I feel like my life is an Oprah and Dr. Phil episode.

Nancy

Let's hope that we can help our children and grandchildren to not repeat these patterns.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. After years of thinking my family was supportive I've given up the charade (thanks Star). I guess I just thought if I kept saying it that would make it so. I finally told my sister that we were never brought up to be supportive of each other so it doesn't suprise me anymore when we aren't. As much as I hate to say this, dad spent his life putting a wedge between us siblings and then wondering why we never got along along.

But my goal now is to make sure that this cycle ends here. I am trying to bring my kids up to know that family will always stick behind them and be supportive. They have great role models with my husband's family who are 42 strong and very close and supportive. They have aunt, uncles, cousins who would all be there for them in a heartbeat and I am fortunate to have them in my life.

Nancy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Nancy, I can relate. I saw my parents individually pit us kids against each other all the way through adulthood. It's unfortunate that your sister couldn't see past it.

ctmom05

My husband, who has always known he was adopted as an infant, was found by his birth father when he was 54 and his Dad was 72. This was the moment that my husband learned that he had 7 more siblings since he was 2 years old; not just the one that he grew up with.

The fact that we share life's happenings with well known folks does not really change the scope of what's gone on. Perhaps it does help point out that Oprah, Ted, etc etc are human under whatever exterior they show the public.