I lost my job. I need my spork.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I've spent the last few months training people from all kinds of departments, but was specifically assigned to Wine and Spririts. I supposedly trained this guy a few weeks ago, although he is the regional manager who resigned to go back to school and only wants to work a few hours a week. First red flag. Great guy...knows his stuff.

I go into work this morning (keep in mind the showering issue) and a couple of hours in I get the call to report to the principal's office. Oh, geez.

They want to cut my hours to less than 20 a week. I said no. Well, we have this new guy in and he needs hours too. So it came down to a showdown and me, being the stubborn person I am said I'd walk. I can't work for 15 hours a week at minimum wage. So, I walked. Then I realized I didn't have a car or bus fare. It's Sunday.

Begrudgingly I call H for a ride. Why are you crying??? Just pick me up.

So now I'm officially unemployed. Great.

Abbey

ctmom05

Abbey,

I can empathize with your feeling of suddenly reduced means. My husband is dealing with disability issues.

One thing that's helping us is that we are able to bounce our thoughts off of one another on how to deal with the stress.

I'm sorry that you've been put in this position. Any thoughts on next step, girlfriend?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
OMG :919Mad:

Of course the question bears asking: WHY THE HECK DID THEY HIRE SOMEONE ELSE IF THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH HOURS TO SUPPORT BOTH OF YOU???

ARGGHHH!!!! :919Mad:

Honestly Abbey, you must be on your last nerve.

Hugs,
Suz

tiredmommy

{{{Hugs}}} Try to keep in mind that you may qualify for unemployment benefits since they cut your hours and subsequently changed your position. Check out your state's dept of labor website and give them a call tomorrow.

TerryJ2

Oh no!

Suz Q is right on the $ ... why do companies hire newcomers and then want to cut reg staff hrs?

The only ans I can come up with-is that they want to cut benefits. They don't have to pay you any when you're PT.
And either they don't think you're valuable enough to keep you FT, or they didn't think you'd call their bluff and walk.

I am so sorry.

But you are very employable and I know you will find something FT very quickly. You've got a great personality and since you can train others, you are coachable, too. That's what most biz look for.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, after a couple of hours of self pity, I don't really have a plan. I just am plain PO'd. Yes, they do this so they don't have to pay benefits. In order to get them you'd have to have a sustained period of 37 hours a week for six months. I'd get just shy of that, then they'd drop me down to 20 hours for a week. Start over time.

I'm about as low as I can go. I need money to leave and live. Now I don't have a job. I'm so damn stubborn that I just couldn't give in. I guess once I get out my funk I'll start looking again. It just stinks. Ultimately, I'm disapointed in the company.

No happy camper today.

Abbey

B

bran155

I am so sorry Abbey. This definitely seems to be going around. Times are so tough right now. Hopefully Obama can make some headway and fast!!! Too bad we won't see the fruits of his labor for sometime. Did you hear about the new Stimulus Plan? We will each get a whopping $13 a week added to our pay. I appreciate the gesture, but really, what on earth are we going to do with $13???

My husband lost his job in November. He was the top guy in the company for 8 years, won all kinds of awards and really made a name for himself. They let him go like it was nothing. It really stinks that we are all dispensable!!! He did find a new job, finally, a good one. He took a pay cut, not too bad though. He ranks higher now, he is part of the management team with room for growth. Hopefully you will find something better. One door closes and another opens, right?

Keeping you in my thoughts. Good luck. :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey, if it makes you feel better.......I'd have done the same thing. But then, I'm awful stubborn too. lol

I've no doubt you'll find another job. You are one hellova employee. As one door closes another opens. The next one may be way better than this one. Just svcks the way they pulled such a stunt.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
Abbey,

I am SO SORRY! Take a day or 2 (not more than 2!) and wallow in the self pity and anger. Then get up and go to the unemployment office and apply for benefits. the worst they can do is say no.

Also start scouring nearby businesses for jobs. Even if they don't have any indicators that they need employees go in and talk to the managers/owners. Don't speak poorly of your last employer, but do tell the employer that you need a job ASAP. With your personality and work ethic you would be a true asset to ANY business.

A better job is out there. And don't forget the internet! And any universities around.

I am really sorry that they pulled this stunt. But the hours cutting right before you would get benefits , esp when done repeatedly, says that they are bad employers and do NOT deserve you.

For income in the meantime, don't forget the internet. You can always ebay stuff. I know a lot of people who earn supplemental $$ that way.

Gentle hugs, know that I am thinking of you!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Aw, man! I'm so sorry! I hope you get a job working for their competitor! Next time, don't do such a good job training the new guy! ;)

Abbey

Spork Queen
My direct manager still does not know. The guy I trained is a (required training for anyone) regional manger so I imagine he has precedence. Note to self: do not train anyone ever. My direct manager is ice fishing today. This decision was made without his knowledge. I imagine he will not be too happy. Who knows.

I'm just kind of in a pool of pity and sadness. I haven't even thought about the financial end of this.

H wants me to go back to Vegas. Yeah...not so easy when you have no job, place to live or car.

So, I'm doing what every sane person would do is listen to music, check the board and ocasionally take a nap. I did do the dishes. Can you spell DEPRESSION????

Abbey

KTMom91

Abbey, I'm so sorry. That really does stink.

On another note, what about substituting? You still have your credential, right?

Abbey

Spork Queen
KT - I do have my teaching credentials and have applied for subbing or anything, but they are so hit with applicants that no one is getting in. That is a strange thing with subs, but here it's tight. My father in law is the former superintendent and he couldn't even pull strings. He's a firery guy...maybe that's it. ;) Maybe I should leave him off as a reference.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
You might consider going to a temp agency or job agency. If nothing else you could work events, esp with your experience as a DJ and as a sample person. At many public events they need people to sample products, so you would be perfect. You might also look at food manufacturers and distributors in your city. They often have people to sample the products or even to promote fundraisers using their products. You go to schools and other places that will let you and sample products and try to sign them up to use your fundraiser.

Just brainstorming here. I know you are depressed, but don't wallow in it for more than a couple of days. Do your in-laws know anyone with a business you might apply to?

((((((hugs))))))

Steely

Oh Abbey - I am so sorry. I am telling ya. Retail blows right now. I am just embarrassed at the way my company has treated people. You know good and well, your co. knew what they were doing when they brought this other yahoo on. OMG. I am mad for you.:mad:

I say move back to Vegas. Hitchhike if you have to. At least it is sunny there, and you know people, and have connections.

klmno

I'm so sorry, Abbey. That really hoovers. Actually, I don;'t blame you at all for holding your ground about the hours though. And you can tell your next prospective employer that you simply could not accept having hours cut back that much. Of course, that will work better for you if you are agressive about getting resumes/applications out there soon.

everywoman

So sorry. I can imagine that you feel betrayed. And that is an awful feeling. Tell husband that I said to be a little more supportive!!! I know you would rather be in Vegas!!! Ask him if he'll front you the money.

rejectedmom

UG I hate how little companies really care about their employees. My sister in law was put in the horrid position of having to write programs to automate jobs of recently fired people. He knows about the layoffs before anybody else and he is getting so depressed. He tried to get another job and did but then the economy tanked and they posponed his hiring. His fellow employees are now refering to him as the "Angel of death". He now eats alone and has no friends. They laied off 37 people the other day and my sister in law came home and cried.

This all is so hard. So many people are going from prosperity to worring over how you are going to pay your bills almost overnight. It HOVERS.

I hope you find a new and better job soon so you can thumb your nose at your insensitive past employer. -RM

Andy

Abbey, When you started working there, did you sign a contract stating what the minimum number of hours would be? If the contract stated you would work atleast the number of hours per week that you need to make this job work for you, then they can not take away hours.

However, most places may state "up to ____" but not state a minimum so this may be of no help, but just in case you may want to look at this.

I hope you are able to SPORK IT TO THEM!!!!