I just have to brag a little bit!

jennd23

S had to have a blood draw this morning. I was so nervous about his behavior, etc. Last time he had to get a shot it was like someone was trying to kill him. I felt so bad for him, and a little worse for the poor nurseS that had to help hold him down.

So I didn't tell him until this morning and of course he starts crying "can't they use anything other than a needle?!?!" I read him a social story that I'd found on line which explained everything, what they'd do, what he needed to do (sit still and be calm), and he was still panicked but ok.

We brought his lovey (night time snuggle thing), his stuffed dog, a book to read, etc. When we got there he just climbed up in the chair and gave me his lovey & dog and said you hold these, I'll be fine.

He closed his eyes and looked away and only once said "we're almost done right?" but he did SO great! I was so proud of him! He was bribed with donuts & a new video game, but oh well, obviously it worked! LOL

Ellenm0m

Very nice!! I remember the trauma of flu shots 3 years ago, my 6 yr old (she was 3 at the time) freaked out because my Aspie freaked out and it was not a fun day...in fact, we have not done flu shots since then.... Will have to try the bribery thing next time we go in!!

T

TeDo

Good Job S! Congratulate him on his courage for me. That is awesome when they overcome their fears. Bribery or not, KUDOS!