I entertained the neighborhood this morning!

donna723

But not exactly on purpose and I really hope they were all sleeping in!

I had just gotten up, hadn't even sipped my coffee yet, and I opened the front door to put Freebie on her tie out so she could potty. I had just let Trace out of his crate and ordinarily, if I open the door, I just tell him to "Sit" and he sits right down where he is and doesn't go near the door. Not this morning! He zipped right through my feet and before I knew it, he had run across the street and was frolicking through the church parking lot. I followed him, in hot pursuit, wearing my ratty old blue bathrobe and fuzzy slippers! He thought it was a game and as soon as I'd get close to him he'd dart off again, the little booger! He didn't make it easy either. He was running through ditches and cutting through people's back yard, having a wonderful time, with me right behind him! I followed him for TWO BLOCKS before I finally got him cornered by the back stairs in the yard of a total stranger! It was like he suddenly came to his senses and he just sat down and looked guilty and embarassed, waiting for me to pick him up. I finally got him but because I hadn't had time to grab a leash, I had to carry his chunky little butt all the way home - and he's put on four good solid pounds in the short time I've had him. Got him home and he was very contrite and apologetic. Then he tried it AGAIN ... but I'm on to him now. He wasn't trying to run away, he was just having a big adventure and wasn't ready to stop yet. Scared me silly though!

So if you hear stories about a deranged looking wild-haired 64 year old woman running through town in an old blue bathrobe and fuzzy slippers, leaping over ditches and foraging through people's back yards ... that WASN"T me! Yeah, it was someone else who just happens to look just like me ... with a dog just like mine! That's it!

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
LoL...good thing he's a Boston. I had my German Shepherd pull this shortly after I moved to WI. He was returned by a police department dog handler and I got a big, fat ticket.

No way was I chasing that dog--he'd taken off after a herd of deer.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Snort.

*twitch*

*blink*

*cough*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kinda reminds me of a story someone told me once about their pet pig, a fence and undies and a t-shirt. ;)

Consider it your excercise for the day Donna!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl:

I won't chase them. It makes it worse because they DO think you're playing a game called Chase me Momma!! Unfortunately dogs love that game and their people nearly go crazy over it.

They usually don't go far if you don't chase them. If they won't come when called......well, I've been know to resort to bribery. lol And I always PRAISE them when they come home and lavish them with love. Of course I really want to scream at them something fierce. But I've learned this method works wonders.

He looks onary. Odds are you'll be chasing him again as soon as he works out his plan. lol

donna723

Lisa, I know better than to chase them, I was more following along behind him, trying not to lose sight of him, and trying to get him to come to me - which he was not ready to do. This little one likes to play 'keep away', even in the house! I did lose sight of him a few times and it scared me to death! He's strictly an indoor dog, not street smart at all. I know that after a while he would have tired of it and wanted to come home but by that time he would have been so far away, he never would have found it! He would have been hopelessly lost - again! Or picked up by one of our local yahoos ... which could even be worse.

This is my little one and I worry so much that he will get hurt. Bostons can get eye injuries so easily and I'm so afraid something will happen to the other eye and he will be blind! He has no depth perception and runs in to things because of it. While he was out he was running through bushes and the shrubbery in people's yard, etc. And I live right in the middle of a small town, a half block away from the main street which is a heavily traveled state road. With him, there is no such thing as just waiting for him to get tried of exploring and find his way home. My other two have both gotten out a few times but with them, they never left the yard and I got both of them to come in just by opening the front door and calling them. With Katy, I just yelled, "Wanna eat?" and she ran right in the door! Not him!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Donna, I understand. It's embarassing but what's a doggie mom to do? There isn't a hope in Hades that I'd be able to catch any of my guys. Fortunately, everyone in the neighborhood knows them. Even neighbors I don't know will bring them back. All the puppies have my cell phone number on their tags.

I once had the unfortunate experience of being in my car in my ratty bathrub driving in the neighborhood looking for HoneySue. I got a call from a frantic commuter who had HS in her car to keep her from being hit on a main road during rush hour. I tore over there, got out of my truck with all those people watching on their morning commute. I'm sure there was a good chuckle going on as they watched the crazy lady with her bathroom, wild hair and slippers. At least HS was safe.

The idea of one of my honey's getting hit by a car because I was lacking in my ability to keep them safe would devastate me. I have put the fear of God in my difficult child about my dogs safety. He is more meticulous than anyone at this point.

I know how worried, embarrassed and annoyed you must be today but your little guy is safe.

Lothlorien

Anytime my dog got loose, I'd call her name and then run the opposite direction (away from her).....she'd chase me!

Donna, at least your blue robe wasn't flapping in the wind and showing off the goods! haha ( or was it?)

donna723

Loth, that works with my other dogs but it didn't with Trace. He was determined to get as much exploring in as he could before I caught up with him ... and he did!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Donna, I responded to this yesterday but it must have gotten lost in the new update. No matter.
I also have been known to jump out of the pick up in my bathrobe, fuzzy slipper and bed head to rescue
Honeysue. A woman found her near the more traveled road during rush hour and called the cell phone number on her tag. It's a good thing since I was driving around trying to find my wanderer. I jumped out to the enjoyment of the commuters, I'm sure. Sweet Honeysue was sitting in the back seat as pleased as could be for her big adventure.
CB will wander the woods if I let him loose for about a 1/2 hr and returns. He knows where his bread is buttered. LOL. The two younger babies would wander and look for some excitement too.

So I feel your pain. Glad he is safe and settled.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have a cat who is housebroken. Note that I don't say anything about using a litterpan. He goes to the door and asks to be let out. I hate it. I worry every single time he goes out and especially when he's late coming back.

I've gone on a few less than ideally dressed drives looking for that cat and it makes me insane.

muttmeister

I had one dog who just would never come in that situation. I found out that if I'd fall on the ground and holler like I was hurt, he'd come running. It worked several times and the neighbors all got a good laugh - some even mentioned it to me. But it was better than his getting run over or something.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
i was actually taught by a very well known dog trainer in Germany to run in the opposite direction and HIDE behind something. I've found it works unless the dog has taken off after something like a herd of deer where they shut down and only function on prey drive.

The cat is trained to come when called by the simple method of having favorite treats that he ONLY gets when he comes in after being called. Of course, the little bugger has been known to finish his treats and immediately ask to go out again--figures I'll again call him and he can come in for more treats. He's no dummy other than the litterpan issues.

He's lucky I love him and that he and the dog are so bonded to each other--he'd be living on a farm otherwise.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sorry - I don't see one IOTA of guilt there. I rather see him telling the other Bossies......"hehehe And then.....she skidded across the parking lot in those slippers......AHHHHHHHHHHhaaaaaaaaaaaa and I was like HERE I AM....and she was like out of breath and I was like.....OVER HERE.....and she was like huff.puff.wheeze.....OH WHEN I GET YOU TRACE.....and so I'd take off A....gain....and finally I just gave up...I mean A guys gotta eat you know, and well (swirling paw in a circle) I do love her. But tomorrow when she opens that door.......pkeeeewwwwwwwwww......I'm so gone. hahahahah."