I Have To Brag

BellyKate

My daughter started Kindy 2 weeks ago... she has been doing an IQ test with the school counselor the last 2 mornings (we have to do it in stages because she can't concentrate long enough to do the whole thing in one go).

For each section the average score is 9, based on thousands of answers from other 5-6 year olds. Above 9 is obviously above average, with 19 being the top score. This morning he showed me how she is doing so far, and the section she just did scored 18. The other few sections scored 13 and 14.

I have always known she is a smart cookie.

I wanted to share this because up until now I have only been sharing my frustrations with you all.

I'm a proud mum !

*grin*

Marguerite

We HAVE been thinking Asperger's, haven't we? It fits.

Sounds like my tribe.

Watch for big gaps in sub-scores - the scores shouldn't be averaged out if there are big differences between verbal performance and non-verbal. Instead, use them to identify areas of concern.

Too often a very bright but learning disabled child goes unidentified as such - "she's bright, just not as bright as you thought. She's doing very well for an IQ of 105." When the child's higher scores indicate a 'true' IQ more likely to be around 130. Such a child is more likely to be frustrated and bored.

Pitch the mental stimulation at her level, let her learn stuff she's interested in, at the level she seems to cope with, and use the high achievement areas to help her with any problem areas.

Our house is covered in posters, printouts etc (Periodic Table behind the toilet door, plus Escher prints) so it's a stimulating place to be. Lots of puzzles, lots of fun challenges. The younger two were using a computer from VERY young. easy child 2/difficult child 2 was 2 (would have been younger, but PCs were VERY new) and difficult child 3 was a baby.

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
We love hearing the positives! In fact, I live to see positive threads from parents - it just makes my day.

Thanks for sharing.

BellyKate

Thanks everyone !

Marg, the 18 score was on verbal. It will be interesting to see how the rest goes... we'll try to finish it on Monday morning.

While I'm sharing good news ~ tonight, when she was in bed, she called out to me and I said "yes?" ... she replied "Oh nothing, I just wanted to tell you I'm glad you're my mum". Who is this person and what have they done with my daughter ??? :D We've had 4 days of wonderful behaviour (of course, still the usual trying stuff but no meltdowns). She is more reasonable than normal. To me it seems like she is happy. This might sound odd to people who's kids are generally happy. After the change of routine in the school hols, then the very big anxiety producing start of big school, I think she is feeling ok with herself and life, and this is reflected in her behaviour. I catch her singing around the house, on the way to school. Even though she is tired and coming down with a cold (usually those 2 things make life even more difficult), she is still being reasonable and cheerful. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, and have put off starting the Risperdal for the time being. We were going to start it tonight. I do realise we are going to have ups and downs... but for now I am enjoying my happy girl.