I hate this point of view on anti-anxiety medications and antidepressants

TerryJ2

It perpetuates the notion that all medications are going to dull you. I think this woman was just on the wrong dosage.
Plus, with-the little quip at the end, I don't know if she's kidding or not.
I love quoting Captain Kirk (from the original series) in the episode when he had a chance to erase his memories and become one with-the universe, and he says, "I need my pain."
But if your pain prevents you from functioning, then you've got to do something about it.
I have a friend who is bipolar and refuses to go on medications because of blather like this. Grrr. He could be so much happier, be so much more ... but he spends so much time in bed, sleeping ... so little time manic (when he's most fun) and even littler time in between.
And then there's my older sister who thinks you have to be crazy if you're on medications.
Oh well.
So, I'll get off of my soapbox and give you the URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paulina-porizkova/ending-a-midlife-affair-with-meds_b_862442.html

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sounds to me like she was on the wrong thing for her.

If her anxiety is that bad... Wow, I have lived like that. I hated it.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm sure her point of view is accurate to some degree. Kinda like the ADHD diagnosis, there's probably a ton more diagnosis'ed with it than truly have the problem. My guess is AD's are in the same boat.

BUT....you're right...publicity like this just hurts those that really do need the medication. How sad.

(Ps - the Brooms share this attitude, as well. Therapy, medication, anything of the sort means you are a "lesser" person; as Chuck would say - "weak". Then again, they were also shocked and taken aback when a couple divorced and the woman sought child support for their 2 adopted children; the nerve they had....)

Steely

A facebook friend posted this as "interesting", and I posted back to her - "not - it simply spreads more anti-medication rhetoric". She deleted the whole post.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oh no-------I just wanted to hear that guy growl---------yeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......lol.

Ya'll know I'm not married yet.

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know what else? I'm trying on line belly dancing with these two sisters from Arabia. FUN- and my butt hurts. but I'm looking mahvelous - and it picks my spirits up........and I'm looking at scarves in a whole new way.

TerryJ2

Steely, did she delete it because she agreed with-you and didn't want to perpetuate the point of view, or because she was embarrassed or what?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, in honesty, I know several people who share her views who tried many medications with the same results.

And I have to say, I had some of the same issues when I was on medications too.........and might have been medications combined with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) but I couldn't hold a train of thought on them for very long. Oh they worked for what they were meant to do......reduce my anxiety and PTSD down to manageable and make it possible for me to sleep......But in order to go to school I had to wean off them.

Klonopin for me was a Godsend, and I'll tell you what I'd take it again in a heartbeat, side effects or no side effects. That for my anxiety, was great. For the first time since the accident the muscles in my upper back relaxed and stopped hurting......I didn't have this overhanging feeling that something dreadful was about to happen all the time. by the way those upper back muscles have been in knots since I stopped taking it.

I see her point of view, but if she was as bad as she said she was when she decided she needed help to deal with it..........then you svck it up and deal with the side effects, or look for other medications that work better........because it's helping.

And it does give anti-anxiety medications and AD's a bad rep with the public, which irks me. If you take medications for seizures, there are side effects. medications for other things.........again side effects. No medication is perfect and the amt of side effects will vary from person to person. Some will have a lot, others will have none, some will be in the middle. The point of any medication is does the benefit outweigh the side effects.

TerryJ2

I agree. First, that if she was that bad, she should have stayed on the medications.
Second, that there is always "acceptable risk" and people who say there are no risks have their heads in the clouds.