I don't remember hurting this much the last time...

KTMom91

The surgery went well, and the pain didn't really start up until about bedtime last night. And when it started, it REALLY started. I have a muscle relaxant along with Norco, so I'm unable to track conversations (Hubby says I'm repeating myself), but the worst part is that I can't get comfortable. I'm supposed to have my leg elevated, but it feels like my knee locks when I do, and then I can't walk. The muscle relaxants turn my brain to oatmeal, but I can sleep, then I'm stiff and sore when I wake up.

Just wanted to check in, it's almost time for another pain pill, then it's off to bed. Thursday I get to take a shower. I can hardly wait. It was 106 today...how did the pioneers stand it with no fans or anything way back in the day?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm surprised you're even online today! Are you supporting the knee when your leg is elevated (like with a small pillow under it)? Maybe that will help with that locking feeling...

Hope you are able to sleep tonight. Maybe hubby can sponge you down tonight to help you cool off -- and slip an ice cube into the wash cloth!

Glad it went well -- (((hugs)))

witzend

Mary, I'm sorry that you are not doing as well as you had hoped. Keep up with those pain pills. It's harder to take pain away than it is to prevent it!

DammitJanet

Mary...I had worse pain with my second operation than I did my first. I think I got a fake sense of well being with the second one and thought I could be superwoman. I thought wrong! I went to bed the first night thinking that sense I was already on a pain pill for my other problems that was long acting...and the knee was numb from the surgery, that I wouldnt have to take a percocet till I woke up. Oh that wasnt smart at all!!! I should have taken a percocet as soon as I got home as directed and then when I laid down. OMG...the pain hit me like at 2 am and nothing would touch it. I screamed for hours...lol.

maril

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so badly. Get some rest and maybe tomorrow things will be a little better.

everywoman

Here's another to say the second was worse than the first. Of course, by the 2nd the first knee was already weaker. I had a much worse time. Sorry. Elevate. Pain medications. Ice.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Mary, I think when it got that hot back in the day that the pioneers checked themselves into the nearest air conditioned Holiday Inn. Surely the heat can't be helping you feel better so it might be worth considering for yourself for a day or so? Big hugs. I hope the pain eases up soon.

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
I wanted to reinforce what gvcmom said about a suport to the knee while elevating the leg. It should be a bit of a gradual incline.

106!!!! I doubt I could be chair bound or bed bound in that heat. Truthfully Suz makes a good suggestion. A day and night in a/c may make a big inroad into giving you comfort.

Pioneers smelled really, really bad.

Lothlorien

Make sure you are putting pillows under the knee, as well as under the leg, so the knee doesn't hyperextend. Maybe some ice packs might help?

Star*

call 911........call 911
If it's any comfort to you - Pioneers did not have knee surgery - they just cut off bad knees with a rusty saw. In 106 degree heat - but they got whiskey. LOTS and LOTS of whiskey.

Maybe instead of Norco - you could have WHISKEY? And like the other gals said - make sure you have lots of ice - with your WHISKEY. :tongue:

Here's hoping you are feeling better....today.....and everyday after this one. I just know I'm right - because if you have WHISKEY and plenty of ice - you'll get your legs over your head in NO time! ;) Getting them back down may be a problem but elevating them while singing Yankee Doodle will NOT be a problem!

Sorry you are hurting -
Hugs & Love
Star

KTMom91

Both the surgery center and the doctor's office called yesterday to see how I was doing. I told them I was really hurting. They both asked, "Are you taking your pain medication?" :faint: I did not tell them I thought that was a dumb question.

I have a pillow under my knee, and I'm getting around pretty well with a cane. Miss KT calls me Moses and laughs hysterically when she sees me walk around the house. But she did make a special trip home after school today to take the dog out and make sure I all right, so I'll forgive some of the old people cracks.

It's only supposed to be 103 today. Whiskey sounds pretty good, though...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:frozen::blizzard::frostbite::snowangel::snowing::skate::2cold::windy:

Sending some cool breezes your way (although it's 86 in the shade here... so I went to my mom's at the beach and got a huge bag of cool air from THERE)...

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am so sorry you are in such pain.
Sometimes a towel rolled up under the knee, so you can have have the small incline with a pillow from there length wise under the rest of the leg helps as well.
My husband has had a long and lengthy gout attack for the past week and we have been 108, 105, 107....well you get it! He has been wishing for a bottle of vodka and a saw.
I told him I would send Star* out! LOL

Hope it starts feeling less painful, don't it lock up! slight bend is your friend!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Mary,
I'm so sorry for your pain and the heat making it even worse. Sending healing thoughts and hoping it cools down for you soon. Hugs.