I guess I'm getting old

slsh

member since 1999
Very blue this evening (well, okay... bluer than usual ;) ). My baby boy is turning 17 tomorrow. Yep, old Weeburt is a year away from adulthood. :crying: I don't know where the time has gone, but it simply doesn't seem possible old Wee will be 17. Seems like just yesterday he was so excited because he could reach up and touch the top of my head with his hand. Now he rests his chin on my head.

Aside from a couple of years of homework wars and a bad period related to thank you's junk, he has been the *easiest* kid. Was stoic from conception - rarely kicked me to the point I was a wreck waiting for him to move those last months, LOL. Came 10 days late (a procrastinator from the start), and then didn't feel like eating once he did get here, so they had to tube feed him. Quiet, never cried. Didn't talk until well after 3 (except for "M&Ms", pronounced el-m-el-m-el-m-el-m-el-m's - rolling your tongue). I think he just didn't have a whole lot to say. Adamantly refused to have his 4th birthday. Isn't that funny? It was Arthur-themed, but no amt of bribery could get him to participate. He had just decided he didn't want to be 4.

We went to the zoo when he was 4, and he spent the entire day stomping up and down the paths, muttering to himself, "I just don't have time for this. I just don't have time for this. I just don't have time for this." :rofl: I had one of my childhood friends with- me, and she was utterly baffled, wondering if he had a business appointment or what, LOL. To this day, he hates the zoo. I just guffawed when his Biology class had a field trip there 2 years ago. Watch him become a vet, LOL.

He's been the most atypical teen boy I've ever seen. Well, for the most part. We still have communication issues, especially since he speaks only Spanish most of the time now. Went thru the monosyllabic grunts at 13-14. Combined with his voice dropping several octaves to a range where I swear only earthworms can understand him... yeah, communication hasn't been great. But he's always been spontaneously affectionate, and helpful (when asked). Horribly unmotivated and still a procrastinator extraordinaire, but I've bitten my tongue off the past 2 years (detachment) and he's finally seemingly found a good balance in terms of school work (GPA 4.4... okay, I can live with- that ;) ).

I worry about him horribly. He's always marched to his own drummer, which I do think is good, but I worry about him heading off to college in (gulp) 1-1/2 years. Still not sure where, though I've been campaigning for MIT in Boston for years. He's a math genius, no lie (hates English - "I already speak it, why do I have to take classes?!!!!"). I think he'd thrive in that kind of intellectual setting, but I worry about how he'll do socially. Not that socializing is his cup of tea, but ... doesn't it have to be, eventually, at least kinda?

He's a great kid. I think he was my respite baby, after having 2 high-needs kids, but as adulthood looms I'm feeling a bit sad that I didn't spend as much time as I should have with him. He does have a wicked sharp sense of humor, and I love to be around him. I'm kinda worried he's going to leave for college and never come home (and really, who could blame him? We're nuts around here!).

Anyway, feeling old and like time has just flown past. Happy birthday to my Weeburt.

DammitJanet

My heavens Sue, I cannot believe Weeburt is 17! We are getting too darned old. I swear we must have joined this board when we were only teens..lol. Yeah thats it, lmao. Gosh he is crazy smart. MIT would be great. Did I ever tell you my grandfather worked there? That would be a wonderful place to go to school. He wouldnt have trouble adjusting to the climate...lol.

Gosh...I am just floored he can be this grown up...Seems like just yesterday thank you was 7!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Congratulations for making it this far Sue.......I'm with Janet....posts like this while wonderful for your reminiscence make me feel old as dirt.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEE BURT!!!!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG! Wee is 17?? :faint:

Now I feel old too. He was just............you know just.........omg. I swear each year passes faster and faster.

Happy birthday to Wee Burt! :)

trinityroyal

Happy Birthday Weeburt!

(Time does indeed fly)

And yes, MIT would be a great fit. I'm not sure if Weeburt is interested in it, but he sounds like he has the right personality for IT.

lovemysons

Happy Birthday to your Weeburt!

And why is it that the older we get the faster time seems to go?
husband and I sure do notice it.

LMS

Fran

Former desparate mom
slsh, I will always think of Wee as the little brother but he is on the cusp of adulthood.
My easy child is a man who goes his own way so I understand your worry. easy child left the day after high school graduation and has never spent more than 2 weeks a year at home in almost 5 yrs. Fortunately, he is loving and responsible. Works a lot and goes to school. He will graduate in May. Although he didn't do it my way, he is a good young man who will always have his own mind. He never went for peer pressure in any way. I am grateful that he has a mind of his own and doesn't just give in to my strong suggestions. LOL.
I do feel very old and a little lost with nothing pressing for my attention. difficult child is still not 100% independent but I keep my distance. I'm still working on creating the next chapter in my life. We still have much to give and hopefully mom's without children at home are not throw aways. We can contribute and have meaningful lives.
I know what you mean about being a little out of sorts.
Good luck to Wee. Being different and socially awkward is sort of a prerequisite to MIT isn't it? Good luck to him.

busywend

I was going to say the same thing Fran said - I think socially awkward will be the norm at MIT.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Wee!!!!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Omg Sue. I have always lived with having absolutely no concept of time -just meander from day to day and when I read about one of our kids on here, it just blows me away - 17 - really????? LOL

He sounds like an absolutely wonderful young man and I love his sense of humor.

Happy Birthday Wee

Marcie

slsh

member since 1999
My dad was the class of '56 at MIT, so I've been cultivating the idea of Wee following in his grandfather's footsteps. We shall see.

I'm sure Wee will do just fine wherever he goes, whatever he does. It's just gone by too fast.