I just called Children's Protection

susiestar

Roll With It
I called and reported neglect tonight. My neighbors have been sending their 5yo outside at night (it was 11:25 pm tonight) to chase their dog.

They have a pond around the side of the house with sharp rocks, no lighting and NO FENCE.

This happens several times a week. I have spoken to the mom, and she blew off the danger.

She also lets the 5yo supervise her 2yo for up to an hour outside on the weekend. NO ADULTS present outside AND the kids love to play by the pond.

It just is scary. Mom is a nurse and I would think would know the dangers. But she doesn't seem to.

Not sure how soon they will investigate, but the local office will have the report by morning.

It feels strange to report someone, but I know that it would be horrible if one day one of MY kids went outside and found the little girl in the pond.

What kind of parent sends a 5yo outside alone at 11:25 at night with no lights and no supervision?

At least someone will talk to them about it. They also told me that if I see the kids alone outside I can call the police for an immediate response.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That took courage for you to do. I hope they keep the report anonymous. I always worry about repercussions, especially when it's someone you have to live near.

Just because someone's a nurse doesn't mean they have any common sense! You can still get the degree and finish last in your class...

Andy

Good job. I think next time those little kids are near the pond without an adult outside, I would take the advise to call the police. A five year old can not keep a two year old safe. A five year old can not keep herself safe. And for whatever reason, kids are attracted to the most dangerous places.

donna723

You are absolutely right to do this! What are these people thinking?

Besides the dangers of a child being outside by themselves at night, a small child can drown very quickly in just a few inches of water. My former neighbors lost a 2 year old grandchild this way. He was playing in the yard at his other grandparents house, got away from them for a few minutes and stepped into a tiny little ornamental garden pool. He slipped, hit his head, knocked himself out, and drown in just a couple of inches of water before they found him! Please keep calling and calling until they do something about this. You could save a childs life.

SRL

You did the right thing. When I was a young girl I was present when they pulled my no longer breathing 2 year old cousin out of the pond. He made it...just barely...and he was never the same again.

Marguerite

It's funny how times change... I was reading my great aunt's autobiography. She wrote how her mother was sent out to work at the age of 5, minding the baby of the house and making sure all the fires were laid, looking after the fireplaces etc. That WAS about 1860, though.

I don't think they had CPS in those days, either. Perhaps if they had, my great great grandmother might have had an education.

Good for you, doing what you did. It was a brave thing to do. I hope it gets sorted quickly, quietly and anonymously.

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Good for you. It was the right thing to do. It will be interesting to see if this mother changes the way she does things. Five years old 'keeping an eye' on a 2 year old? Bah!

I called CPS on my exh years ago after my easy child told me he 'ran up to the store' - BY BICYCLE - to get more mac-n-cheese. easy child was 4 and difficult child was 2. He lived in a ramshackle with a loft that had a ladder leading up to it and there was no rail on either the loft of the ladder. And he had loaded shotguns hanging on the wall, right next to the bullets. He was peaved with me, but I didn't care.

Keep an eye out and call the police if you have to. I'm fairly certain that your neighbor will know who called; does that worry you?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susie* - ANY update?

Like someone hit that Mom in a head with a heavy feather? EESCH -

You are very brave to do what you did! I AM PROUD OF YOU!

cadydid

Kudos to you for looking out for those kids when their own parents do not seem to have the common sense to do it themselves.

Seriously.... 5 yr old.. late at night...body of water... it's not a matter of what were they thinking... it's a matter of them NOT thinking.

TerryJ2

Idiots.

Yes, I know they used to have kids watch younger kids in the "Olden Days." A lot of kids died back then, too, needlessly. I live near Colonial Wmsbg and on the tours, they have a house with-a huge fireplace where they hang an iron pot for cooking. They often tell tourists that little kids died when their clothes caught fire when they were too close.

In England, Bull Terriers (the ancestors of our pit bulls) used to guard the babies and the houses while the parents worked in the field. I'm sure they were perfect for alerting the parents to intruders, but not so good at cooking and cleaning. :)

So, maybe the 5-yr-old accidentally let the dog out and they said that s/he had to get the dog, as a consequence?

This is the same family who let the kid play near the pond this summer, right?

Let us know what happens, Susie.

susiestar

Roll With It
I didn't give my name, addy or phone #, so maybe they won't know who it is that reported them.

No news so far. I could see if the kid let the dog out, but it was 11:25 at NIGHT and that was one of the concerns of the social worker who took the report.

I could hear the alarm in this man's voice when I said they didn't even turn on the porch light for her - it was pitch black out there. I have a feeling they will be watched for a long time.

This is the family where the mom bragged that the dad "tweaked" the kids little jeep ride on to go faster. It goes faster than she can control and scares me while they watch and cheer and laugh.

Scary.

I appreciate the support. Jessie sat with me because she wanted to see how the report was done. She was impressed with the thoroughness of the questions they asked.

I just hope that they take some measures to keep those babies safe.

TerryJ2

Wow, they sound like they are efficient.
I called Soc Svs once on our neighbors (the mom used to leave town and call the next-door-neighbor a cpl days later with-a lame request to please bring dinner to her 12-yr-old son). They simply asked what was going on, took down the address, and that was it.
I called 2 wks later and they said the file was closed because there was nothing to substantiate the report.
The neighbors got involved and we ALL called Soc Svcs and bombarded them.
Still, no response.
We called the police.
The police called Soc. Svs.
That got their attention.:)
Sad to say, the kid is now 18 and has just been released from juv. det.
Mom and Dad are still in jail ... both substance abuse and alcohol.
He never had a chance.

I am SO glad your dept. seems efficient. Small miracles.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hope your CPS pays more attention than the one we have here.

The problem is that many parents simply don't think. At all. Or they tend to think of small children being "older" than they actually are. easy child and I were just discussing this earlier today. She gets so irritated that her mother in law treats her 6 yr old daughter almost like she's a teen, then wonders how the child gets into so much trouble.

You did the right thing Susie. OMG that would scare me to death.

Hugs