I graduated

N

Nomad

Several years ago, I came to this forum lost and drained and most of the reasons why were difficult child related.

I had put my life on hold for nearly 20 years to help care for my difficult child adopted daughter and gave up much.

AT some point I realized that I needed to move on...

2+ years ago, I enrolled in graduate school...bottom line...I graduated on Saturday.

For the past week, I have been in a daze...there is a little more to be done, but the end is obviously here. Good friends gave me a lovely dinner this past weekend. It was a memorable experience.

I just want to encourage everyone, especially those whose children are approaching 18 and certainly those whose difficult children are 18 and over, to move forwad with your lives.

This has been a wonderful, awesome, terrific experience. It has been hard to the bone at times, but so very worth it. I do NOT recall being this happy many many years. I am MOST grateful to myself for pushing forward, my husband, my many kind and caring friends and for those on this forum who offered a friendly word of advice when most needed.
Thank you. :D

Last edited:

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Congratulations, Nomad! What an accomplishment. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I admire that you didn't stay beaten down by life and your difficult child.

D

Doddlin

Wow! Good for you. I put my education plans on hold a few years back feeling I was robbing the kids since I work full time as well. I figured as they were teens, I needed to be home. Ick. I regret that, really I do. I'm set to start up again this fall. Me time here I come.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That is awesome! Congratulations Nomad!!!

I have started and stalled over the years since my girls were little, but each class is a step forward and something I count for me. So true. I received my congratulatory letter for making the Dean's list this last semester!

Yeah for you~

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Congratulations! I am currently looking into picking up one or two college courses at our local technical school. Probably IT stuff as I'm six years out of date.

I am curious as to whether properly medicated I can handle dipping my toes back into the IT world. I draw SSDI, but I'd love to be able to work in my field again.

susiestar

Roll With It
WOOO HOOOOO!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! I am so PROUD of you!!!!!!

You really inspire us to keep pushing on our dreams for ourselves!!!

Thank you for letting us be a part of this, and for sharing the rest of your life, creativity and wisdom with us. (YES, WISDOM!! Though you may not feel wise, you often share ideas and/or impressions with us that show how truly wise you are. We see it, even if you don't!!)

Make sure you do something just for YOU to commemorate this time, and this feeling. Tattoo maybe??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:D:D:DHUGE CONGRATS!!!!!!:D:D:D

Going back to school has been the hardest most challenging thing I've ever done........especially since I did it with teen difficult children in the house. lol But because of it, I have rediscovered the person I was before children, before difficult children.

I graduate in about 9 weeks.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Congrats and sage advice about moving forward in YOUR life. I think too many of us have put our lives on hold to deal with difficult children. So if you have been thinking about taking a class, or just getting out of the house for an hour, please do it for YOU. I went back to school and got a second degree in a totally different field and it was great to get out and see "normal" for awhile............

Nancy

Congratulations. I remember when you first came here and we have shared many of the same experiences. You will go on to help many people in your work, you have already helped me for years. I am proud of you, I know it was hard work.

Nancy