I know why no one takes public transportation in this town ... this town...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's LOUSY!!!

I dropped off my clunker van to get some repairs made so I could sell it, and planned to take the bus home.

Waiting 15 minutes for the first bus wasn't so bad. It's the 45 minutes I have to wait for the connecting bus that just bites. And once I get to my final stop (about 30 minutes from now), I'll have a fun (NOT) half hour hike up my steep neighborhood hill to home.

Do I sound grumpy?

'Cuz I AM!

Mayapple5

I could be raining or below zero. Look at the bright side. Take the time and enjoy being by yourself. I always try to look at the cup half full, it doesn't always work but I don't get a lot of time alone so when things aren't going the way I think they should it might just be someone's way of saying 'hey, take a look around and enjoy the solitude'. After all what do you have waiting for you when you get home?

mom_in_training

Yikes....Try missing the bus by maybe two minutes and then having to wait two hours for the train that you missed. Now that bites!!!!! I have utilized the Metro Link several times for my sons Dr appointments and yep, Missed the bus by about two minutes is all. Thank god my son has the patience of a saint. He did well considering. All those city buses in general are scheduled every fifteen minutes for the stops. I have never had to do the bus transfer thing though but have heard that it can be quite a wait. The trains schedule is very limited as far as commuting to my area. It can work out well though if you can schedule appointments around their schedule and are ok with at least a two hour window of standing around time.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Just got home. Two hours from start to finish for an 8 mile trip.

M5 -- you're right. It was a beautiful day for walking up my hill and Lord knows I NEED the exercise. It's just ridiculous, though, for government officials to chastise "the people" for not using public transportation when the schedules are prohibitive of getting anything done in your day.

MIT -- You are brave to attempt the train AND the buses for doctor's appointments out here!

One year, when husband lost his license because of his seizures, his first bus missed the connecting bus (and LAST one of the night) coming home. So I had to go get him at 11:00pm one night, otherwise it would have been a 15 mile walk in the dark. :(

mom_in_training

Omg gcv, It has worked out quite well. Park and catch the train (5 minutes from my house) 20 minutes to O, Catch city bus (All with wheelchair lifts, Yay!!!) from the train station and within 7 minutes I am off the bus right in front of St Josephs. (You know where that is) We were just there yesterday but braved the 91. Yikes!!!! Now thats being brave. I hate that freeway. Geeze, It almost seems that its easier for me to utilize the public transit coming from a distance and a different county to yours then it is for you to use it locally. Hmmmm, Thats just crazy. The two hour rule thing (My rule) holds very true though, The majority of the two hours your just standing around waiting and or like in my case a whole hour if not more earlier then the appointment time because the train either leaves way to early or later in the day for me to do the Dr appontments and be home at a decent time. Thats the bad thing about public transportation, Your on their schedule period to include the train. I'll tell you, It sure saved me allot of money as far as gas along with the wear and tear on my van and there is nothing better then being on the train on your way home (A whole 20 minutes) passing up all that nasty traffic (Should I say parking lot!!) on that freeway. You can see all of it on your way home from the train.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I take the bus daily now. It's a first for me. I am incredibly impressed at how punctual they are. I haven't braved a transfer yet. I just get off and walk home 1/2 mile. I might have to reconsider that when the snow and wind take effect...on Saturday.:please:

Abbey

KTMom91

Back in the day, I relied on the bus to get to school, to work, to go grocery shopping...and I seemed to spend my entire day waiting somewhere.

Since I work at different schools, taking the bus is impossible. Period. I couldn't get to half the places I need to get to. I've considered taking the bus downtown to work on the genealogy of my house, but...it's a 1.5 mile walk to catch a bus that wanders all through town, to get downtown. OR it's a 1.5 mile walk to catch a bus to get one of two necessary transfers to get downtown.

I feel your pain. Wonder if lousy mass transit is just a California thing?

K

Kjs

Sad to say...I have never used the bus in my town. I have taken the train to Chicago. I would take it to work if it ran at night!