I don't think I am going to like difficult child's new school

steph3306

He is to be bused to a structered learning room for Kind. There is only five in his class. I am pretty sure that the other four(know 3 for sure) can not talk and my son is very verbal. They have sections for him to work on independent things, puzzles etc... Well I am having a hard time seeing how he is going to learn a kind. cirriculum and learn how to communicate if their is no communication in the classroom. He is very high functioning and very, very smart!!

Now he does have bad behavior or he would have went to a different school. I am just so confused. The teachers said they will interlock him with the regular kind. as much as possible. I just keep seeing this vision of my son sitting at school for 7 hours and not talking to anyone. If I don't like this school what should I do next? Am I just being a baby because he is going to kind. Am I hurting because reality is setting in that he is disabled?

BusynMember

Hi there.
I wouldn't have liked that either for my high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) son, however I DID want him in a small classroom. We looked around and found an interesting class that was for mild CD kids and although my son is also smart in academics, he had many social deficits. The class seemed like a good fit for him. Everyone could talk and he turned into a leader (there were 12 kids or so). My son got SO MUCH 1-1 attention that he was spoken to all the time, and he was mainstreamed for half the day with an aide. He is now turning sixteen and mainstreamed except for an extra study hall where he gets help. He is going to get his driver's license soon. He sits with at the "geek" table at school with all the ultra-smart kids and he loves school. He is doing 100% better than we ever dreamed he would be. I'm glad he started out in a small classroom where the teachers spent so much time with him. With Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) it's not just about academics. These kids sorely lack social skills and socialize better in small groups, and, sadly, even if they are in big classrooms, for the most part, the "typical" kids do not interact with them.
In my daughter's class, there is a very bright boy with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. The other kids ignore him except to tease him when the teachers aren't there (he is 12). He doesn't have friends or sit with other kids at a table. He got angry last year and tried to choke the aide twice. I have talked to his father and he refuses to put his son in Special Education. I personally think my son is doing a lot better than his. At least he feels he belongs and has slowly gained social skills and certain life skills.
It's really your call what you feel is best for your son. I liked "mixed" Special Education classes rather than one class for one disorder. My sister is an aide in an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) class and from what she has told me about their methods, it doesn't sound like they are getting the right kind of help. Go with your gut.

jal

Hi Steph3306,

Did you get a say in this school? Were you given other options to look into? Having to place your child in an alternative program is a hard thing to do when it doesn't match the expectations you have always had for your child. My difficult child went through mainstream kind with-a 1 on 1 and it was a half day program. By the time he was in 1st grade it was evident that he couldn't cope in mainstream. His was all behavior too. My child was always very verbal and very smart.

We put him in a therapeutic program out of district for 1st grade and he will be attending this yr for 2nd grade. He is in a class with 6 others and he is the youngest. These kids have ED and OHI classifications. It broke our hearts. husband and I cried after touring the program because we always assumed difficult child would go through the same elem school that husband did.

Our child thrived this year in the program. We really like his teacher and he has a 1 on 1 and so many additional supports. His math and reading exploded. He loves school and he really is learning on working on his behaviors in the classroom. We are pleased with what he has accomplished this year and pleased with the program he is attending. I also believe this program helped him to have a successful 2 week run at day camp where he emerged as a leader in his group (he had previously been kicked out of every day care he has ever attended).

He has been diagnosis'd with-BiPolar (BP), ADHD/ADD combined type, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, Mood disorder not otherwise specified - you name it (that's why my signature says pick one), but really I believe with-the latest testing that he is ADHD/ADD combined with-mood-not otherwise specified...

If you are unsure of the program start asking questions of the teacher who runs it. If it doesn't feel like a good fit, ask for other options. If your child is being placed out of mainstream you have a right to say yes or no to the program offered and to have the SD find another alternative for your child. Do not let them pigeon hole you into a program you do not feel is right or that may stifle your child.

steph3306

I am think of maybe getting an educational advocate for him. I still don't even understand what his diagnosis means let alone what education room is best for him. My main concern is I don't want him to regress.

steph3306

Here is the email I got back from the school

We understand completely your questioning and hesitation for Jacob’s kindergarten year. From what we know of him, he is an extremely bright and capable child who absolutely needs to be challenged on many levels. The structured learning program is designed for children who are not as able to access general education curriculum with a need for intense structure and support for behavior and social skills. We have students with a broad range of needs and we work very hard to individualize every aspect of our day to best meet those needs. No one knows Jacob as well as you and we will rely on your expert opinion and do what it takes to make this a positive school experience. Your concerns about classmates with lower skill levels and the effects it will have on Jacob are valid and we appreciate you bringing them to our attention. The last thing we want is to stagnate or digress the progress he has already made.
Jacob will be included in the morning kindergarten classroom as much as possible. He will have access to general curriculum with modifications as needed to promote success. He will have a para with him when he is in the general ed classroom that will assist in modifying work, provide support for social interaction, and behavioral needs. There are so many variables that will affect his ability to stay in the kindergarten classroom. How will he process the hustle and bustle of many excited kids and adults in a smallish classroom? Any classroom can be over stimulating to our kids (which is why we have our classroom!). But do understand that even if there is a time that he isn’t able to stay in that classroom, we will still have that curriculum and many many many other skills we can work on in structured learning classroom. :)
Because kindergarten is only half-day, we do have some options that have been successful for previous kindergarten/structured learning students. It is possible for Jacob to come to school at regular time (7:45), join the kindergarten class from approx. 9-12, (with allowances for him to come back to our room or if he is over stimulated, behaviorally challenged, or needing a break), still receive related services (speech), and then be dismissed after lunch. This is an option if we decide as a team that he demonstrates a need for this. We would like to wait at least 2 weeks before making any major changes, that way we all have some time to acclimate and get a better idea of where to go.
The IEP goals can be addressed and worked on daily within the kindergarten classroom and in small pull-out increments. Many of his goals focus on functional routines (arrival/departure, bathroom, hand washing, etc.) can and should be worked on in multiple settings. We have every confidence that the goals written by the team will be met this year. If you have any concerns, never hesitate to let us know!
Like I said before, we so appreciate your input as you know Jacob better than anyone and we will do whatever it takes to make this a positive experience for both Jacob and parents :).
Please don’t hesitate to ask any question or share any concern!

BusynMember

in my opinion, if it were me, I'd take advantage of all resources and let Jacob stay in the half day kindergarten IF HE CAN, but also put him in the Special Education classroom. That's the kind of class my son was in. Since Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified means t he kids DO have extreme social delays, strange behaviors, and can over-react to stimulation, I feel a small program is good for autistic spectrum children. He may also process information in a different way than "typical" kids and the small classroom is invaluable in that respect. That's where my son leaped ahead academically.

You may want to do some reading on autistic spectrum disorder to help you understand your son and decide what you feel is best for him :D

steph3306

I think we are going to give this school a try with open heart. The teachers seems to really understand my concerns and they have helped me to understand better at why they are doing it this way. It was a little overwhelming at first but now that things have calmed down and I have had time to think about it, I am adjusting to it.
Thanks

nvts

Steph! This teacher really seems to have it together! I'd give it a shot if I were in your shoes (we always got the nut job teachers! ;)).

As she said, the goals can be adjusted on his IEP on a daily basis.

Take a deep breath - right now his diagnosis is Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) and autism, when he's 7 or so it could change to Aspergers and things might become clearer!

Beth