I got the Intuniv covered!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
And it didn't take as long as I thought. I guess I had requested this once before and they never responded, tho they had "ruled" on it...but the ins company is covering it. Its at the highest co-pay, but that's still better than $500 a month.

Now I just feel like a dumbutt for dropping the ball and not getting this filled sooner.

Last edited:
Way To Go -- I hope it works. Intuniv works for our gfg13 at a 4 mg dose. (Takes Adderall XR too).

just our experience --

Good luck

Jo

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
How did you get your insurance company to approve it? We might be in the same boat here pretty soon if we can't get the doctor to prescribe Tenex instead.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I appealed it. I had his docs write a letter to the insurance explaining why he needed this medication rather than another and listing other avenues that have been tried. Then I also wrote a letter that gave a brief overview of the worst of his issues and why it was necessary to get him on the medication.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Shari,
As I wrote on my other thread, I just found out from our insurance company that this medication was changed from a level 3 formulary to level 2, which means for us it is now a $35 co-pay instead of us having to pay 50% of the cost. YAY!!! by the way, why was it going to be $500 for you? These were the prices Walgreens quoted us back in April:

Intuniv 1mg
for 15 - $84.49
for 30 - $162.99
for 45 - $241.49

Intuniv 2mg
for 15 - $84.49
for 30 - $162.99

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That was just the price I was quoted at our local pharmacy.

Now I wonder what the difference was, because I was looking at it in the same time frame...?

I wonder...I have discovered that my insurance company hikes the price on some prescriptions... I purchase some of my presctiptions without having them run it thru insurance - it ends up being markedly less expensive that way. I wonder if they did on this one, as well?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I picked up Wee's script today. Now I am debating whether to start it tomorrow or not. That dentist trip yesterday really threw him off. Today has been a rough day.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Don't cha hate when they do that? I also got quotes from Costco, they were about the same but Walgreens was a little less expensive.

How is Intuniv working so far? How long has your child been taking it? Does s/he take anything else with it? Which difficult child takes it?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am pretty sure I recall them also checking with Walgreen's and the price was not much different.... but I dunno. I just know that now its covered.

We only had him on it for about a month. Oh, I recall now... We had a month's worth of samples, and it seemed to be working well for him. I was working with his SpEd teacher, and the 2mg dose was too much for the early morning, but he needed a boost around lunchtime. So the doctor wrote a script to give him 1mg in the am, and another 1mg around noon - which is why it was $500 - my ins would pay nothing.

That was back in the spring, so, we haven't had a chance to really try it for any length of time yet, but its the only medication that hasn't absolutely backfired so far. I just picked up the script today, so we'll be trying it again soon.

This is my Wee difficult child. He's 8 now. And the report I'm getting from school today suggest I may not be giving him this tomorrow, either. Darned dentist....grrr. It takes so little to absolutely turn his world upside down.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Well good luck with it. I hope it works well for you (and me)! My difficult child is also 8. Poor little guys.