I got carded.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I went shopping at the Super Target and picked up a bottle of wine. They asked for ID. I thought they were kidding. I did tell him thanks. It's been a long time since I was carded. My kids are older than 21.
There must be a store policy to card everyone who buys alcohol but it did give me a chuckle. Made my day. :wine:

Star*

call 911........call 911
SO.........all that exercise HAS paid off!!!!! (note to self start exercising)

WAY TO GO FRAN!

Jena

Fran i love that!!! Being Carded is awesome!!!

sooo funny when we were all younger we hated it, now we are umm mature and we LOVE IT!!

klmno

LOL! I rarely get carded anymore and think it must be only when an inspector is in the store or something- but I thank them when they do it, too. Enjoy your wine!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Fran, first of all, congratulations! Now, not to burst your bubble, but many places have mandatory carding. When I was the Wine and Spirits manager of a grocery chain we were required to do so. I had to laugh at a gentleman who came in every day to buy a small bottle of whiskey and every day I had to card him. He was 92. The first time I carded him he paused, came behind the counter and drug me outside. He said, "You're coming home with me, honey!" (I quickly drug him back in as I was the ONLY person on duty...not so good.) It became a running joke with us.

It's actually a great policy. It's lets you off a LOT of legal issues. In addition, you may be carded if you are with anyone who appears to be under 21, at which time they need to be carded as well. Of course, not infants and young kids, but teen looking.

Enjoy the stroke to the self-esteem!!

Abbey

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Congratulations, Fran! I'm so jealous! I wish my Target sold wine so I could get carded.

Suz :wine:

donna723

Sometimes it backfires on you too! Our local grocery store has a policy of asking for your birth date at the check out if you're buying any kind of alcohol or tobacco products. I'm in this store almost every day and buy cigarettes there. Supposedly they ask everybody for their birth date which is ridiculous since I just retired and will receive my first Social Security check in a few weeks! I don't kid myself that I don't look old enough to buy cigarettes - unfortunately I look my age. Except for one lady who is older than I am (bless her!), their cashiers are all young high school or college kids or other young people. Mostly they don't ask me any more, but there's always at least one cheerful new kid with the fake smile who will loudly ask "WHAT'S YOUR BIRTH DATE?" And when they do that, everybody standing behind me in line immediately stops what they're doing and turns and stares at me, eagerly waiting to see what I'm going to say! It's like those old E. F. Hutton commercials ... And when they do this, I have been known to give them the evil eye and growl at them, between clenched teeth, "MAKE ONE UP!" They never ask me more than once! Might as well ask me to stand up on the counter and yell, 'HEY, EVERYBODY! I'M 64!!!!" I wouldn't mind slipping them my drivers license or something, but don't ask me to announce my age in front of everybody in the whole dang blasted grocery store! NOYB! I guess when you're 17 or 18 like these cashiers, you don't mind telling people how old you are, and it never occurs to them that not everybody feels the same! Sheeeesh ...

witzend

I'm the weirdo that hates it when that happens. Actually, I only hate it at my neighborhood supermarket where I've been shopping a few times a week for the past 12 years and buy a bottle of wine a couple of times a month along with $100 worth of groceries. Seriously, you don't remember me? I'm the lady that gets ticked off at you every single time you make me drag my wallet BACK out of my purse to deal with your inability to remember a customer who has a particular dislike for having to drag her wallet out of her purse! I'm 49 years old, for crying out loud! I'm NOT flattered, I'm insulted that you don't remember me you idjit.

DammitJanet

Im sad...no one ever cards me...lol. They glance up and hit the enter key...lmao.

What does shock me is that we have a new sign here that says that they MUST card anyone under 27 buying cigarettes. Ok, that confuses me. Its the age thing. Really...27? How is a cashier supposed to tell if someone is 27? Does 26 look different than 27 or 28? I would understand if they said we will card anyone under 40. That would be fairly obvious. I mean really, the legal age is 18 so maybe there is some 15 year old that is old enough looking that they can pass for mid twenties...maybe. Highly doubt it but maybe. But really...27?

And...they dont do it. LOL.. Cory is 24. He doesnt get carded. Heck, I have his ID in my wallet. He loses it too often. He buys beer and cigs without it. Of course, he is old enough but they certainly arent carding him like the sign says. But then the sign doesnt say they will be carding for the beer...lol.

tawnya

We have a mandatory law here, too, for beer and cigs. I was carded awhile back by some 16 yr old kid (before the law was passed), and I asked him if he wanted my ID or my 20 yr old daughter to come in. He said, "No, mam, I don't want your daughter, I just need your ID"! I had to laugh then.

TerryJ2

Awright!!!!

You're doing better than I am. I got a Senior Citizen's discout at the grocery store. No one asked for any ID, either. :(