I hate to see centuries of tradition end...

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvNnmFtgI"]YouTube - Swiss Spaghetti Harvest 1957[/ame]

Hope the site works, if not, here is the text:

On April 1, 1957 the British news show Panorama broadcast a three-minute segment about a bumper spaghetti harvest in southern Switzerland. The success of the crop was attributed both to an unusually mild winter and to the “virtual disappearance of the spaghetti weevil.” The audience heard Richard Dimbleby, the show’s highly respected anchor, discussing the details of the spaghetti crop as they watched video footage of a Swiss family pulling pasta off spaghetti trees and placing it into baskets. The segment concluded with the assurance that, “For those who love this dish, there’s nothing like real, home-grown spaghetti.” The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest hoax generated an enormous response. Hundreds of people phoned the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this query the BBC diplomatically replied, “Place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best.”
To this day the Panorama broadcast remains one of the most famous and popular April Fool’s Day hoaxes of all time. It is also believed to be the first time the medium of television was used to stage an April Fool’s Day hoax.

Happy April Fools to you all.

Estherfromjerusalem

Three Shadows, thank you for posting that. I just watched it and it gave me a good laugh (being British, I adore the humour). Did you notice that at the very end, the husband and wife drank a toast from the two gravy boats???

It's one o'clock in the morning, and it's good to laugh. thanks.

Love, Esther

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Esther! I love that the British, being passionate about gardening, were calling in to find out where they could buy those bushes...
I didn't notice the gravy boats, this just gives me a reason to watch it again.
What are you doing up so late?

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Susie, today would have been my parents' 61st wedding anniversary. Yup, married on April Fools Day in Las Vegas, Nevada what could go wrong? LOL!

Estherfromjerusalem

Three Shadows, what do you mean, what am I doing up so late? Every night for some reason it is around 3 o'clock in the morning before I go to sleep! Now look what the time is -- just 3 a.m. And I am going to bed now, I promise. Thanks for the laugh!

Love, Esther