I know this might sound crazy but...

Mandy

Parent In Training
Has your child ever went through a period of being soooo nice, polite, and agreeable that it was scary??? I know we should be greatful when our children are actually acting this way, but because I know my child I am worried abt. this "calm". It's like Pleasantville, and I am terrified anyday he will totally Explode in to the worse rage ever!! Anyone else ever experience this with their child??

BusynMember

It's common with our kids, especially the ones who have the beginnings of a mood disorder. They do tend to cycle...good...not so good...bad...worse...good...etc.

KTMom91

Miss KT would have those periods, and I was always on edge, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Unfortunately, it not only dropped, it usually came flying through the air.

Mandy

Parent In Training
Unfortunately, it not only dropped, it usually came flying through the air.

UGH, that's what I am afraid of!! So glad that I have other parents that understand now!!! Me and my husband just look at eachother lately as he leaves the room saying "Thank you for dinner mommy" very sweetly. My easy child doesnt even do that:confused: It is a little scary....

Jena

yes it's the way it goes for us parents, and with our children. my difficult child does that quite often and i wonder why than she insults and verbally attacks me an hour later when i respond the wrong way.....than I say oh ok tha'Tourette's Syndrome more like it lol

Steely

Yes, you are not alone. Many of our kids who have mood disorders can be the most charming, polite, sociable kiddos on the planet ~ and then bam ~ they have the worst tantrums on the planet. I believe all of their gestures are genuine, it is just that their mood is really high for periods of time, and then really low. They are simply responding to what is in their heads.

I remember my difficult child having these horrible, horrible days at school - and then I would pick him up and he would be the sweetest, biggest cuddle bug ever. It baffled me, confused me - and for awhile I thought it was because something was wrong with the school environment. I later realized it was just his moods.

Hugs,

crazymama30

yep, we are doing that here, but I am hoping it is the medication change. It has been 4 days of niceness, and I am a little nervous. I notice the same thing with husband, who has a similiar diagnosis as husband.

Fran

Former desparate mom
No but I sure wish I had that experience.
Hope it lasts and lasts. Love the reference to Pleasantville.

B

bran155

Although it is a rare occurance in my house it does happen from time to time. I feel the same way, nervous that a volcano is about to erupt at any moment when my difficult child has the nice polite mask on!!! It also makes me sad to know that she is capable of being so "normal". It is frustrating that she isn't capable of doing so for a long period of time. I guess we should just be thankful for small favors and enjoy the peaceful times. :)

house of cards

I have had that, WAY above average kid behavior, I believe that IS my kid, when he can function without his demons. He is as happy to have those times as I am.

TerryJ2

Ohhhh, yeah!
I'm learning to keep a routine so we have more good days.
:) It can be scary when it's too perfect, though. :)

Mandy

Parent In Training
He has had a really good week so far!!! I hope it's the gluten free diet and our new techniques working!! I am still "walking on eggshells" though... We will see how is does today because Friday's seem to be his worse days ??

Cathyliz

aka Superwoman
Yep, been there done that. It can be scary. Of course, my difficult child is much older than yours so now I ask him, "Who are you and what have you done with MY son" or "Okay, what do you want?" lol When he's in a good mood he can take a joke. Usually he can't, though. Enjoy it while it lasts.

TerryJ2

Fighting, getting rid of gluten has really helped us.
Unfortunately, difficult child doesn't see it that way, so he continues to eat wheat at school and argue about it. Sigh. At least we can keep him gluten free at home, and at our fave Italian restaurant, where the owner lets us store rice pasta that he cooks. And difficult child loves sushi, which is clearly gluten free. :)

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
yep. we just went thru a VERY nice 2 months of that....well, she was more cooperative than usual. Then our shoe dropped yesterday.

BWest

Can't wait to see if his good streak has continued! I hope so! My difficult child had a better day at school which is a blessing...I was praying so hard all the way to his daycare. Instead of saying he hit mot of the students with balls like yesterday, his report said he played with L. and practiced songs for the Christmas program. God is good.

B

Mandy

Parent In Training
terry~ We are still doing the gluten free and Cole has done excellent with eating the foods!!

nancy~HUGS!!!

bwest~ That is great news!!!

Cole had a pretty good weekend and my husband thinks it's the food! I sure hope so but I am not convinced yet!!!:D