I didn't know that dogs could cough up fur balls!

TerryJ2

I forgot to post about what happened to Google after he ate difficult child's bag of Valentine's Day chocolate with the wrappers.
husband came up to me in the kitchen the other day with-the weirdest shaped thing I've ever seen. He said he found it on the floor between the kitchen and livingroom. It was long and twisted and bunched together and a bit dried out and half like something man-made and half nature-oriented, in a gross way ... like something you'd see on the street and not know what it is ...
and then a lightbulb went off--Google barfed it up!
And husband touched it with-his hands. Aaarggh! He does that with-dead bugs, too. Clearly, a bio major. I imagine Mr. Spock raising an eyebrow and saying "Fascinating." Meanwhile, I'm jumping up and down and freaking out and cannot get away from the trash can fast enough.
I guess, all-in-all, that's good news, because the dog is fine. None the worse for the wear.
Can't say that about myself ...:faint:

keista

Are you sure that's the end it came out of? Sorry that is the ONLY thought going through my mid right now. EWWWWW!

donna723

Well, at least he finally got rid of it. Had to be wadded up in his stomach for several days. I would still keep an eye on him though, just in case that wasn't all of it. Dogs can sometimes keep things in their stomachs for an incredibly long time without them passing on in to their intestines. I know a girl who found a 2"x2"x2" corner chewed off of a thick piece of carpeting in her living room. She couldn't find the piece of carpet and she suspected that one of her dogs had chewed it up but didn't know which one. SIX MONTHS LATER her French bulldog started retching and out comes this 2"x2"x2" triangle of carpeting! It had been sitting in her stomach all that time and just finally got irritating enough to come back up!

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm doubting he barfed it up from the description.........there would be much more evidence of barfing left behind. But I am glad he got it out of his system one way or the other, as it can cause some serious issues. I hope husband scrubbed his hands well. eww

donna723

It would probably look about the same no matter which end it came out of! Dogs can come out with some really weird things from either end, things you never knew that they ate! My Ragan once ate some paper towels and I didn't know she did it until they started coming out her southern end. My daughter used to have a Husky that would eat anything! She once ate a whole little carton of plumbers putty, then finished off with a box of crayons for dessert! Didn't hurt her a bit, went right through her, but she had white poop with festive multi-colored speckles for days!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL donna

Our basset Holly had a "thing" for crayons. I always knew when the kids failed to pick up their crayons because suddenly Holly would have multicolored poo for several days. :rofl: Only thing that silly dog did that with. She never bothered anything else.

Mama Raygun

Ha! Have to laugh at that one my dog pooped out an army man the other day!! He's only 9 lbs. husband said he was making a political statement! As a vet tech none of that stuff bothers me anymore. Just keep an eye on him to make sure there is no obstruction.

donna723

OMG! No army men here, thank goodness!

The strangest thing one of mine has ever come out with was right after I got a new sofa delivered and they had hauled off the old ratty one with the torn cushions. Several hours later my Ragan (a 20 lb. Boston) started retching and choking and I watched as this disgusting looking 3"x2" yellowish-white lumpy thing covered with chewed up dog food came out of her mouth! And just as I was staring at it and thinking "WTH?", the darned lumpy thing started expanding, right before my eyes! It just grew and grew and got bigger and bigger ... and I finally realized that the "thing" laying there on the carpet was a chunk of foam rubber! That skinny little dog had somehow managed to swallow a chunk of foam rubber as big as her head! I have no earthly idea how she got it down or how she managed to do it without me seeing her! But apparently it got compacted in her stomach and the air got squeezed out of it, then her little stomach decided to reject it, and out it came!

susiestar

Roll With It
Only on this board would a topic like this pop up. I find it fascinating.

Dogs CAN have hairballs, esp if they are long haired and get into Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) licking/chewing. Mostly they pass it out the other end, but a friend had a little-ish fluffy white dog (looked like a mini samoyed) that used to hack them up after he got some skin problem.

Dogs will eat almost anything, I guess. I am glad we didn't have to deal with all that.

FYI, the Fed Clearinghouse in Pueblo Colorado has a pamphlet about using NSAIDS to help dogs with pain. I just got a copy of their catalog in the mail (NO idea why it came, but it has some interesting stuff) and it might be of interest to those of you with dogs.

TerryJ2

OMG, rofl. This is gross but funny. And all that, too.

Army men? Okay, so my borzoi ate a Barbie once and I found a Barbie head out in the back yard one day ...
I guess it would be good to look up how to use NSAIDS for dogs in pain for when I strangle Google, because he's not only gone through chocolates, but several expensive, hand embroidered pillows, my $400 bifocal lenses and frames and a bunch of difficult child's homework. (I took a picture of it and mailed it to the librarians at school last yr. They thought it was so funny they printed it out and put it up in the ofc. That's because he's not their dog.)

Last edited:

donna723

Still on the odd things they will eat ... years ago my (former) brother-in-law cashed his paycheck and left the money in his leather wallet on an end table - a whole two weeks pay in cash. Their German Shepherd, Dylan, was in the house when the he put down the wallet but brother in law didn't think anything of it. Several hours later he was going to go out and gas up his car and when he looked where he had left the wallet, it was gone! In sheer panic, they searched every last inch of that house, even though he was sure he knew where he had left it. It wasn't until they went in to the back yard and found some scraps of chewed leather, his mangled drivers license, and some tiny pieces of green paper that they realized what had happened to the wallet. Dylan had not only eaten most of the wallet, he had eaten two weeks pay in cash! For the next whole week that dog pooped out little scraps of chewed up money and a few tens and twenties actually emerged in one piece! They cleaned them up as well as they could and used them to pay their electric bill.

tiredmommy

Yes, my kittehs get hairballs on occasion... but I have yet to find a plastic toys, candy, household articles or cash among what they joylessly spew forth onto my carpets. Usually before 6AM.

InsaneCdn

Yes, my kittehs get hairballs on occasion... but I have yet to find a plastic toys, candy, household articles or cash among what they joylessly spew forth onto my carpets. Usually before 6AM.
How about that stockpile of dead mice, brought in from some far field?
Or the not-dead songbird, brought in to "play" with?
Or...

I guess I'm not quite a cat person, but I worked (long-term) with several ladies who were... and the stories they told just convinced me that I'd never be a cat person.

And they just smiled knowingly and said... that they figured some of us were cat people and some were dog people ... and the rest of the population was just strange.
<grin>

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So far my cats have rarely left me a present. If it's left....it's parts, not the whole deal. I guess maybe it's their way of sharing their kill with me. eww I'm waiting for the day easy child's cat Simba brings her a squirrel. He's determined, and I've never seen a cat hunt the way he can. Maybe he actually believes he's a lion. lol She feared he'd starve outside, or worse because they'd removed his front claws. Unable to stop him from urinating all over the baby's things is what got him put outside. He vanished for more than a month, then suddenly reappeared. I was watching the boys that day and started calling to him with Darrin. Took a few days but he has not disappeared again, he stays right in the area. But he's a fat cat, and not simply because easy child feeds him.......because he shares his food with the stray friends he brings home. He's fat because even with no front claws he's turned into one heckova hunter.

Bruce has decided any grease is wonderful. Nothing will keep him out of it either. If for some reason I don't get to dishes one night and cooking involved any sort of grease or animal fat (even roasting), I'll find his paws prints in what little is left in the morning. There isn't much left either, no matter how much it is. So far doesn't seem to be hurting him any. He's as insane as ever. :rofl:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa, the grease is probably keeping him from hacking up hairballs. Is he still drooling???

Our dog is very good about not eating most things. But... Hard plastic objects... The year we moved in, we had ants so we planted ant spikes. He's lucky he didn't kill himself - he ate FOUR of them!

AngelKitten loved chocolate. I had to lock it up - she opened drawers going after it. Squirrel loves that craft foam. Any time I make something I have to put it out of her reach!

I had a dog, Rainbow, who liked beer cans... I think she was trying to clean her teeth, because she never actually swallowed them, just mangled them.