I hit a dog today on the way to work. Need Advice.

Jody

I was driving to work today and saw a beautiful (though I am not a big fan) big blue pitbull and another dog walking in and out of traffic. They had not a clue to stay out of the road. They both had collars on and were well groomed and fed. I stopped and then I went ahead and went as they on about their way. The pitbull turns around and really just runs right into my car. I tried to stop, but couldn't. My car did not knock him down, but I did hit him. I was sick, I pulled over and tried to see if he was hurt, he never limped or sat down and had no physical signs. He just continued to walk in the road. I called the police and they said animal control doesn't start until 7:30 AM, it was 6:30 AM. I love dogs, and am sick that this happened. I believe they must have gotten out of a fenced yard. I would want someone to help my dog out. I tried but didn't accomplish much. If my daughter had not been with me, I would have tried a lot harder to get him in my car. I just couldn't risk him attacking us. He didn't act like he would but I just wasn't sure. I am hoping he is okay. If he didn't get knocked down and he walked away without a limp or anything, do you think he's okay? I wasn't going fast at all, because they were near and I didn't want to hit him. I am hoping he's okay. Ugh, then the car over heated. All before 7:30 AM. Should have gone straight back to the bed.

TerryJ2

Hmm. Weird that animal control doesn't open until later. I would continue to call them and tell them the location. Since the dogs weren't limping and seemed okay, and you couldn't get him in the car, you're okay in regard to your conscience. :)
So sorry your day started out so crummy! I hope you got the radiator under control.

Mattsmom277

I think you did the most you could at the time. Since the dog walked off, that bodes well that no injury was caused. I would let the animal control place know your number in case someone calls regarding the dog but otherwise I'd just breathe a sigh of relief that you were driving slow, had seen the dogs and that the dog walked away all on his own steam. Sounds like one of those things that could have been much worse but thankfully worked out.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Should be ok. I've seen dogs drop from much less, so if he walked away, I'll bet he's fine. Possibly irritated with himself because he walked into a car...

:hugs:

DammitJanet

Im shocked...ok no Im not...about animal control. You couldnt do much more about the dog. He was probably just fine if he walked away. You are mostly right that they jumped a fence or got out some way.

susiestar

Roll With It
You did ALL that you could safely do. It feels awful to hit an animal, but as he walked off there was likely no serious injury. I have seen deer hit by cars where the car was totaled and the deer walked away unhurt. Course this was a dog, not a deer, but you couldn't safely do more. It is NEVER safe to get a strange dog into your car. It is one thing to take that chance if it is just you, an adult, but with a child in the car it would have been irresponsible to get the dog into your car.

You did the right thing. By slowing down so much you made it so the dog likely was not hurt seriously, if at all, and you stopped to check. Some dogs just have no sense about cars.