I feel like the biggest loser today.

Jody

Oh my goodness, this is a rant. But I just needed to get it out there. I decided not to get the mobile home, just too much work, and I was a little intimidated by some of the neighborhood kids. Ugh, well anyway a duplex that I applied for a couple of weeks ago, was advertised again yesterday. I called the gentleman and he says Jill I was ready to rent it to you, but I never received your application. He said I will rent to you, take your 600.00 into the office and we'll sign the lease. So I did that and dropped it off, and this morning they called me and said they needed to talk to my landlord. I have proof that I paid on time every time, but am not comfortable with this landlord calling because he is not on the up and up, and he doesn't know yet that I am moving. I told them the situation why I am moving and they said that is okay, they said they needed to hear from my former landlord. He moved to Georgia, and the number that I had for him was disconnected. She says she can't rent from me without a reference from a landlord. I took my daughter there last night and showed her where we would be moving and she was all excited. Now we may not get it. Why would he take my 600.00 check and say I have the duplex and then start checking references. When they say bring me the money, to me that says you have the place. Now I am sitting here having a panic attack. It's not like I am buying the place or anything. He hasn't cashed the check yet. Why does everything have to be so hard. I wish I had done better financially. I hate this. feel like a LOSER. People keep saying why don't u just buy, it's got to be cheaper than renting. Um don't they think I would have, if I could have. Also, love the commercials that show you can get a car for 199.00 a month. My kids are like wow thats a nice car for cheap Mom, why didn't you do that? it's not something that happened to me, it's something I just messed up but I never really knew it would get this bad.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh man, I don't get why they would take your money and then pull that garbage!!!

You're not a loser, you're human. There isn't one among us who hasn't ever made a money mistake or felt the pinch of not having enough, sweetie. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Did you offer to show them your cancelled checks or something that could prove you always pay on time? It seems unreasonable to me that they won't rent to you based soley on this one stupid thing.

Hugs, maybe something better is around the corner for you.

Jody

Thanks Jo, I was just kind of down this morning. It must not have been meant for me. I think I need to slow down, I have bi-polar and sometimes I forget that, I get to moving too fast, and try to do too much at one time. Ugh, I hate when I forget how fortunate I really am and get upset about things so easily. LOL, 45 and still learning. Thanks again Jo!!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Call them up and tell them they either take the cancelled checks as proof you paid on time, or you're cancelling the check you gave them for the 600.00 and going elsewhere. Actually, I'd not put over a penny until my name was on the dotted line of the lease, just the way I do things. (and this is why)

There is NO reason they have to talk to the prior landlord. phht Either they want you or they don't. They wanna get this way about it, I"m sure there is somewhere else better for you.

You're human, hon, not stupid

Hugs

TerryJ2

Oh, I'm so sorry.
You know, if you really want it, just make sure that you sign the contract and have them sign, too, along with-showing them the cancelled checks, and THEN tell your current landlord that you are leaving.
Most people want renters. Bldg owners have to pay their bills, too. Just a thought.

InsaneCdn

There's only two reasons a landlord wants to talk to your current landlord... and there are ways around both. One is "on-time'payment" - others have discussed that. The other is "condition"... are you clean? do you do damage? Our family used to be landlords, and the work-around was... to go and see where they were currently living. There is no way the new landlord "has to" talk to the old landlord.

Jody

Insane thank you, that is great advice and will do that from now on. They are very welcome to come into my house. That works for me, but not a bad fibromyalga week, lol.

InsaneCdn

Jody - most landlords know the difference between "mess" and "dirt"... and more important, neither of those are "damage"!