I Feel a bit Special

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Now that I've vented I can brag a bit about the good news. Well, at least to me it's good. lol Although it took me by surprise. :D

It was in the middle of painting class. I'm working hard to get the undercoat of paint onto Molly's portrait after spending an hour and a half sketching her onto the canvas. The instructor had been going around to everyone checking up on their painting progress and to offer helpful advice as needed. Next thing I know he's sitting next to me talking about a group he's wanting to form of artists this summer to just hang out and paint on sight in different areas. And I'm thinking to myself why is is going on about this group to me?? He was telling me some of the others he's including in the group and these are bona fide artists, people who work on commisions, people who come to class as much for the comradare as for "lessons" and to keep his classes full enough he can keep offering them for other students like me.

So imagine my stunned expression when he asked me if I thought I'd like to do something like that and if I'd be interested in joining the group!!:surprise: I said sure, it sounds like alot of fun. (mostly cuz I like all the others he's inviting they're all really nice people and very helpful to each other)

Nichole was not invited, nor any other actual students in the class. For Nichole it doesn't matter as she has a job interview and wouldn't be able to do it anyway if she gets the job. So she wasn't interested.

But wow.

And...........This came after I'd signed up for my nursing courses for fall. I discovered due to all the classes I've already taken that I won't be full time fall quarter. So I looked to see if the art instructor was offering another class I could take. But his classes are scheduled such that I couldn't take them. And I told him so when I got to class. So he said that could be changed! And asked if I'd like to learn to do colored pencil! So I'm trying to explain to him my wonky schedule for fall, and he's attempting to find a way to make a new class so I can be fulltime and take one of his classes!

Double wow.

I'm a very humble person. Honestly. Before the brain injury I drew well, very well I suppose for being self taught. But the stuff I've been producing siince the brain injury is amazing even me. I look at them and can't quite believe I'm the one who did them. So I'm wondering if something got scrambled in a good way to compensate for some of what I lost? lol But it's sort of weird.

And I can't wait to show you guys as soon as I can get pics of them simply because I so darned amazed I did it! lol I swear on my life 6 yrs ago I couldn't draw a picture of a dog to save my life. I know I have one in my sketch book to prove it. Yet I've done Molly twice now without much effort at all and done her accurately. And it's not like the instructor tells us how to do this stuff. He just says here is what I want you to do, do it. If you're really stuck, he'll try to help. But even then he doesn't really tell you what to do because he doesn't want to influence what you've got in mind. (this was really hard until I caught on to what he was doing)

So, hmmm? Does this mean I'm an unofficial "artist"? LOL I swear if this group of artists he picked for the group weren't such a bunch of super nice people I'd be too intimated to join them. We've got one guy who's about 60 who has trained under famous artists all over the world for Pete's sake!

I promise I won't get a swelled head. But I've got no one to brag to other than you guys. My family doesn't "get" art. At. All. My Mom thinks I'm wasting time and money. sigh

But this is just thrilling to the little girl inside of me who once dreamed of being an artist for Disney. :D

I'm gonna have so much fun this summer! Woot Woot!! :D

DammitJanet

Wow...Way To Go. I am going to find some way of doing this even if it is only auditing a class. I dont need the credit.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
What an accomplishment! It's great when you set a goal for yourself and achieve it, but the icing on the cake is recognition from others that you have a special sparkle for what you have done....... Hope the class works for you and would love to see pictures.........

Wiped Out

Staff member
How exciting!!!! I'm completely jealous as even my stick people don't look like stick people! Can't wait to see your work-Congrats:)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet, if you could use FASFA.......I suggest going that route. Or a grant. I'm sure there are lots of grants out there you could use. Cuz art supplies are expensive. I chose acrylics because oils cost twice to three times as much. (OMG) The drawing class wasn't so bad though cost wise.....and he told us where to find good but cheap supplies. And auditing you'd have to foot the bill yourself for supplies.

But I'd go for it. It's lots of fun! I have so enjoyed this quarter, despite the other things that have gone on simply because I walk into those classes and the rest of the world vanishes. It's wonderful. :)

M

ML

Awesome girl! I think some awful things that happen in life often turn out to bring the most amazing gifts. It may be that your brain injury turned on sleeping parts of your creative mind and I think that is incredible. I would like to commission you to do a painting for me when you have time. Love, ML

Abbey

Spork Queen
How wonderful, Lisa!! Your instructor must see something in you to make those accomodations. Keep it up, girl!

Abbey

Lothlorien

That is definitely something to be proud of. Good for you! Please post some pics when you have the chance. I would love to see some of your work.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks guys. :) It's nice to have someone to share this with.

I was hoping to post some of the finished and matted work but Nichole wanted to keep them in class due to the fact it was raining, so no pics yet. But as soon as I get them taken, I'll get them posted. One is a covered bridge and another is a golden eagle both done in graphite. Both turned out very nice.

Oh, and the painting of Molly......so far it's turning out great. I worked on it most of the day today and I'm about half finished. Finally had to walk away before I did something to mess it up. lol

And more kewl news........The instructor wants to hire Nichole as a work study. He doesn't want her to stop taking the classes either. (she's doing very well herself) And is trying very hard to talk her into doing work study which pays 9.00 an hr and to keep taking the classes. Now the poor kid doesn't know what to do. lol And work study wouldn't mess up either her FASFA or grants.

She has always loved a Janpanese watercolor painting of mother in law's. In fact, mother in law has willed it to her. So she asked the instructor if she could attempt this type of thing for her final project. He gave her the special ink and rice paper to use, took her to the library and helped her find the books she'd need, showed her what little he knew about it and told her to go for it.

On tuesday Nichole turned out 3 paintings of her finest work all done in Japanese watercolor! They're wonderful. Even the instructor was impressed. :D Can't wait to show you those either. lol

So, in case you haven't guessed.......we've been having lots of fun in art. :rofl:

Oh, and the ceramics Lady wants me to take her class too........But I just can't see myself getting all excited over ceramics, so I told her I'd think on it.