I have a big red spot

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
on the top of my foot just below my big toe. It has a line going out of it along the instep of my foot back to my heel. I have another smaller red spot below my little toe. They look like pressure spots but there is nothing on this splint that touches them. They kinda worry me.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If they have streaks (red ones) coming from them, I'm thinking these need checked asap, as in right away ER type checked. You had surgery right? Is the incision anywhere near these areas? If it is near the incision it could be blood poisoning......meaning an infection has moved from the incision to your bloodstream which is extremely dangerous. If it's not near the incision........is the area cold or hot to touch? Hot to touch and painful......you could have phlebitis, which still needs checked out and treated right away. Phlebitis is an inflammation of the vein.....and can lead to blood clots.

This is one time I wish I could get a good look at your foot. It's the line part of it that makes me want to look at it..........really hard to tell from a description. When it doubt, get checked out........or call the doctor at home. It's what you pay them the big bucks for.

Hugs

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
nope, not really streaky, just the one red line, and its fairly solid.
I have a large incision on the inside of my ankle, and the lacerations where my ankle was ripped open on the outside of my ankle, but no where near these red spots. Basically anything inside a tennis shoe was not hurt. My big toe has been tender to touch since the resplint a week ago, and I blame that on the swelling. I'm thinking about calling the doctor. These are new today. I was't too worried when i saw them this morning but they are still there tonight...

Last edited:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
i wish i had a camera, i'd take a picture but the kids broke mine in halloween and i didn't get a new one bought before the crash

H

HaoZi

Blood poisoning was my first thought, too. I'd check it checked ASAP as suggested above.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Here's a good description. It looks like my big toe is a cowboy wearing a bandana. (thanks, Wee) Its roughly the size of a quarter.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shari, to be safe because I really can't see the toe........and well, the rest of the foot and you to evaluate you.........please call the doctor. Honestly this is what you pay him so darn much for. Call the office and the answering service will pick up, tell them you need to speak with doctor so and so urgently.............If that doesn't work, look him up in the book and call him directly at home.

I've called my kidney docs directly at home many many times, many of those in the middle of the night. I'm glad the incision is no where near that spot or the streaks/lines........while that makes me feel better........you still need to talk to someone, like you said it's new and it's not going away.

((hugs))

susiestar

Roll With It
Shari, this sounds sort of how my cellulitis started. It only takes a pinprick to get cellulits. I had two types of bacteria, one of them the flesh eating staph, and it put me in the hospital for an entire WEEK.

It was four DAYS on IV antibiotics before I even felt human - SEVEN doses of IV antibiotics each day. It could also be a sign of a nerve problem if one of the reattached nerves isn't behaving properly.

PLEASE call the doctor tonight. PLEASE.

Lothlorien

This is definitely infection. You need to call doctor asap. Leave message for him. If he doesn't return your call in a few hours, go to the emergency room. You need antibiotics right away. Don't wait. The sooner you get on antibiotics, the better.

nvts

Get thee to a doctor right away lass...me thinks there is something afoot! (Go to the doctor!)

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
It is definitely why you feel cruddy. I thought I could sleep off the infection in my leg, so I waited and slept. They told me if I had waited another day or more I would have had the infection eat the bone and likely would have lost either the leg or my life.

This is NOT a joke. Go NOW.

Post when you can after you see the doctor.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Was on phone. Caught a gal nurse from his office on her way home and she stopped in. She just left. Not sure what it is, but she does not think its infected.

susiestar

Roll With It
Take some of whatever pain medications you have and GO TO SLEEP. Anything that MUST be done will be done tomorrow or even later. Feel better soon!