I dont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fabbit

I posted a while back but somehow my post got posted under someone else.

My 7 yr old has had behavioral issues at school on and off since Kindergarten. Now in 2nd grade they have set up a FBA and testing. The FBA team is not on agreement regarding how to proceed. Some believe he can be helped with additional supports in a "regular" classroom for 3rd grade. Administration wants him moved to an 8:1:1 (Out of his building)

I reluctantly agreed to allow them to schedule an IEP meeting and a tour of the 8:1:1. I do not feel removing him from his friends and familiar school is necessary. He tested at an IQ level of 133 in all the testing the school did. The problems are he gets frustrated VERY easily when people do not see what he is trying to say or do. It is almost like he thinks they should know what he is thinking in his head and gets angry when they dont. Then he responses are over reactions to the situation. They are afraid he will get hurt or accidently hurt someone else. The classification would be emotionally impaired. The more I say it in my head, the more I DO NOT want that label applied to him.

They said if I refuse an IEP he gets no supportive help. If I agree they can attempt added supports in current school, but if that doesnt work it would be easier to move him for 3rd grade to the other school. My worry is that once I agree, the supports would be minimal and they would claim it did not work and just move him out.

dadside

The first thing I'd want is some assessment by my own professional, not just the school's FBA. Tha seems especially important since the school staff is in disagreement, although the admin. wants him moved out. I'd read that as substantial evidence that your son's needs can be met adequately in his current school --- given that many teachers will side with the principal on almost anything for their own reasons. Your own assessment also would help get a good handle on appropriate supports.

Your son can have supports without an IEP, but an IEP would mandate them, and spelling them out in the document would at least put on paper what the should do -- not just the minimum. Of course, proving what actually happens could be another issue at some point.

You and your son would benefit from the help of an advocate before the IEP meeting. A few states have state-wide programs offering trained volunteer help. Many states have local or regional programs offering the same. And every state has a "Parent Training and Information Center" which should be able to point you toward help.

Status
Not open for further replies.