I have a dumb question

klmno

When a male goes to the prom, does the parent get the carnation for the male sometimes or is it always the date?

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Last year when my granddaughter went to the prom, her boyfriend's mom bought the carnation for him and the corsage for her. I'm not sure if that is the tradition, but that's how it happened here.

buddy

Back in the olden days when I went to prom I bought my dates carnation. We were such good friends though and I told him long before that I was going to do that...he bought me a wrist flower arrangement.

Interesting question, I'm actually going to ask my neice, she is only a jr. so has not done prom yet but now I just want to know....

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Way back in the beginning of time when I went to Prom... My date and I coordinated, went through the same florist (there was only one in town so EVERYONE used them). He would get my flowers and I would get his, and the florist would make sure the ribbons matched.

S

Signorina

My boys buy & give the girls corsages and the girl's buy and give them the buttonaires

Tiapet

Old Hand
My oldest got corsage from boyfriend's (both junior and senior proms), she never got anything for them. Most of the girls didn't in the area as the boys "didn't like wearing them". She's almost 21 now. I didn't see any of the boys wearing them either. So I know it doesn't really help you. A quick etiquette google search states that "if your girl is thoughtful enough to buy you one, wear it". So it looks like she is suppose to buy not mom.

donna723

When my son went to his prom, we got both his boutonniere and her corsage. They were made of matching flowers. I'm not sure if that's tradition or not but that's what we did.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Here we order them from same place do they match and then each pays and picks up the one they are giving to.

trinityroyal

When I went to my high school formal, I went to a florist and bought a boutonniere for my date. My parents paid for it, but I did the work of making arrangements.

svengandhi

I didn't have a date for prom so I went with some girlfriends. My mom bought me a wrist corsage which I hid in the bushes before getting in the car and then picked up before heading back home. My D went to junior prom with a date and I don't recall flowers. She went to senior prom stag as I did so no flowers. difficult child went stag, wore H's old tux and looked great but no flowers. Then again, because of a trauma I suffered a number of years ago, I no longer accept flowers from H, permit them in the house or buy them for anybody. I was never a flower person to begin with - I actually forgot to order flowers and a bouquet for my wedding - but now I can't tolerate them at all.

klmno

I actually asked this because I was thinking of maybe getting a carnation for my son to be buried with but I also had a couple of other things I wanted him buried with so I discussed it with the florist doing the casket spray and she had a creative idea for something she can make using these things and shes is donating this. I have come across so many good people thru this horrific event.

DammitJanet

K...normally in caskets there is a small box you can put some small personal items you want to bury with the body. I know there was with my father. He had a corsage like you are talking about, his glasses, his hearing aid, a copy of the eulogy that I wrote, letters from all of my kids, pictures of all the great grands, and I am not sure what my step mom put in there from her.