? I did it the other day on difficult child 2's bike. Just to show them what we did as kids. The boys loved it! She looked at me in absolute horror and was trying to "shoo" me into the house before someone saw me on the bike.

What a little jack---!

7 yr old girls are icky!

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:

tiredmommy

Beth... I soooo understand because I had one and I too was a tomboy.

Duckie was about the most girlyish girlie-girl you could meet (favorite color is pink- paint on her bedroom walls is called "pink tutu", seriously played with dolls including a fierce connection with Barbie, into being fashionable and popular, and the drama(!) ...basically a complete opposite of mom at the same age).

Then, last fall, something changed. She fell in with a third grade tom boy in her class. She has decided that she will now be a tom boy because they have more fun and get along better with others than the girlie-girls. I still wouldn't say she's a tom boy but she's actually dropped quite a bit of the annoying girlie-girl act.

There is hope.

maril

Who says sugar and spice and everything nice?! (lol) I can't remember very well what my daughter was like at 7. I know she did love her dollies very much.

on the other hand, I do remember when she was going on 18, and it was not fun (not for me, anyway). Luckily, we got through that phase of life and she is doing well in her 20s. I look at her sometimes and think that I don't deserve a fine daughter like her.

SRL

She's like a typical teen, but she's only SEVEN!!!

My oldest child was like a typical teen from preschool age onward and once I realized and accepted that about his temprament it made dealing with him a lot easier. Interactions, communication style, being embarrassed about parents, etc. were all right out of the typical teen playbook through all of his elementary years. When I asked what happened at preschool that day he would shrug and say "nothing" so I finally resorted to putting it on a job chart and paying him. A few times teachers talked to me about how he was behaving and I told them to approach him like a teenager and once they did that the light bulbs went off and they knew what to do.

There were some pretty frustrating times along the way but in his case he actually improved with age and communicates with me more now as a teenager. Go figure. :hairy:

trinityroyal

Oh Beth, that's a tough combination for certain. Tomboy mommy and girlie-girl daughter.

I was mostly tomboy, but had my fair share of girlie moments.
My 2 best friends and I used to play Charlie's Angels at recess. We practised lipstick, and hair flipping, and running "like girls", and stopping to pose with fingers poised to look like guns. Golly! Totally embarrassing to think of it now.

Give her time. She may get over herself sooner rather than later. Who knows. If she's getting this out of her system now maybe she'll be done with it before the teens strike (fingers crossed). Otherwise, you can perfect your mad skillz as an embarrassing mom extraordinaire (which, by the way, is my life's ambition)

Good luck!

Trinity

skeeter

This was my one fear - and I am SO glad I only had boys!!! I would have been a total embarrassment to a "girly girl" and I wouldn't have know what to do with her.

I had Barbi's growing up - but we played "car wreck" with them!!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am so with you. I'll take a bus load of boys over a car full of girls any day. Ugh. easy child 2, even tho she's a bit tomboy, still is girly enough to wear me slick. The Barbies I had growing up are still pretty much in mint condition (cause I never touched them)

And we just sent out birthday party invites to have 10 of them spend the night. Ugh.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child was age 9-11. Gag me. She was determined she was Little Miss Perfect. As I recall she spent alot of time in her room (at 30 min intervals) those years due to constant tattling on the younger kids and trying to Mother them.

Nichole thank goodness never did it. Too Tom Boy.......and 3 yrs of easy child pointing out her every flaw. ugh

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, yeah, easy child 2 is SO the mother hen. To everything.

The dog.
Wee difficult child.
Her dad.
easy child 1.
The turtle.
Ugh.

Lothlorien

That is so funny that she might be embarrassed if someone saw YOU on a bike! She is too young to be embarrassed by her mom yet!

Though I wouldn't be too happy about the ruining their sneakers by doing that. Didn't your mother give you a ration of you-know-what for doing that?

M

ML

Beth I hear you. Manster too has been a typical teen from birth. What I thought was terrible twos was typical teen (is there a difference lol)?

Hang in there, we feel your pain.

ML

nvts

I'll be honest: When she was three I told people she was suffering from "THREE-M-S" instead of pms and when she turned 4, I claimed that she was going through menofours. At least it lessened the tension!

Loth: the only time Mom got mad at me for "smokin' my toes" was the time she insisted on buying me those girly "skips" (I wanted a $5 pair of converse from the local store - the skips were $15 and too girly!) and I tried to smoke 'em. Tore the fronts apart!

Told her they weren't tough enough to handle me! (I still lean to one side when I relive that particular memory - off the left cheek! OUCH!).

Beth

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I was a tom boy! I lived with boys most of my life though.
I remember seething when Grandma bought K her first Barbie at 4 I think.
But K is like a tom boy with no clue.
She wants to be a girly girl and a tom boy but is so immature and socially clueless that she can't do either! LOL

So she studies the encyclopedia and dinosaurs... purchases science kits with her allowance. But then will buy a Barbie out of the blue, and not play with it unless N is playing and asks her.
N is in between also.

Luckily for husband and I because I think I would go crazy with a prima-donna princess!!!
But K loves Unicorns and Faeries. But in a mythical sense.

I made G.I. Joe beat up my Barbies and take them hostage. LOL

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I made clothes for my barbies, played house, made a mess out of myself making mud pies, pretended I was Evel Knievel on the swing set... I am amazed I don't have a permanent disability... Smoked my sneakers' toes - wheelies too (don't tell my Mom, she'll spank me NOW for it)... Helped Dad work on the car... I was everything and nothing. Still am, although I still hate dresses. And pink.

nvts

Step! You sound so much like me when I was a kid (except the Barbie part!). My mom used to call me pigpen (sticks and leaves in my hair, you name it). We used to look for arrowheads in the woods, catching frogs and turtles and believe it or not, they used to have mosquito sprayers on the backs of trucks that we would follow for miles because we loved the smell! DDT with your lunch anyone?

I know my mother is sitting on a cloud laughing her butt off because she wished it on me!

Another Mothers Curse (the first one is: "I hope you have a kid JUST LIKE YOU!!!!").

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I like girlie girls. My easy child is a combo girl. I was too. I adapt to either one. I really don't mind 7 year olds. She could come and visit her auntie beth. We would spoil her here though. I think the farther I get from the young ones the more soft my brain gets. I mean difficult child 2 just turned 16 and he is our youngest so 7 is cute again.

(the other)
beth

DammitJanet

I never had a girl...wanted one so badly.

Now I have my girly girl, little princess, pretty in pink, smiling, giggly little girl. I pray she stays this way...lol.

donna723

I remember my daughter driving me up the wall when she was about that age. By that time they had been in school just about long enough to become very social - they were always bickering and forming little 'clubs' so they could exclude one kid or the other. Regular little drama queens at that age. Then she straightened out for a few years. THEN she hit 11 or 12 and stayed thoroughly obnoxious till she was about 15. That's when the eye-rolling and the smart-mouthing starts.

The only time I really couldn't stand to be around my son was when his voice was changing! He was always a sweet kid and and stayed on a pretty even keel, but he got very loud and with that squeaky voice, he sounded like a donkey braying! It was like fingernails on a chalkboard and I just wanted him to shut up until he hit about 16!