I just had a realization

trinityroyal

If not for difficult child, my PCs would be difficult children.

Does that make any sense at all?

easy child's high mischief, dyslexia, sensory integration issues and general craziness.
Tyrantina and Tyrannosaur, the Terror Twins.

I would difficult child-ify the lot of them, if difficult child hadn't already broken me in.

In a strange way, I'm thankful. All of the Really Bad Times (tm) with difficult child have made me much more resilient, much more able to go with the flow, so the stuff that the younger ones throw my way just rolls off me like water off the proverbial duck's back. Incredible! Even difficult child's difficult child-ness seems less difficult child-ish lately. Partly because he's slooooowwwwwlllly growing up, but also because I've become much better at dealing with his koi.

Weird. Good, but weird.

trinityroyal

Of course, none of the younger ones has hit the teens yet. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm in for it but good in a few years. Still, this resilience may serve me well if and when the excrement hits the whirling blades again.

SuZir

Of course, none of the younger ones has hit the teens yet. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm in for it but good in a few years.

I was just about to come and say that ;)

Hey, even I with my yarning to white fences and all that was able to roll with my difficult child's truancy, running away ways and social and sensory issues before he hit teens. Only that was when I got made.

But I'm sure your battles with and for your difficult child will be on advantage when it comes to handling your younger ones. After all, we do also learn from our experiences, not just get desperate.

cubsgirl

I totally get it. My easy child would not be so easy child if difficult child hadn't blazed the trail for her. Her teen years were nothing compared to difficult child's elementary school years.

In fact, I had easy child as a difficult child for a while but we are back on good terms and she's doing really, really well.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I get it.

Thanks to the family I grew up in...............I didn't see my difficult children as being to the degree others saw them. Being difficult child in the family I grew up in is the norm.........coming out of it normal........is odd. lol

Although the autism came from Fred's side.............after Travis? Oh, please.......there is nothing a kid can do to phase me. Nothing. :rofl:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Jett occasionally does something that makes me cringe, but after Onyxx... Cake. Now... Meggie just is a easy child. People that don't even know her comment on how happy she is. Yes, she fusses, and yes, I get frustrated, but I'm pretty sure this is normal behavior for her age!

InsaneCdn

Trinity... now you have me worried. Seriously worried. Maybe after all difficult child put us through... maybe I've missed how serious K2's issues really are. Really scary thought.

trinityroyal

I knew you all would understand. If there's anywhere I could express this thought it's here.

IC, I don't think I've missed the seriousness of the younger Monsters' issues. It's just that, difficult child broke me in so I don't feel so lost and at sea when dealing with their junk. Also, I have a great network of contacts already established from difficult child that I've been able to call on to get help for the others. As a result we've been able to get things in place for them earlier than we could with difficult child.

I suspect that you haven't underestimated K2's issues, you're just not shattered by them. Your difficult child's issues have made you better able to recognize and deal with K2's.

Thanks everyone. Just when I start to feel really eccentric in real life, I come here where I know that you all get me.
Hugs,
*Trinity