I get to go too!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I get to go with difficult child tomorrow to see President Obama speak! There was a lottery for parents but that isn't why I'll be there it's because difficult child is a difficult child.

They are really worried that the change in schedule will cause him a lot of anxiety tomorrow and they are worried how he will react. The usual people that work with him won't be able to do so in the same capacity they usually do.

The only bad thing about it is I will need to take the day unpaid which we really can't afford but we do feel this is in difficult child's best interest. The school psychologist at difficult child's school said she thought I should be able to be a sick day since it was due to difficult child's mental health issue. Long story, short my principal did not agree.

She feels it is the school's responsibility to provide for difficult child which I agree, however, this is a special occasion, once in a life time and I can see why difficult child's school wants either husband or me there. Suffice it to say this part of my day was very stressful.

However, it is what it is and I am very excited that I will have the opportunity to see the President speak:)

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW!! I hope you have a good seat to see him. This is really cool!!!

As for the day off, if things like this are needed often you should look into FMLA. It isn't jsut to cover being out for a week or two, it also covers absences for things like therapy that happen occasionally or regularly that are part of a disease/disability for you or a family member.

This is so neat, be sure to give us a FULL report!!!! Take something for him to autograph and a sharpie) just in case you get a chance!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Sharon, I'm so pleased for you. This will be one of those memories you will always share with difficult child. As exciting as it is now to contemplate, it will be even more wonderful to remember the event together 20 years from now. It is totally worth a day unpaid for the long term benefits.

Hugs,
Suz

Mattsmom277

Totally psyched for you, your difficult child, and all the other students, staff, parents. What a great opportunity! Sorry you aren't to be paid. Yet, this for sure is a once in a lifetime thing. I can't wait to hear all about it!!

everywoman

Well, for once being the mother of a difficult child paid off big time. How cool is that!!!! I am sooooo jealous. I want to be there too. Do they have any motherless difficult child's who need a seasoned veteran mom and teacher to be there for them? I want to go....(stomping my feet on the floor and holding my breath until someone says yes!)

klmno

Good for you!! I think it's great and I agree- it's a once in a life time chance and it will mean more for you to be there with difficult child.