I found the guts. Trying Tenex.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I gave him the first dose at 4:30.

doctor had prescribed it for 1 dose in the morning, but is ok with me monkeying with it. Mornings are generally decent for him, even if we forget all medications, so I gave him half the morning dose this afternoon. He's pretty glass-eyed and very subdued, so we'll see.

When we use the Clonodine for sleep, we have to give him less than an eighth of the .1mg tablet or he'll be out for 14 hours or more, so...

We will see.

TerryJ2

Wow. Sounds like he's extremely sensitive to medications.
I'm a little confused on your bio ... 19 m and 18 m ... sounds like 19 mo's but there's no way.
At any rate, I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Terry...
I need to update my bio. I'm a little older than it says now adays...
My oldest 2 boys are 19 and 18 YEARS. (M)ales. I'm going for a multi-generational household. LOL (just kidding, by the way).
He crashed about an hour ago. So dunno. I'll take it, he was up from 3am on last night. I'm ready to crash myself.

jannie

trying to survive....
What was your starting dosage? Finger's crossed all goes well.

By the way....I believe it really is one of those medications that just last for a few hours and then it is out of your system. Hopefully if you give it to him towards the end of the day you will see benefits into the evening. When my difficult child took it, I gave it to him anywhere between one to three times a day.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I gave him 1/4 of a 1mg tablet. Which was half the original dose (he was to have 1/2 tablet 1x a day)

After the ritalin disaster, I don't trust the "short acting" medications. We were still seeing after shocks from the "4 hour" ritalin after nearly 5 days (nothing like the initial night, but still very linkable behaviors)

Jena

glad it worked. i've been using cholidine as of late and it's .01 mg and it used to work last year on her and some nights it does work lately it's not on certain nights when she seems to be cycling.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He slept 12.5 hours and I had a hard time waking him. Then he slept on the way to school. We'll see how it goes. May have to half the dose again.

pepperidge

Just wanted to let you know that my son's parodoxical reaction to Tenex had a slow build up, got increasingly irritable, then aggressive etc. Didn't happen instantly. Bad reactions may take a couple of weeks to manifest themselves. But I hope it works for you!

smallworld

Shari, good luck. It does sound as if your difficult child is extremely sensitive to medications. Definitely cut the dose if he can't stay awake in daytime hours.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Picked him up from school at 4pm. Argued slightly over left over Valentine bags at school. But not his usual fight.
Very subdued on the way home, thought he was actually going to go to sleep.
When we got home tonight, we had to go pick up a hog to have roasted for my neice's wedding reception, so we got in easy child 1's truck and headed to the Amish.
No sooner than we hit the highway he had to pee. We stopped and peed. He had about 8 minutes of wiggling hands and arguing with easy child about putting his feet on the seats in front of him. Then he crashed for 2 hours.
Back at home, was very subdued. Is in bed now. I haven't given him another dose yet.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yeah. Slightly more than half the dose he was supposed to have given at 4:30 yesterday. And he's still way below "normal". He slept over 12 hours last night, on the way to school this morning another 30-40 minutes, and 2 hours between 5 and 7, and now is asleep again.