I have no Amish friends to give my bread to...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by gcvmom, Jun 6, 2009.

1. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

I was given some Amish Friendship Bread batter/starter 10 days ago, so today I set out to actually bake the bread.

I got half-way through adding the ingredients and realized I was supposed to separate out 4 cups of batter to give away. Oops. See, I was with a bunch of my friends when I got the batter and I was the only one who took some, so I wasn't even thinking of offering it to any of them since they passed on it.

So now I've got to figure out what to do with this partially assembled concoction...

I just guesstimated that it was roughly double the original recipe, so fingers crossed this works.

Oh, and I'm also hoping my baking powder is still good... And I had to send easy child to the neighbor's to borrow some baking soda. Everything else I had... Guess I wasn't paying very close attention today, was I? :wince:

Now I have a ginormous bowl of batter! There are four medium loaf pans and a dozen muffins baking... and I think that only used 1/3 to 1/2 the batter.

I suurrre hope this turns out o.k.! Otherwise the chickens are going to be eating Amish How-to-Ruin-a-Friendship Bread for a looooong time! ;)
  2. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Well, it turned out fine. And now I have EIGHT medium loaves and 24 muffins! I think we'll be delivering some of this to the neighbors tomorrow... :D
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  3. klmno

klmno Active Member

You can send some to me. :D
  4. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

MMMMMMMMMMM homemade bread. *drool*

Send some my way. :D

And now you know why they give some of that batter away. :rofl:
  5. Jungleland

Jungleland Welcome to my jungle!

I want some!!! I loooove the Amish Friendship Bread!! Yummy!!
  6. goldenguru

goldenguru New Member

It freezes really well too - toss some in the freezer to pull out at a later date. Enjoy!!
  7. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

I was going to say freeze some, as well. I bet the neighbors will be thrilled to get some homemade bread!
  8. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

Lucky neighbors!
  9. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Freezing it will be! We'll be eating this until Christmas... :p
  10. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

So the chickens got NONE?? BAWK! :tongue:
  11. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Nope, they got none... but they contributed in a very eggcellent way! :D
  12. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

Try saying AAAAAAAAA Mish....and see if it helps you unload those loaves better. Not Ahhhhhhh Mish. lol.

Depends.....the Amish I know call themselves the Aaaaaaamish. The Menonite people I know call them the Ahhhh mish.

WOnder if any of them say they are Amish American. ;)
  13. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

You say Ah-mish, I say A-mish
    You say Ah-men, I say A-men
    Ahmerican, American
    I think my headache's back again
    Let's call the whole thing off! :singing:
  14. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

I got sucked into the Amish bread thing for about 3 weeks once. It's worse than a chain letter! ;)

If only someone would "friendship" me some sour dough!