I have been embarrassed to tell you...Nina's having puppy's.

Nancy

Oh Janet do you really think it's a good idea to keep any of those puppies? You know how expensive they are to feed and care for properly and I'm just not sure that's a good idea for either you or the puppies.

Nancy

flutterby

Fly away!
When I worked for a vet we always instructed owners to feed pregnant and nursing mothers puppy food. I've seen too many mama dogs come in near death because the puppies depleted them and mom wasn't able to get that replaced with regular dog food.

I don't make **** up. My current vet recommends the same.

DammitJanet

I had always heard to mix puppy food in too. We also give her a ton of table scraps too because we have so many of them all the time. And by table scraps I mean meat and pasta with meat sauce or meatballs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
DO NOT ----DO NOT ------DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! post on CRAIGS....for FREE PUPPIES - or PIT MIX puppies ------OMG I'd rather see them euthanized.

It can't be that much different here than in NC - and about 2 miles down the road - is a PIT fighting ring. We know it - THEY know it........but Animal control here told US that unless I have VIDEO? They can't do anything. Dude and Steven even took them to the DEAD dog carcasses in the woods......and the carcasses up until I posted a sign and started BURYING the dogs - ALL PITS.....RIGHT BEHIND MY HOUSE -and I mean like within 25 feet dumped in the woods. We finally called the sheriff last year and they started running patrols - you don't want to know what I posted on the signs I put in the woods......trust me on that.

BLOOD DOGS - are bait to teach fighting pits how to get rowdy and hear yelps and cries and be aggressive. Puppies are used, strays are used. They die. Period. They die horrible deaths by animals that are normally and if treated properly (in most situations not all) good pets. I say not all because for over 25 years I've had Pits...advocated for the breed, and for BREEDERS, and TRAINERS. These monster people exist that will try to steal your puppies. Recently here in SC - Richland County - a pit bull ring broke INTO the pound and STOLE pit bulls - it was all over the news. Thanks to some tips they got alot of the stolen (13 I think) pitbulls back. I know one is still missing for sure - I'm on a watch for it.

When we got Ouixa? We had to put up a SECOND FENCE inside our fence to keep people from stealing her. I caught a car full of men - tossing HOTDOGS at the fence. When I looked around? I saw other bits of hotdogs that didn't make it IN the fence. They were baiting her to come to the fence and then would have reached over it and STOLEN my Granddog. I've already had one stolen from here - won't happen again. You don't want to know what the sign on the fence said either. But when the car slowed down the day AFTER we put up the second fence I was sitting out by the shed.....with my CAMERA and took LOTS and LOTS of pictures.

CALL the rescue NOW -------they'll need 9 weeks to prepare for homes etc. Summer is a HARD time to place puppies because of people on Vacation.......but your "in" can be - IF YOU GET HIM NOW while it's warm? It will be easier for you BOTH in potty training - because it's warm out, and you won't be standing outside in the cold. That's usually a good line to make people think of going outside with a little one every two hours - in snow - ice......cold. Dark.

AND DF said WHATEVER YOU DO? DO NOT.....and he repeated DO NOT........SEND US PICTURES. (runs screaming to the man cave) lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
AWWW.................... I want pictures. I'm too far away to adopt. lol

What Star said is all too horribly true. I would do my utter best to get them placed with a rescue. You could do either a pit rescue or a boxer rescue since they're mixed. But they have to have time to set up room for them or find a foster family to house them until they can make room. And maybe the rescue would help you get Momma dog fixed.

Dog fighting is rampant here, equal to crystal meth use, and since we're considered the "gateway to the west" in crystal meth.......that's saying a lot. Lil Bit was a bait dog before we rescued her. She was just a barely weaned pup. Scars all over her face/body, so traumatized it was pathetic. We were forced to put her down a year later because she could not overcome her fear another dog was going to randomly attack her. Broke my heart.

Our "humane society" has had several break ins to steal pits and american bulldogs, sometimes they'll steal litters of pups while they're at it. Last I heard, whoever did it was not caught. But it did cause the humane society to work hard on donations for a larger more secure facility to be built. Sadly, this hasn't done much to prevent it either. If they want them bad enough, they'll go after them.

We have dogs/pups snatched all around our area on a regular basis. It's why my dogs have not been socialized to "like" strangers or to take food from them. On our community facebook pages if a dog/pup comes up missing.....you suddenly have most of the town looking and we're fortunately finding the strays rather quickly before the gangs get them. But there are also reports of dogs/pups stolen out of fenced yards.......and they're not found again. We put out alerts on folks who reg visit the dog pound and humane society looking for bait dogs or pits to adopt, often we'll post a picture along with it. We're a small town, word gets around, it's hard to keep a thing like dog fighting private here. Had a lady posted a few days ago. Bragged to someone she was headed to all the local shelters looking for bait dogs/pups for her boyfriend. Person she bragged to snatched her photo from her fb account and posted it onto the community pages. I bet she didn't get to adopt a single animal.

When using craig's list or some such we always put the rehoming fee rather high to deter such things. But that wouldn't work with a pit mix.

Star*

call 911........call 911
http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-national/sawed-off-teeth-and-a-dog-named-cowboy

He was found - LESS THAN a mile from our home. THIS MADE EVERYONE IN TOWN ABSOLUTELY SICK......What you don't know - is that they PULLED this little guys teeth out with plyers, and CUT the rest of them with plyers....and he will NEVER be able to eat hard kibble, but he is now in a LOVING and STABLE home. The shelter had a "Cowboy" day for him to raise money to help with his vet bills. Makes me cry everytime I see that picture - but he's an awesome kid. AND ....for the life of anyone we don't know - but he DOES NOT HATE HUMANS.

DammitJanet

Well we lost one little baby. 12 was just too many for her to nurse. She tried hard but this was the tiniest one and simply not strong enough to fight the pack when we werent there to push her up into the middle. The others are doing very well. One of them is a piggy and already doubled in size!

We found out the daddy is an American Bull dog not a pit. A neighbor knows the dog when Tony was describing the dog to him. These should be really cute pups. We took everyone outside today to their new home in the pen today. I think Nina was very happy because the closet was getting a bit confining plus she didnt want to leave the bathroom to go outside and my house was getting extremely bad smelling. Tony is bringing me home some disposable cleaning supplies. I have a job ahead of me to clean that bathroom. Its bad.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Aww, too bad about the wee one. :(

And I know what you mean about the mess. We had a fantastic whelping box set up for Precious, I mean this thing was decked out. Did she use it? Of course not. Instead she decided to give birth in the middle of the diningroom floor on my new carpet. ewww She would not move to another spot no matter what we tried.

TerryJ2

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to say "Yay!" for the bulldog rescue idea.
Is the father a pitt or an English or what? Bulldog is kind of a generic term. :)
I'm kind of glad she didn't let the chihuahua be the dad. Those would be some sad looking dogs ...

Through a fence? :itwashim3:

DammitJanet

We found out the father is an American Bull dog. No the chihuahua was around last year and he died sometime last fall I believe.

donna723

Aww, I'm so sorry you lost your little one! With a litter that big, it's almost inevitable though.

I think contacting a bulldog rescue is an excellent idea! There might be a problem finding one that could take that many puppies at one time but with a rescue you would be assured that the puppies would only go to carefully screened and approved homes. And usually the puppies are adopted quickly. I would be so afraid to offer them to the general public on something like Craigs List or to anyone you didn't know personally because the chances are so high that they would fall in to the wrong hands.

susiestar

Roll With It
Just FYI, the reason that vets recommend feeding puppy food to the mother is because it has the nutrition that the puppies need. Momma has to consume that nutrition for it to be passed to the puppies, and it just isn't there in regular dog food unless she eats a TON of it, and even then she still won't have enough of some nutrients. I do NOT make this stuff up, or just figure it is reasonable so I post it. We have a HUGE, very well respected veterinary college in our town. People move here from all over the WORLD and work for 1-5 years to get citizenship to be able to attend this vet school. I know because I have been friends with many of them through my connections in town and in the school and also from husband's connections and friends. I also know the professors - several of the most respected professors are neighbors of my parents or family friends. Whenever the topic of a pregnant or nursing dog or cat comes up, these very well educated people have ALWAYS said that it is IMPORTANT to feed puppy food to the momma dog so that she gets the nutrition she needs and the babies need.

Humans have to change our eating habits while pregnant to make sure WE eat the amounts and types of nutrients that our babies need too. What to Eat When You Are Expecting wouldn't be a top selling baby book if we didn't.

donna723

Susie, I'm not disputing the puppy food thing for pregnant or nursing dogs, I don't even disagree with it. It actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm merely saying that I've never heard of it before. Back when I raised dogs, we were never told to do that by our vet. They recommended giving a good, high quality food with additional supplements as necessary. And on the dog-related internet boards I'm on, none of the professional breeders have ever done that either. And these are people who raise valuable show dogs, many that have been shown at Westminster and other prestigeous dog shows.

Again, I'm not disputing your word or saying that there's anything wrong with it, just that I've never encountered it before. In any case, there is no need to continue to harp on and on about it!

Over and out!

Calamity Jane

Hi Janet,
Congratulations! I know of a dog rescue place near where I live that sends transports to North Carolina to pick up puppies and bring them back up here to be adopted. They're extremely reputable, I got my dog there 3 yrs. ago, and they do a phenomenal job. Their website is: www.ny-petrescue.org You can peruse the site and if you feel comfortable, you can contact them to find out when/if they'll be in your area, and if they won't, perhaps they can refer you to someone else who is closer. Good luck.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sorry, Donna My tone was off. I was more trying to explain why it is recommended. I was doing too many things at one time and didn't proofread to make sure it sounded okay. I am really sorry.

DammitJanet

I think they are going to be adorable. The black and white one we have already named Petey after the dog in Little Rascals because he has a ring around his eye...lol. He is chunky...and a firm believer on being first to a teet. There is also a chocolate one that is pretty darned cute. We have 5 boys and 6 girls right now. I think Petey will go quickly because he is a cutie pie.

I heard Nina growl for the first time in her life. Buddy got too close to her pen. Normally she likes Buddy and its him that gets fed up with her but right now, she wants him no where around her and her brood. Id hate to see what she would be like if someone she didnt know tried to get close to her right now. I was actually proud of her for that. Means she has some maternal instinct. I have seen dogs who couldnt care less.

Jane...thanks for that link...I will contact them.