I keep forgetting how immature he is ...

TerryJ2

difficult child tested 2-3 yrs younger, emotionally, than his chronological age, when we had him tested a few yrs back. Sometimes he seems waaaa-a-ay younger than 7 or 8, even though he's 10.
The icemaker jammed the other day. It took me quite a while to clean it out and I finally found ... a laminated baseball card melted inside all the ice stuck in the channel. Gee, I wonder who did THAT? Getting him do admit it is impossible. Grr.
I can only assume he wanted to see what would happen ... maybe to see if he could get it to come out like the rest of the ice. :nonono:

YIKES! Glad that you were able to repair the icemaker. I can certainly understand some of your frustration as I remember when my easy child was pre-school age and decided to put the remote control in the toilet. It never worked again. Good Luck Terry. Try to take some time out for you today... even if it's only for a soak in the tub or time out for a coffee/drink. I find that usually helps me to breathe and regroup.

:smile: :coffee:

TerryJ2

LOL!

When my easy child was 3 the VCR jammed and I had to call a repairman. After 1/2 hr and $50, he said, "Ma'am, do you have a small child at home?"
uh-oh ...
I walked over to the TV and he held out a tiny Barbie doll high heel. She had shoved it inside the slot where the videos go and it had fallen next to the pin. Arrrgh! For the longest time we called it "The $50 Barbie shoe."

That was age appropriate. Not sure about a 10-yr-old putting baseball cards in the icemaker...

susiestar

Roll With It
Terry,

If my husband heard about this, and we had an icemaker, HE would be the one to try it!!!

Something about guys leads them to mess with appliances in the strangest ways.

Susie

F

flutterbee

I have come to realize that I don't understand why boys do most of the things that they do.

Just shake your head and keep going. :smile:

meowbunny

Well, if he thought the cards were valuable, he may have been trying to protect them from thieves. I can remember a couple of TV programs showing people hiding things in the freezer. The icemaker would just be a slightly better place to hide stuff, wouldn't it?

Honestly, this doesn't sound so much like an act of immaturity as it does a kid thing. Not that unusual for a 10 YO.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Terry I can so understand. My difficult child is so much younger emotionally than his chronological age. He does similar things. It sure can be frustrating!

meowbunny

Really? 10-yr-old?
Wow. I guess I have to cut him even MORE slack!

Don't know about cutting him more slack. It really depends why he did it. If it was to hide his valuable cards, I'd chalk it up to his age and lack of common sense. If it was as an experiment to see if it would go through the icemaker, then it is more a lack of common sense with some immaturity tossed in for good measure. If he did it cause he could, definitely immaturity.

It might even be absent-mindedness. I've found things of my daughter's in the oddest places. Actually watched her put her social security card in the silverware drawer. She'd start to do one thing, get sidetracked and just put one thing down to pick up another. One of those ADHD things, I think.

Terry,

I ABSOLUTELY hate the fact that difficult child 2, and in some ways difficult child 1, are so much younger socially than they should be considering their chronological ages!!! :thumbsdown: It is sooooooo FRUSTRATING and drives me absolutely CRAZY!!! :crazy:

I'm glad you were able to fix your icemaker without needing a repair person. As far as getting difficult child to admit he did it, don't hold your breath waiting... My difficult children NEVER admit to anything that they did unless I catch them actually in the act of doing something wrong. Even then, it is usually someone else's fault. :grrr:

Hope today is a better day!!! WFEN

TerryJ2

Well, he's not talking so I'll try to find an appropriate time to bring it up again.
I may never know.
But I do know I have to stay on my toes.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I keep thinking he wanted to see what happens and if the baseball card would come out????
Our most brilliant minds think differently which is why they discover and do what they do. If channeled and productivity is learned by the difficult child he could be a great innovator. If not channeled or they aren't able to function they can become forever lost in their chaotic maze of a mind.

Explaining the consequence of his experiment may help him understand your frustration.

My difficult child rearranged, added to and created new things to the point of my wondering if I had to keep things up high forever. He continues to be a gadget lover.