I didn't listen to my mommy gut and today I'm paying for it.

Californiablonde

So on Wednesday and Friday nights my mom watches the kids for two hours while I attend my alcohol groups. Last time she had them, difficult child 2 was super hyper. He body slammed himself into walls and windows and even broke the blinds. Last night, before my mom came over, she told me she did not want a repeat of what happened the last time. She insisted I give him his Focalin before she came over. We usually get home around 4:30 in the afternoon, which in my opinion is waaaay too late to give a stimulant, especially to a kid who has sleep issues to begin with. My mom insisted on it. She even threatened to drop off my son at my elderly grandmother's if he did not behave.

My grandmother is in her nineties and doesn't have cable or a computer. Having to go over there is a major punishment for difficult child. My poor grandmother would not be able to handle him and his hyperactivity. My mom insisted I give him his pill or she would drop him off there. I did not want to see that happen, so I complied. I gave him his medications at 4:30. After my alchohol class was over, I got home by about 8:15. My mom could not stop raving about how good difficult child 2 was the entire time I was gone. Said he was like an angel. He did not get hyper once, and he even helped my mom clean the place up a bit. Only thing is he was a motor mouth the entire time (stims do that to him) but she said she didn't mind at all. By the time I got home difficult child 2 was still talking a mile a minute. I was very concerned about him being able to sleep. My mom assured me that she gave him his melatonin and he would probably sleep like a baby....yeah right.

My son was up ALL night. He wasn't able to even wind down and try to sleep until 2:45! Normally I am essentially knocked out from my Geodon by 10:00. I couldn't get a restful sleep, however, because I knew difficult child was still wired. I felt as if I had to monitor him while he was still awake, so neither of us got much sleep at all. He finally fell asleep around 3:00 and woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning before I had to go to work. He doesn't seem to be suffering from lack of sleep, but I am! SO totally not worth it. My mom is still insisting I give him his pill every time she watches him. She cannot handle his hyperness when he is off his medications. So what am I supposed to do? Not sleep every Wednesday and Friday night so my mom can have two hours of peace when she is with him? Between me and her, I think I can handle difficult child and his hyperactivity much better than she. Most of the time I'm able to brush it off and ignore it, unless he starts doing something destructive, which is rare for him.

I honestly do not want to give him his pill so late in the afternoon again, but my mom is insisting on it. I guess I have no other choice but to comply, because it is absolutely imperative that somebody watches my kids while I go to those meetings. difficult child 1 is old enough to watch him, but it would only be a recipe for disaster. They are both brutal to each other. They hit, kick, throw, bite, scratch, and draw blood. I simply cannot trust them alone together for barely five minutes much less two hours. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and take it, cause I have no other choice. I just wish there was another ADHD medication out there that didn't get in the way of his sleeping...sigh.

InsaneCdn

Well... once you're into summer holidays, you can give him the medications much earlier... The bigger challenge is surviving the next week or two!

InsaneCdn

Can Folacin be split? We do that with Ritalin all the time. difficult child needs a booster for evening activities (school concert, for example)... but a full dose would last too long, so we give him a half-dose. Not "quite" as effective, but still has a huge impact on a shorter window of time.

Californiablonde

Even if I give them to him earlier they're still gonna wear off by the time she gets there. She wants me to give them to him right before she comes so they last a few hours. At least in the summer I can sleep in!

InsaneCdn

Try a half-dose. Seriously. That way you CAN give it right before she comes... but it "should" wear down far enough to get difficult child more sleep than last time...! Ask the psychiatrist, if nothing else. There are ways of doing an "evening top-up" without having the long-term effects...

InsaneCdn

At one point, we were splitting 5mg generic Ritalin tabs... and the 2.5mg in the half-tab was "just enough" for survival... Hope you can try it!

Californiablonde

Well my mom gave me the okay to skip his night time pill tonight. She is taking him to the movies and usually he's very good in the theater. She will want him to take it again on Wednesday, though. I just emailed psychiatrist to ask if it was okay to split the pill. I am still awaiting his response.

susiestar

Roll With It
Ask the psychiatrist if you can also have an rx for generic ritalin. This stays in the body FAR shorter than focalin, and the lowest dose should help with evening behavior nd not keep him up all night. Heck, you can problem also give hm both benadryl and melatonin for sleep. Benadryl is what is in the tylenol pm type medications and it works well for sleep when needed.

Ritalin is in the body for 3-5 hrs, adderal for 4-6, so those might be a better choice for evenings because they wear off sooner. We did this when Wiz was on concerta and had to go do something at night after his medications wore off.