I don't have a title for this post...I'm just having a darn hard time!

trinityroyal

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} DDD. I agree with the others that you're not whining, just venting. You have so much going on, you need to get it off your chest and this is the perfect place to do it. Vent away. We're here with ears to listen, shoulders to lean on and arms to hug and hold you.

DDD

Thank you all for the understanding and caring responses. With "the light of day" I can "almost" describe last night as a dark comedy sketch. After nine hours working high stress computer data at work I walked into the kitchen where I was met by Ace with a Christmas ornament in his mouth. I looked and his food and water bowls were empty which meant of course he was hungry and thirsty...happily he did not eat the ornament. Then the kitchen filled with smoke and husband says "oh it seems smokey in here". DUH! He had the preheated oven going and the asparagus he was trying to cook had fallen to the oven floor with about a half cup of olive oil. Yikes. Then..aha...it was apparent he was going to use his bare hand to pick up the mess from the bottom of the oven. Yep he was beyond "in his cups". What a scene!

Last week he came home from work inebriated. Yeah, driving drunk. We had this problem years ago and I just did not think I would have to face it again with me in my seventies and him eighty, for goodness sake! Janet, easy child in Texas believes that her Dad would not be able to face life without Ace. She is kindhearted. This week I would like to sent husband and Ace to live in San Antonio! :) Thanks again, you all. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Maybe you should just cut out the middle man here and hang Milk bones on the tree? I'll help you with any data entry you have if I can......I'm a call away if it would help. AND I do know the part names. lol.

Hugs.

S

Signorina

DDD; I don't know what to say. I read your post last night on my phone and I knew i couldn't type out what I wanted to say and put the kind of thought into it that you deserve. I came here to answer and I see your update.

You amaze me. Your smiley face, your apparent sense of humor and the fact that you didn't go running far far away last night and set the house afire as you left. Not that you would ever be a murderess - but it is a thought I might have entertained were I in your shoes... especially since you could have blamed the asparagus! (see avatar)

I wish you were closer. I'd come to work for you at no charge. I know we both are in wholesale/retail and I suspect our industries are very similar. I know the stress that the economy is putting on my business and the crushing stress that it put on H's business. With H's business - started in 1999 and greatly stressed in 2002 by the post 9/11 economy - we had just started to breathe again after 3 stable years when the whole thing went to heck in 2008. For 2 years we gamely forged ahead, convinced that the new economic reality was a game of "last man standing." We borrowed to buy time and stopped taking any pay in 2010, by that time we HAD to keep the business running because we had personally cosigned the loans to keep it afloat. And at least the business could afford the minimum payments...everything we did was a huge mistake. We effectively closed H's business 11/24/2012 --13 years to the day from starting it and it will formally cease operation - turn in our FEIN number, check the box marked "final return" on all the 12/31/2012 tax forms, tell our remaining unpaid vendors that we have closed due to insolvency - on 12/31/12. And I tear up as I type but I can't tell you if they are tears of pain or tears of relief. I thought I'd be sad, I thought I'd be panicking about the personal financial hit we will take to pay off the remaining loans; I thought both of us would be heartbroken at the ugly end of a dream, the sacrifices that didn't pay off...and honestly - my primary feeling is one of RELIEF. It surprises even me. It's like a huge load has been lifted from my shoulders. Yes, H has a new job which makes it easier. Our household will be at a big deficit each month - but not the enormous deficit it had when H stopped getting paid for TWO YEARS. Keeping the business open was insanity - we felt like we didn't have any other choice - but maybe we did. It hurts to bite this bullet but we couldn't keep digging ourselves deeper into that hole. And the pass through tax implications were going to KILL us. We were actually showing a profit on paper BECAUSE H wasn't getting paid.

I am proudly flying the white flag of surrender.

Think about it. You can't keep up this pace. It can't be worth it.

DDD

Our business operates with an industry specific software program that I bought twenty years ago or so for twenty grand. It stopped working October 14th and because it is DOS based and ancient a computer team worked until this week trying to pull it up so we would be able to send statements, run invoices..yikes, even know what to sell the parts for when customers were waiting. STRESS! Wednesday morning I literally took off in the car and went searching for an older man who used to help us out years ago. I found him! Furthermore, he got the system up and running in thirty minutes. A real miracle for sure. So..now..I am entering all the handwritten sales tickets into the computer, posting all the payments in the computer and very thankful that we did not have to shut the doors with-o even knowing who owed us money!

We opened in 1976. The business has provided a "get by" living for raising all those kids. Our nest egg was spent on difficult child issues. We do see signs of improvement in the economy and a slight increase in sales lately. We are eager to sell the business or sell the building. Commercial real estate is dead still. It's a waiting game but I am hopeful that I, too, will feel relief before long. husband and I have very different personalities and expectations. This year should tell the tale.

I'm sorry you had to close your doors. on the other hand it is great that you all are healthy and young enough to change careers and have good reason to hope for a bright future. I sure hope it exceeds your expectations. Thanks to all who offered help.
by the way, easy child/difficult child has been a easy child around here...even working with-o pay as needed. I need to focus on the positives. DDD