I have decided to take the family to Great Wolf Lodge this summer.

DammitJanet

Tony has talked to Jamie about it and asked him if he wants us to wait and do it when he is here so we take the whole family but if we do that, Jamie has to bring some money to help out with the cost. This is gonna be expensive. Its like 240 a night and we want to do 2 nights. I think we will have to do two rooms because the max for one room is 8 and it wont let me book a room with two under 3 kids. There are some rooms that we could have the tony and I with the 2 older kids and Jamie, Cory and the women with the 2 younger ones. That makes more sense to me. Of course we could ask to be next to each other so they could be back and forth. The room Tony and I want has a tree house in it for the girls. And maybe Mikey. It also has its own tv in there...lol.

If any of you ever get to go to one of these...they look great.

klmno

I used to work with a lady who led a girl scout troop and she took her troop there for a weekend. She said it was fabulous...but exhausting. The one here does look great but it's way over my price range.

DammitJanet

Its way over ours too but we are going to manage it because Keyana is going to be here for her summer vacation and I will be darned if I am not going to do something wonderful. This will be her birthday present. Actually, since all the kids birthdays fall pretty much right together they can all celebrate at the same time. Keyana comes in June, Jamie, Hailie, Cory come in July and then Mikey and Mickey are in September. Its funny...Hailie was born on me and Tony's anniversary and Mikey and Mickey are born one day apart and 4 and 5 days after Tony's birthday. Im sure this is gonna cost us around a grand but if we scrimp and save we can do it. The kids and the memories will be worth it. There is a huge difference between being a parent and a grandparent. All those things you didnt get to do with the kids you want to do with the grandchildren. Its the time to stop and smell the flowers and make the memories that you want them to remember of you when you arent here anymore. You want them to have a person other than their parents who just thinks the world revolves around them.

LittleDudesMom

Janet,
I think it will be a wonderful experience for the family! The nice thing is that you and Tony will have your own room so if things get overwhelming or tiring for you, you can go to your room! I would imagine you will take great joy in watching your grands play in the water park! A lovely plan Janet and one the kids will really enjoy.

Sharon

DammitJanet

I hope so. Sometimes I think we are more willing to save up money and give the grand kids special moments because we arent having to parent them all the time. We arent in the trenches having to worry about the day to day things. We can be the fun guys. It is a much more special relationship. Honestly I wish we could have just skipped having kids and just went straight to having grandchildren...lmao.

muttmeister

There is a Great Wolf Lodge in KC and I have been once; a lot of people here go. It is expensive but the kids enjoy it and the consensus here is, it really doesn't cost any more to go there and use their facilities than to stay in a cheaper motel and do a lot of other stuff. Once you are there, the kids are usually happy and satisfied so you don't have to pay amusement park fees or whatever. Have fun!

Tiapet

Old Hand
Janet, have you compared locations? I'm not sure which one you are thinking of going to (the one in VA or the one in NC) but there is different price ranges and better timing to go and you may even be able to find great specials. Since you live in NC as a resident you might be able to find some special deal (like food included, etc..). Also to consider, while you are thinking of having the little ones in your room with you and Tony, maybe think differently. Consider ALL the different combinations to be had, and as you can see there are many. You still are with the kids but you and Tony in a room alone may be a nice thing at night too or may work out financially better. Just giving you some food for thought in working out possible financial options.

I went to school for this years ago, though never got anywhere for several reasons back then, but still have made many arrangements for travel of all kinds for people over the years from cruises to group style travel. I'm just trying to give you some hints at maybe getting the best bang for your buck.

I've always wanted to take the kids there too. I doubt I'll be around for any grandkids, if there will be any. My motivation is to try and make as many memories now as I can as time and difficult child behaviors allow (which isn't much but we do try).

shellyd67

We were thinking about going to one and I viewed it online and they do look so awesome ! I hope it works out and you all have a great time and make wonderful memories !!!

DammitJanet

Tia...thats why I had the great forethought to have my kids young...yes...thats what I will call it...lmao.

I could never parent at my age now. No way in this world.

TerryJ2

You will have a blast!!! We loved it when we went for difficult child's birthday a few yrs back.

However, PAY ATTENTION TO THE CHECK-IN PROCEDURE. By giving them a credit card and signing your name, you grant credit card access to the TV and all movies and video games. (Some of you may remember when I posted here and how furious I was. The boys were playing games and we pd for every min of it!!! We bit the heads off of the staff the next a.m.)

Janet,

I never heard of Great Wolf Lodge so I checked it out on line. What a wonderful place to take your family!! Your grandchildren are going to have a blast, not to mention all the fun the adults will have too!! You're a super grandma!!

I don't have any grandchildren yet but from all the joy grandchildren bring to you and others here too, I think grandchildren must be God's reward for raising our difficult children. SFR

P.S. I know you'll take lots of pictures - You've got to share at least a few with us...

SuZir

I also had to check the place on web (it does have a fun name but I really couldn't connect what you wrote about and the name of this place. The name took my mind to something totally else than indoor water park :D ) So I do not have any experience about this specific place but I have to say, that this type of places were great fun to my family when our kids were small. They loved them so much and they were also enjoyable to adults (if you just can deal with the noise level.)

I'm sure you will have a lovely time and your grand kids will reminisce and talk about the experience a long time.

Star*

call 911........call 911
SO whot yer sayin is ----------you are going on a FAMILY vacation? THE HECK YOU SAY! Someplace relaxing.....enjoyable, and peaceful? Where you can howl at the moon?
:ghoul:AWESOME!!!!!!!!!