I lost my voice!

Californiablonde

I had a really bad weekend. Saturday I felt very nauseas and I was vomiting up stomach acid all night. I also had very bad stabbing upper stomach pain that radiated to my upper back. I didn't throw up any food, just acid. My whole throat, esophagus, and chest were burning. I also didn't get any sleep. Sunday I suddenly developed a very hoarse voice. I woke up this morning, and my voice is gone! I don't have any symptoms of a cold, just no voice. I couldn't go to work today. Also, I went to the bathroom this morning and it was completely black. I go to the doctor tomorrow. I am scared he is going to hospitalize me. In the mean time, all I can think of are all those phone calls piling up at work for me waiting for me on Wednesday. I just want to heal quickly and have everything go back to normal!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sounds like pretty typical acid reflux, my dear. Did you try my suggestion of getting some heartburn medications like omeprazole, lansoprazole, Nexxium, etc, and some antiacid tablets such as tagamet or pepcid? Did you cut out coffee and soda (and alcohol of ALL kinds)?

At this point, your doctor is gonna probably want to scope your esophagus and stomach to rule out ulcers, but honestly as awful as this feels, it does just sound like a bad case of acid reflux. Trying the medications and changing your diet as i mentioned in my other post should help.

Californiablonde

I am taking Tums so far. I don't want to buy anything else at the store in case my doctor prescribes something else so I won't have to waste money. I'm more worried about my voice at this point. I need to get back to work ASAP so I can make all those phone calls!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Sorry about your health problems CB, I hope you feel better and the Dr. finds a solution for you to return to work as soon as you can.

Feel better CB, sending healing thoughts and a hug......

Lil

In the mean time, all I can think of are all those phone calls piling up at work for me waiting for me on Wednesday.

I need to get back to work ASAP so I can make all those phone calls!

Okay...I just have to ask.

Your job is to call parents/contacts when a kid is not at school, right? Surely they won't wait until Wednesday to have you call about all the kids missing Monday? That's just stupid. "Hello Mrs. Smith. I'm calling to find out why little Tommy missed school on Monday. Yes, I know that was two days ago. Oh, he was abducted on the way to school Monday but you didn't find out for 8 hours because no one called you? Sorry." Really?

I think I'd be a little ticked off if the school didn't call me to tell me my kid was missing.

Saying a little prayer that your health concerns get resolved quickly.

BusynMember

Sounds like typical yukky gastrIc reflux. I hate it. For me stress/eating heavy foods make it worse. I eat light foods, not stuff that's oily or like pizza. Reflux causes the food to go into your throat and does cause throat issues, at least it has with me.

pasajes4

IT could be gall bladder. Vas quantities of tums will turn your stool black. Greasy food will cause you to have gall bladder issues.

ksm

Can you just show up for work, without a voice? If you have no fever, they may have to find something else for you to do.

Since most people have cell phones, can you just text them? I know most businesses have land lines, but it would make life easier. Out schools use an automated device that leaves a voice message...

Hope you feel better soon.

Californiablonde

Okay...I just have to ask.

Your job is to call parents/contacts when a kid is not at school, right? Surely they won't wait until Wednesday to have you call about all the kids missing Monday? That's just stupid. "Hello Mrs. Smith. I'm calling to find out why little Tommy missed school on Monday. Yes, I know that was two days ago. Oh, he was abducted on the way to school Monday but you didn't find out for 8 hours because no one called you? Sorry." Really?

I think I'd be a little ticked off if the school didn't call me to tell me my kid was missing.

Saying a little prayer that your health concerns get resolved quickly.
I came in to work half day today so I made the calls for Monday and for the students on Friday who's parents didn't answer their phone on damned Friday afternoon when I called them. I had a ton of make up calls to make. I am glad I made myself come in half day. My voice is still mostly gone. I kept breaking up during the phone calls, but at least I made them. Luckily, for today, I hardly have any absent kids.

Californiablonde

my doctor is running blood tests to check for liver and organ problems and anemia. He also gave me a breath test to check for H pylori (sp?) in case it's an ulcer. Then he sent me on my way with a prescription for Prilosec and told me to come back in a month. If my symptoms are still here by then, he will finally give me my referral to a gastroenterologist to get an endoscopy. I hope it doesn't come to that. Meanwhile I am feeling yucky with almost no voice, drinking caffeine free tea with honey instead of diet coke and coffee, and hoping I get my voice back soon!

Californiablonde

Does your tummy feel any better, Cali?

Do you get a regular check-up every year?
My tummy is feeling better today, thank you for asking. Right now it's my chest and my voice that's giving me the most of my problems. As for getting regular check ups, at least for the past couple of years I have been. In the past, not so much.

Lil

Chest and voice really sounds like acid reflux. I never lose my voice, but it gets really rough and gravelly. And of course, I wound up in the hospital for chest pain that turned out to be acid reflux.

susiestar

Roll With It
Prilosec is sold in generic as omeprazole. The rx version is twice the strength of the OTC version. Depending on what your insurance charges, it might be cheaper to buy the OTC version and take two. It is generally about $15 for a 6 week supply of the OTC, meaning a 3 week supply of the rx. That should help you know which is cheaper for you. The price comes from Walmart, and Sams is usually about $1 less per 6 week package.

You can safely stay on this medication for years. I know, because I have done this. It is generally very helpful and I hope you get better. In time this will improve your voice by reducing the acid reflux causing the problems.

Californiablonde

Prilosec is sold in generic as omeprazole. The rx version is twice the strength of the OTC version. Depending on what your insurance charges, it might be cheaper to buy the OTC version and take two. It is generally about $15 for a 6 week supply of the OTC, meaning a 3 week supply of the rx. That should help you know which is cheaper for you. The price comes from Walmart, and Sams is usually about $1 less per 6 week package.

You can safely stay on this medication for years. I know, because I have done this. It is generally very helpful and I hope you get better. In time this will improve your voice by reducing the acid reflux causing the problems.
The prescription is $5 for a 30 day supply. My daughter was on Prilosec for awhile but it didn't help, but then again she isn't the greatest when it comes to taking her medications every day. Hopefully it will help me.

Lil

Prescription is much cheaper for me as well. Depends on the insurance and the medication. You just have to always get the generic.

Californiablonde

It feels like my voice is never going to come back. I can speak a little bit, but I am very hoarse and raspy. It also hurts my chest when I talk. I have been struggling through my phone calls. My voice keeps breaking up and sometimes people can't understand me. Today was particularly bad, as I had a TON of absences. I can' wait till Saturday when I can rest my voice.