I just got a sub call!

KTMom91

School doesn't even start until Monday...but the phone rang, offering me a job for Sept. 2!

Since the district has been cutting back so much, I honestly didn't expect to start working until October.

Let the games begin!

DDD

Way To Go! Are you on the sub list for all the schools or just a favorite or two? In our area once you get on the sub list for a certain school you are on the A list for future calls. Seems like connecting with the school's secretary is the key to getting work. Just wondered if it's the same there. No matter how they do I'm thrilled that you are starting off the school year with a bang! Hugs. DDD

KTMom91

I'm on the preferred list for three schools, plus I've made friends in other schools that call me. I also get calls for any other elementary schools in the district (32!), but after 16 years I've learned where not to go, and which schools are farther away than I care to drive, considering there are seven schools within 10 minutes from my house.

DDD

You must be surrounded by kids in your neighborhood...seven schools within ten minutes...Wow!

My eldest easy child gd completely lucked out by bonding with the secretary at one elementary. Lo and behold after only spending a few days there as a sub, one of the teachers announced she was taking maternity leave. easy child got the job for the last four months of the year. Then...an administrator from that school got promoted to another nearby elementary and she was offered a years contract teach gifted at his new school. She's happy as a lark and knows how important her sub days were for her future as a new teacher in the system.

Sounds like you have the experience and the reputation that everyone will be calling soon. Great! DDD

J

joneshockey

I wish that you were in my area... I am always in need of good subs --- They are often HARD to find (good ones, that is), when you teach in the inner city! I know what you mean about knowing which school to go to and which ones to avoid, since I subbed for 1 1/2 years prior to getting a permanant teaching job. I am not surprised that you are already getting called for jobs --- the good ones ALWAYS are kept busy :)