I found the spider!!!

TerryJ2

In my bedroom. On the other side of the house. On the floor, curled up and dead, covered with-dust. It was underneath a window where the cats perched. I don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out how it died.
But I do have to be Sherlock to figure out if it's the same one ...
I showed easy child. She freaked out and gave a positive ID. Of course, I had it in a Baggie. :)

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
It could have molted:
To grow, spiders have to shed their exoskeleton, which they do many times during their lives. Unlike insects, some spider species keep growing after they become adults, and continue to molt as they get bigger.
Shudder!

witzend

It could have molted:
To grow, spiders have to shed their exoskeleton, which they do many times during their lives. Unlike insects, some spider species keep growing after they become adults, and continue to molt as they get bigger.
Shudder!

You're just mean!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Witz!

Actually, I found that interesting. But I'm guessing the powder didn't do this guy in............he crawled away to die, so all is safe with the world for now. :)

I am no fan of spiders in any way shape or form. But over the years have learned that squishing them means you know they are dead, no doubts, no crawling away to have to find them again later. So I don't care how big they are, if they're in my house I'm hunting them down if necessary and squishing them......splat! And yeah, once in a while in the yard when they're OMG enormous and I don't want to risk meeting it inside at a later date. Nichole nearly fainted with one she stirred up with the lawnmower and Mommy had to squish it. LOL

donna723

I feel about spiders the same way I do about wasps - they just can't get dead enough to suit me! I not only beat them in to submission, I continue to pound them with hard objects until they're in pieces. Then I sweep up the pieces, toss them in to the toilet, and flush and flush and flush and flush ... until I'm satisfied that their evil little carcasses have cleared the pipes under my house and entered the city sewer system. And even that's not quite dead enough!

TerryJ2

WHAT????? You mean the entire body, legs and all? I'm going back in the trash to get a better look at that thing.

witzend

There's never been such a thing as flicking a bug off of me or off of something near me. The bug is always squished, then disposed of.

TerryJ2

Well, I would have squished it, but I needed that I.D. !
I'm thinking of buying a half dozen more cats to catch the rest of these mutant arachnids ...

Okay, I just looked up spiders to make sure, and got several hits for cars, and computer programs ... sigh.

Finally found the photos. DEFINITELY a wolf spider, down to the stripe down the middle of the back.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We seem to be getting them super big this year too. They look like they've been using steroids. Usually at this time of year they're not too bad size wise.......but this year? blech......... I've squished a few outside to prevent them from coming inside........ones that evidently Minnie and Midnight missed.

TerryJ2

Hmm. I've never squished one outside. Hadn't thought about that aspect. I only worry about wasps and mice.
Hmm.
Yes, they are very, very early this yr. It's usually Oct/Nov when I see them.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I had one crawl over top of me this morning - right over my shoulder - in bed.....and I got up, went over to the window - opened the windows and said - THERE ya go little fella - and right out the window he went - and I swear he turned around and said "Thanks lady - appreaciate the fact that I didn't go like my Cousin up at the TerryJ house....so tragic." and off he went. I am not kidding that they come seek us out like puppies and just sit there - begging to be let out. This one was a light blonde spider about the size of a quarter....spindley little thing....willowly legs. Now he'll go out and spin a web and eat a ton of mosquitos. One hand washes the other? Or in our case here - Eight washes two. Sorry - I just don't get the I'm the jolly green giant sized person v a bug the size of a quarter. It's like Megatron v the humans in one of those transformers movies. Aint skeered.

Kathy813

Staff member
Star, not would that little fella be dead as a doornail, I would have washed the sheets about ten times in as hot as water as possible and then I still probably would have a hard time sleeping on them again knowing a spider had been on them.

~Kathy

Lothlorien

....................barf! I HATE BUGS! Arachnoids included! If it's outside..leave it. Inside......IT MUST BE SQUISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!