I have a guilty conscience

jal

For a long time we were very careful about what difficult child viewed, played. As he's getting older we've relaxed a bit, mostly because it's the only time husband and I can have some alone time. It may sound awful, but he is getting older. Yet we still oversee, but allow some freedom (within reason).

difficult child is allowed to watch Nick. I did not allow Cartoon Network for a long time, now only during day, definately not at night as it is way too much. He is big into wrestling right now. I can't stand it, but most boys go through this phase (I remember my brother did and he turned out just fine). It makes difficult child a bit hyper, but oh well, right now its his passion. He knows everything about current wrestlers and even the old school ones. He is only allowed to watch it on Friday night, not Mondays during the school week. He does play it on PlayStation on his own and with husband. The computer for the most part is Nick games and he does quite a bit of educational stuff from sites he knows from school. The kid knows his way around a computer very well so this weekend I am going to be putting more security in place. He has not done anything inappropriate at all, but he is 8 and still needs to be protected. Movies are G or PG no R and even PG13 is not yet allowed.

Video games cannot be M, only a few teen ones are allowed at this point depending on what they are, defiantely not all. difficult child unfortunately learned the swear words at school, but very rarely does he use one and he knows it's not tolerated in everyday conversation by us. If someone slips he gets upset and calls them on it, so he is aware that's its not appropriate.

I just get floored sometimes as just not so long ago he was a little kid loving Barney and Bob the Builder and Thomas and now he's a Beliber (ugh).

DammitJanet

Jal....try having one stuck with one foot in disney princess land and one foot firmly stuck with undying love for Justin Bieber...lol.

I dont censor video's but I do download them off youtube so I dont get bad ones. She loves dancing to them. This child would dance all day long! One of her favorites is Shirley Temple...lol.

jal

Haha Janet...I don't want to go there;)
difficult child loves downloading videos, but they're definately not the classics (current pop stuff) and he would dance all day long too. When I left this am he was shakin' his bootie and doing some, only way I can describe it, breakdancing moves (spinning on the floor, then posing).

I really need to video it for future blackmail!!!

H

HaoZi

I don't bother banning anything for language alone - kid already learned it from me, usually when I'm driving. :p

Star*

call 911........call 911
Barney got eaten by a WHAT? OMW are you kidding?

Thats just not right. (snickers off in the corner alone where no child can see her)

Marguerite

My kids would love that. I had to endure many replays of "Oh boy, Barney's on fire, it is what we always desired. We'll dance while the flames get higher, but don't you try to put him out..." as well as comments about "the dinosaur joke".

We have had our own versions of diabetes-causing children's programming in Australia. The mere mention of Mulligrubs sends my kids screaming...

Marg

DammitJanet

Every time Keyana gets in my car the first thing she asks for is my phone so she can watch her Justin Bieber videos. She can actually work a Blackberry to get to the video app and scroll through them...lol.